Sponsored by:

81 Dash Pad Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 07:34 PM
81shark2008
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 81 Dash Pad Problems

got my dash pad from willcox today and i go to put it in and it doesnt fit anywhere!!!!!!!!!!! if you clip the sides in the middle bows out and when the sides are in the edge and corners on the outside pillar part in the door jamb are all scrunched up and look like crap, am i supposed to trim the out edge anyone do this or have access to pics so i can try to make it look like factory again???? my old pad was thrown out, having so much trouble with my suppliers lately, wrong years being sent, new parts with paint scratched off????????????? i am sending more parts back than i am gettin for myself. this project is starting not to be fun anymore and feels more like a job now. im so upset i wanna rip it out and snap it in half and say the hell with it all
Old 05-11-2009, 08:07 PM
81shark2008
Racer

: boxing: cry
Old 05-11-2009, 08:54 PM
spedaleden
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts

Is this a new dash or an overlay.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:09 PM
Skip Burney
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I tried the overlay thing, bought a new dash
Old 05-11-2009, 09:29 PM
81shark2008
Racer

Originally Posted by spedaleden
Is this a new dash or an overlay.
brand new from wilcox, walked away tonight so i didnt break it in half
Old 05-11-2009, 09:53 PM
Joe Buck
Racer

I actually think I'm alone with this, but twice I've ordered from Willcox, and twice I've had problems.

On a seperate note I'm currently having dash issues with Ecklers...gotta love these cars.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:57 PM
spedaleden
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by 81shark2008
brand new from wilcox, walked away tonight so i didnt break it in half

If you bought an overlay those are junk. If its a new dash, there is one company that sells for 599.00 but it fits perfect and the detail is excellent. I just can't remember who carried it.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:08 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

81 Shark,

Can you shoot me an email with some pictures of this pad. I've actually installed it myself multiple times and would love to see what is going on with it. I'm sure I can help you!

You can reach me direct at Willcoxcustomerservice@Willcoxcorvette.c om. Better yet, when you email me send a phone number. I won't be in the office tomorrow (maybe late), but I will be on Weds.

Willcox Inc.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:23 AM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this the type of dash cover your talking about:
Old 05-12-2009, 12:25 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

I just looked at the installation instructions from our site http://willcoxcorvette.com/repairand...lp.php?hID=263 and wonder about one thing.

On the help page there are two screws listed on page 7 item 4 second picture on the page.

If you get the clips item 5 in place and then install the two screws item 4, the two screws should match up and hold the upper portion of the pad in place. If these screws are not in the pad it will warp when installed.

Again, please send me some pictures and let’s see what is going on. I just looked and we have not had any returns on this pad in over two years. (Actually we have sold 85 red and black pads since 2003 with only two returns, one of which was damaged in shipment).

This is not to say there is not a problem with this pad, anything is possible. I hate it that you are having a problem getting it in the car. Pictures would go a long way in helping me see what you are fighting.

I can also send them to Doug Swaboda at Corvette America too! He is in charge of product development and will know about any returns or issues that have popped up in this product.

Willcox Inc.

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 05-12-2009 at 02:02 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:27 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

[QUOTE=MN-Brent;1570048637]Is this the type of dash cover your talking about:
QUOTE]

I think he purchased the pad assembly. Even I won't install the dash covers.

Willcox
Old 05-12-2009, 09:01 AM
81shark2008
Racer

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
I just looked at the installation instructions from our site http://willcoxcorvette.com/repairand...lp.php?hID=263 and wonder about one thing.

On the help page there are two screws listed on page 7 item 4 second picture on the page.

If you get the clips item 5 in place and then install the two screws item 4, the two screws should match up and hold the upper portion of the pad in place. If these screws are not in the pad it will warp when installed.

Again, please send me some pictures and let’s see what is going on. I just looked and we have not had any returns on this pad in over two years. This is not to say there is not a problem with this pad, anything is possible. I hate it that you are having a problem getting it in the car. Pictures would go a long way in helping me see what you are fighting.

I can also send them to Doug Swaboda at Corvette America too! He is in charge of product development and will know about any returns or issues that have popped up in this product.

