Sponsored by:

price for paint

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 04:05 PM
rebbie23
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default price for paint

what would be an average price to have my car re-painted.

i'd like to paint it a very glossy black with motion strips on the L88 hood.
i'm thinking maybe 3 coats of clear.

car would need to be stripped, sanded and painted.

what should i expect to pay?
and any recommendations for a good place in Connecticut?

Old 04-15-2009, 04:12 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,357 Likes on 2,785 Posts

$8-$10k.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:13 PM
greg75vette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not all that far from you (Long Island), but a good shop told me last year to expect to pay $10k and over for a good start to finish job. That includes new trim, bumper covers (mine are shot) and misc. The big hitter is the labor involved stripping the car and treating the fiberglass. You can't just whip out a power sander and sand the paint off, you can easily go through the fiberglass! My shop told me if I wanted it done cheaper, try stripping the body myself and then take it from there. He wouldn't say what that would run because who knows what I would uncover, or what damage I could have caused. Hope this helps.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:13 PM
rebbie23
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5869
$8-$10k.
perfect, thank you very much!

Old 04-15-2009, 04:14 PM
rebbie23
Instructor

Originally Posted by greg75vette
I'm not all that far from you (Long Island), but a good shop told me last year to expect to pay $10k and over for a good start to finish job. That includes new trim, bumper covers (mine are shot) and misc. The big hitter is the labor involved stripping the car and treating the fiberglass. You can't just whip out a power sander and sand the paint off, you can easily go through the fiberglass! My shop told me if I wanted it done cheaper, try stripping the body myself and then take it from there. He wouldn't say what that would run because who knows what I would uncover, or what damage I could have caused. Hope this helps.
yeah, that's what i figured. I don't trust myself enough with stripping the paint. and really, with work, I don't have very much time to learn and do it myself.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:18 PM
greg75vette
Racer

Originally Posted by rebbie23
yeah, that's what i figured. I don't trust myself enough with stripping the paint. and really, with work, I don't have very much time to learn and do it myself.
That's the same boat I'm in. I'm willing to tackle just about anything mechanical in the car, but bodywork intimidates me...
Old 04-15-2009, 04:18 PM
pbcanney
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you can take a lot of classes and buy a lot of equipment with 10k.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:35 PM
TERRY CLARK
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

For $8000 to $10,000 it best be the slickest one in the county ! With that kind of cash you could buy all the equipment, compressor and a semester in the local Junior college ! To each his own !
Old 04-15-2009, 05:39 PM
rebbie23
Instructor

Originally Posted by TERRY CLARK
For $8000 to $10,000 it best be the slickest one in the county ! With that kind of cash you could buy all the equipment, compressor and a semester in the local Junior college ! To each his own !
haha, well thank god i'm done with school already.

i would buy everything and do it myself, but i don't see me having time to learn and do it myself anytime soon.
i wish i could...
Old 04-15-2009, 07:22 PM
Sportsdude
Race Director

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5869
$8-$10k.
That's what I was told as well.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:23 PM
Glass Act
Melting Slicks

Location: 406ci SB, AFR 180 Heads - 490 HP @5,600 RPM 529 lb-ft @ 4,100 RPM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bottom line, you get what you pay for.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:17 PM
21boy
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If the paints falling off already you can chip it away, at least that's my plan. Fiberglass repair isn't out of grasp if you can chip an entire car of its paint in my opinion.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:41 PM
Attfay Elleybay
Burning Brakes

Where's that link for the $50 Rustoleum paint job?
Old 04-15-2009, 11:10 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,357 Likes on 2,785 Posts

Originally Posted by TERRY CLARK
For $8000 to $10,000 it best be the slickest one in the county !
Or, just the professional ones.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:23 AM
79L48
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

New bumpers (fiberglass), strip, body work (including a little door gap reworking), build primer, block, prime and paint with base clear was quoted to me at 8-10k 5 years ago. Hence, she sits with original paint. I may get adventurous and pull the paint, trim, lights and bumpers off myself over the winter if it's milder than last winter and see if I can knock a couple grand off that.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:12 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Go to your local DuPont paint store, YP lookup, and talk to them, if i'ts a olde OEM GM lacquer paint, you MAY have a problem, I not sure, but I just put the primer on my '72 after sanding with a Milwaukee finish sander, same one I used for wood cabinets...flat rubber pad with 1/2 sheet of sandpaper....I used 100-120 grit takes about 2 days of getting used to it and being very careful...stay away from the corners, as you can grind them off in a second....use a hard rubber sanding block with same paper....

do not be scared of the scratches, my old Urethane job was on there so hard it would not even hardly scratch...took a bit....but that glaze has to disappear for the primer to adhere properly....

