Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie needs Help On Buying or Passing 77 Vette

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 03:08 PM
Love My 72 and 77
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORRRR go buy a clean restored Corvette and take your son fishing to bond with him...
Old 05-08-2009, 07:51 PM
xkeots
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

OK,

This car does run, I did move it back and forth in his driveway but there were no plates on it so I couldn't drive it. The brakes did stop but the pedal was down to the floor. There was full fluid in master, might be low pads, leaky caliper? I saw no fluid under the car. I was able to get the guy down to $3,500.00.
I know that there are other cars and I am in no rush, but at that price I am now thinking.
It started off at $6,000 and I made him an offer of $3,500.00 and he came back to me with a yes.
Wiper motor motor is cheap, fan motor is cheap.
Is the price That I have $3,500.00 cheap enough? You all have more experience than me.

Thanks
Jack
Old 05-08-2009, 07:54 PM
xkeots
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Love My 72 and 77
ORRRR go buy a clean restored Corvette and take your son fishing to bond with him...
I have seen so many so called restored cars that were bondo and newspaper with a lot of Marvel Mystery Oil. A crappy paint job that sanded out good and fall apart within a month of my friend buying it.
Even in Barrett Jackson there are a lot of con cars there.
If I do it myself I know what is in it.

Jack
Old 05-08-2009, 09:16 PM
glo
Instructor

Sounds like you have done car restoring before with that in mind I say go for it .These vettes are not as bad as everybody makes them out to be . Will you get your money back probably not ,but how many of these that have been restored will.All the money in the world won't replace the time bonding with your son.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:45 PM
xkeots
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by glo
Sounds like you have done car restoring before with that in mind I say go for it .These vettes are not as bad as everybody makes them out to be . Will you get your money back probably not ,but how many of these that have been restored will.All the money in the world won't replace the time bonding with your son.
True. My last 77 was a brand new car and I almost died in it. This one will be more of a car for night time when most people are off the road. What can you get that runs and looks like a 77 for $3,500.00? Not much.

Thanks
Jack

1931 Model A Ford
1963 Jaguar MKII
1967 Jaguar XKEOTS Convertible
1953 Jaguar XK120 DHC (Convertible)
1961 Cadillac Convertible
1967 Pontiac GTO Convertible
1988 Porsche 911 Convertible
1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible
2006 Dodge Magnum (daily driver)
Old 05-09-2009, 01:13 PM
xkeots
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FRSTR90
Personally, If I were going to a body off resto, I would try to find one without an engine and tranny, and has basically everything worn out. These cars you might find for $1-2.5k Others would most likely call it a "basketcase". If I were going to do a body off resto, I would not want to pay the extra $3-4k to have an engine and tranny in need of a rebuild sitting in car able to move the car. If you try to sell the engine and tranny the way it is, you will never get the $3-4k extra you paid to have a "running" car. If you decide to rebuild it, the chances of it have quality parts inside of it is slim unless its an L82. On top of that, no one wants a 3 speed tranny unless the car is not going to be driven much. So, when you buy that "running" car, you are actually money behind.

Here are some general numbers concerning a genral situation(no your situation) Since the average C3 project car cost approximately $6,000, my numbers below will reflect a $6,000 dollar car.

$2,500(cost of a basket case)
+$3,500 (premium to have the "running" car)
+$4,000 (rebuild on the engine or crate engine)
+$1,000 (rebuild on tranny)
$11,000 Total cost for a car with a fresh engine and tranny

Or

$2,500
+$4,500(rebuild+core or crate engine)
+$1,500(built 700R4 + misc expenses)
$8,500 Total cost for a car with a fresh engine and tranny

So, with in mind that you will be rebulidng and/or replacing everything on your chasis and your interior, you could use the extra money towards other up grades on the car.
Why did you think that this car didn't run?
I drove it back and forth in a long driveway but because of no plates I couldn't drive it.

Jack
Old 05-10-2009, 11:34 PM
jrl77
Instructor

Pass. and don't look back !
Old 05-11-2009, 10:58 AM
Sebago Shark
Racer

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by xkeots
OK,

This car does run, I did move it back and forth in his driveway but there were no plates on it so I couldn't drive it. The brakes did stop but the pedal was down to the floor. There was full fluid in master, might be low pads, leaky caliper? I saw no fluid under the car. I was able to get the guy down to $3,500.00.
I know that there are other cars and I am in no rush, but at that price I am now thinking.
It started off at $6,000 and I made him an offer of $3,500.00 and he came back to me with a yes.
Wiper motor motor is cheap, fan motor is cheap.
Is the price That I have $3,500.00 cheap enough? You all have more experience than me.

Thanks
Jack
What someone may start with as an asking price can be nowhere near actual valve. ( I think I'll start my '80 at 30k and take a low ball of 20k ) Your GTO has a whole lot more potential valve per cost of work needed than a 77 Vette with NOM and body repair work. mid to late '70's Vettes are a dime a dozen compared to GTO verts. I would look around some more before jumping. He may even come back cheaper.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:49 PM
pbcanney
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well, I dont usually reneg but the father/son factor changes everything

I got my son involved with back yard car repairs when he was around 8. The bonding is priceless. Irregardless of whatever you're working on.

He started helping with the Dodge Dart we had and then we progressed to a few dune buggy projects and now.. well.. here is is 10 years ago midway through rebuilding the stock 350 to a 383 stroker...

buy the car, grab the tools, and a second creeper

Last edited by pbcanney; 05-11-2009 at 12:51 PM. Reason: bad spillinq
Old 05-11-2009, 01:24 PM
RayMiller
Advanced

good luck with the project.. My father did the same thing withme and I will do the same with my kids.

77 rally nova, 55 chevy, 48 ford coupe..

Quick Reply: Newbie needs Help On Buying or Passing 77 Vette