Willcox Inc.

i will take some pics later tonight i have to work and i'll send them to you, when the screw holes line up the dash doesnt clip in, when i clip it in the screw holes dont line up and the corners catch and bunch up, the only way to make it fit i think is to cut it and im not doing that because then i'll be on my own with a return, but im pretty confident that it just wont fit, i was working on it for over an hour and got nowhere
Old 05-12-2009, 09:02 AM
81shark2008
Racer

Originally Posted by MN-Brent
Is this the type of dash cover your talking about:
thats what my dash looks like but its a new dash not an overlay, i wouldnt use them on a car like this either, will post pics tonight to show you what is happening
Old 05-13-2009, 01:21 PM
81shark2008
Racer

worked late didnt have time to get pics will try tonight and get them posted
Old 05-13-2009, 03:53 PM
SharkintheWoods
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put one in several years back from a different vendor. Probably the same manufacturer. It took quite a bit of 'massaging' to get it close to where I was happy. My main areas were the fit around the instrument cluster. What I ended up doing to some of the bad spots was heat it with a heat gun and clamp it in place very carefully. This helped a lot in getting a little closer to what it should look like. It took a while so don't get in a hurry and if you get frustrated just walk away.

Shark
Old 05-13-2009, 06:37 PM
81shark2008
Racer

Originally Posted by SharkintheWoods
I put one in several years back from a different vendor. Probably the same manufacturer. It took quite a bit of 'massaging' to get it close to where I was happy. My main areas were the fit around the instrument cluster. What I ended up doing to some of the bad spots was heat it with a heat gun and clamp it in place very carefully. This helped a lot in getting a little closer to what it should look like. It took a while so don't get in a hurry and if you get frustrated just walk away.

Shark
yeah i havnt touched it in a couple of days, i have everything to get all the gauges and stuff back in too, it would look sweet and come along way this weekend to being done if i could get the damn dash in, my problem is the corners(door jamb area) they bunch up and wont slide back they bunch up but the pad is still an inch from being in all the way, i just dont think its gonna fit
Old 05-15-2009, 10:15 AM
81shark2008
Racer

o.k here are the pics i tried to get it in again and it didnt work so either i'm missing something or it just doesn't fit right, sorry for pic quality, i'm not sure whats wrong with my camera today. o.k nevermind how do you post pics, this url thing is stupid whats wrong with a regular attach pic link?????????

Get notified of new replies

To 81 Dash Pad Problems

Old 05-15-2009, 10:19 AM
81shark2008
Racer

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette

Again, please send me some pictures and let’s see what is going on. I just looked and we have not had any returns on this pad in over two years. (Actually we have sold 85 red and black pads since 2003 with only two returns, one of which was damaged in shipment).

This is not to say there is not a problem with this pad, anything is possible. I hate it that you are having a problem getting it in the car. Pictures would go a long way in helping me see what you are fighting.

Willcox Inc.

where do i send the pics because i can't figure out how to get them into this link? thanks
Old 05-15-2009, 12:59 PM
81shark2008
Racer

i think i may have finally figured it out after the willcox help thread on these pads. i have the pad in but like an idiot didnt get the vents and stuff in first but i'll deal with that later. i was able to get the pad straight and the doors to close nicely, etc, my only concern is that it didnt clip down into the clips it is floating on them is that the way they are supposed to be? because if they do have to clip down in then the pad just simply doesn't fit because it was a good inch from clipping down in and the corners were ready to tear, anyhow if it isnt supposed to sit on top of the clips will this hurt anything? it all looks good and i put the speedo cover in and it looks like it will fit fiane and stuff, thanks
Old 05-15-2009, 03:27 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

It is supposed to clip in on the two clips next to the defroster outlet and screw in on the two outer screws. If the screw holes are matching up the clips should reach the reinforcement in the dash frame with easy. If you do not have them clipped in, I would say there is a good chance the dash pad will warp over time.

If you still need to send me pictures, the link is WillcoxCustomerService@WillcoxCorvette.c om

Willcox Inc.

Quick Reply: 81 Dash Pad Problems