I used DuPont Nason light gray primer...did tons of body mods, but nothing to matter for this discussion....you do need strip all the chrome, and interior, for ease of painting....

I am being very cautious with this job, first time I have EVER painted a whole car...so am putting wheels back on and going to drive it for a couple months so see how bad and where the body stress cracks are, and then maybe fix them or just go ahead and shoot paint anyway....ALL vettes that are actually driven will have/show stress cracks, part of the game, especially with old ones....show cars off a trailer, maybe not so bad.....mine is a street machine, DD if you will....

total cost of DIY, assuming you have NOTHING is about 350 for a compressor, 150 for a top loader gun, 50 for a water separator, another 50 for hose/connectors....need a 220 line for the compressor.....and of course a garage and a week's time to strip the car down to the point of shooting primer....

honestly, I wonder about taking it to Macco at this point, and let them shoot it....

Old 04-16-2009, 09:27 AM
rebbie23
Instructor

Originally Posted by mrvette
Go to your local DuPont paint store, YP lookup, and talk to them, if i'ts a olde OEM GM lacquer paint, you MAY have a problem, I not sure, but I just put the primer on my '72 after sanding with a Milwaukee finish sander, same one I used for wood cabinets...flat rubber pad with 1/2 sheet of sandpaper....I used 100-120 grit takes about 2 days of getting used to it and being very careful...stay away from the corners, as you can grind them off in a second....use a hard rubber sanding block with same paper....

do not be scared of the scratches, my old Urethane job was on there so hard it would not even hardly scratch...took a bit....but that glaze has to disappear for the primer to adhere properly....

I used DuPont Nason light gray primer...did tons of body mods, but nothing to matter for this discussion....you do need strip all the chrome, and interior, for ease of painting....

I am being very cautious with this job, first time I have EVER painted a whole car...so am putting wheels back on and going to drive it for a couple months so see how bad and where the body stress cracks are, and then maybe fix them or just go ahead and shoot paint anyway....ALL vettes that are actually driven will have/show stress cracks, part of the game, especially with old ones....show cars off a trailer, maybe not so bad.....mine is a street machine, DD if you will....

total cost of DIY, assuming you have NOTHING is about 350 for a compressor, 150 for a top loader gun, 50 for a water separator, another 50 for hose/connectors....need a 220 line for the compressor.....and of course a garage and a week's time to strip the car down to the point of shooting primer....

honestly, I wonder about taking it to Macco at this point, and let them shoot it....

well, the main reason I want to repaint it is because the previous owner had it painted at Maaco...

looks horrible, they didn't even paint under the mirrors, in the door jams, or even bother taking things like the license plate off.

and it the roof has bubbles all over it.

Get notified of new replies

To price for paint

Old 04-16-2009, 10:57 AM
Mad Vette
Pro

One thing to think about is how much do you want to have in to you're car. People are quoting you $8000 to $10000 for a paint job and if I had someone do it for me I could have easily spent that much. I have a 71 and painted it myself but I spent $3000 on the material alone; it's a very hard to match pearl paint. If if its ever scratched or a fender has to be repaired it will cost me a least $900 in material. Now I am wondering why I used such expensive paint and I am worried to death that I will scratch it, and I have more than the third of the cars value tied up in paint and body cost. If you have a chrome bumper matching numbers big block car it may be worth it too spend 8 to 10 on a paint job. If its a high mileage 77 L48 you might want to consider how much you want to spend to have straight car with shinny paint. Just something to think about I would probably do it differently next time.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:31 PM
lock-n-load
Racer

Had to look and ask around a bit ..but found a shop that would do a little bit of body work , paint the car original color and add a clear coat for around 2K ....
Its not a trophy winner ..but.. for cruisin on weekends its perfect ..and still turns a head or two ...

Old 04-16-2009, 03:48 PM
Skunkvette
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

what would be an average price to have my car re-painted.

i'd like to paint it a very glossy black with motion strips on the L88 hood.
i'm thinking maybe 3 coats of clear.

car would need to be stripped, sanded and painted.

what should i expect to pay?
and any recommendations for a good place in Connecticut?

Like this?

$5 K three years ago. No major body work.

Last edited by Skunkvette; 04-16-2009 at 03:49 PM. Reason: correction

Quick Reply: price for paint