How do you paint that part right above the back window

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 05:44 PM
johnt365
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Default How do you paint that part right above the back window

Hi all,

I posted this in paint and body but I know there are lots of painters here too.

I am finally ready to apply the paint to my 74 coupe. Inside doors, jambs, hood ledge, and inside the back window are already painted. the doors are hung, hood is removed and all glass accept front is removed.

All I need to do is final clean up and tape it off which I hope to do in the next week or so.

I have been doing dry runs with the paint gun to try and develop a pattern for the application. However, I can't come up with a good way to paint that little overhang above the back window without the fear of leaning on the car . Then how do you paint the inside of the fins that run down from the back window/I have some theories but they are all cumbersome.

So, ideally I would love to hear the pattern an experienced painter follows on one of these cars. ANY ideas are appreciated.

Thank you
John
Old 03-24-2009, 07:57 PM
Phil Zell
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ttt
Old 03-24-2009, 08:22 PM
LT4Coupe
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are tall enough, you can 'hit it' from behind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1fVhsMuZD4
Old 03-24-2009, 08:29 PM
78VetteChic
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LT4Coupe
If you are tall enough, you can 'hit it' from behind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1fVhsMuZD4
That guy in the video is painting without a respirator or any type of respiratory protection. Does that seem odd to anyone?
Old 03-24-2009, 08:39 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

30 yr veteran painter? How did his lungs make it that long?
Old 03-24-2009, 08:43 PM
rydoc
Pro

I`m really surprised buddy wasn`t smoking while spraying

Rod
Old 03-24-2009, 08:51 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

The money wasted on high tech paint booths!

I loved this video, it’s hilarious! It reminded me of shooting lacquer paint in the 70’s and carrying tweezers and tape for bug and run removal!

I about fell over laughing when he said "All the dirt and sand and bugs and all that and that’s part of it. . . We might just leave them in there!"

Good stuff!
Old 03-24-2009, 09:06 PM
wfo76
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My first job was a painter's assistant and he never wore anything and painted all his life.

The early St Louis guys never used anything either although they had a nice downdraft booth.

Maybe the paint was different back then. I can't go around paint fumes now without a mask.

Guy looks like he can paint though, however I did worry about overspray on that F-150 hood.

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
I about fell over laughing when he said "All the dirt and
sand and bugs and all that and that’s part of it. . . We might just leave them in there!"

Good stuff!
Yeah, priceless.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:29 PM
riggs 74
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

With the way this guy is spraying in the video I wounder how many runs they had.
30 yrs of painting? I'm no pro at painting but I have sprayed a little. I could be wrong
but I don't think this guy is a professional when it comes to painting.
Just my 2 coins.
Riggs.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:37 PM
johnt365
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

ok first off, he totally leaned on the back bumper when he shot the back roof area. I wonder how he kept from getting a blue jean mark in the second coat.

The lack of safety gear is just amazing and the total disregard for contaminants...

I have a respirator, paint suit, head sock, gloves and goggles. I bought 3 hvlp gravity guns, enclosed the garage in tarps from top to bottom and tied the ends together, spent a whole day cleaning the "paint booth" (garage) and i mean wiping down everything, i cleaned the light fixtures, garage doors and rails, i cleaned the lids on the paint cans! then i mopped the floor twice. i cleaned everything. i feel like such a chump.

so the guy in the video knows he is going to have contamination in every layer and he is cool with it. I am not, but i know it will happen.

So, what can be done to remove stuff like a dog hair from your first layer of clear without without causing too much ancillary work? How do you remove contaminants while you are in the process of painting.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:49 PM
Smadoo
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by riggs 74
I could be wrong
but I don't think this guy is a professional when it comes to painting.
Riggs.
that video seems to scream BUBBA.
It looks like he's holding the gun really close to the car and using thick coats. I'm no expert but that sounds like a great way to get runs(not to mention the bugs he said he may just leave in there.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:54 PM
Sully1882
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

and still no one seems to have answered the original question...
Old 03-24-2009, 10:58 PM
onaqwst
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

paint it from the inside of the car..... you'll get a better angle

i primered my 77 in the driveway... i would have painted it too, but got a good deal for my final paint

Last edited by onaqwst; 03-24-2009 at 11:01 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:14 PM
Skip Burney
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I used a small touch up gun and had the rear window out, I painted the overhang first before anything else. I first tried a gravity feed gun and didn`t like the way it was going to work so I went to a small suction cup gun just to do the overhang with. And I was inside the car.

Last edited by Skip Burney; 03-24-2009 at 11:16 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:31 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by johnt365
So, what can be done to remove stuff like a dog hair from your first layer of clear without without causing too much ancillary work? How do you remove contaminants while you are in the process of painting.

tweezers and tape! Only way I know!
Old 03-25-2009, 09:04 AM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Paint those areas FIRST from both sides so you can lean against the body if you need to so you can reach that area without worrying about fabric patterns in the side paint. If you're tall then I would think you could reach that area without touching the body panels, but I would still do that area first.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:10 AM
SargeZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"4 coats of Orange then we gonna load it up with clear"

Get notified of new replies

To How do you paint that part right above the back window

Old 03-25-2009, 01:05 PM
zeus
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Reminds me of my painting days. The way I timed my flash between clear was a cold coors and marlboro, LOL.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:38 PM
Mark G
Melting Slicks

Received 457 Likes on 339 Posts

That video is really SOMETHING! It's not an old video judging by the newer-ish truck parked by the door. I've painted a lot of cars, some in booths, some in sheds like that. See a lot of improvement he could do ..but it's obviously a budget job.

1) Should be using a respirator, paint suit, rubber gloves. It's a fact that a good deal of crap in the paint falls off the painter as he/she moves about the car.

2) Would have better results if the car was up on jack stands so ya didn't blow dust off the floor as ya sprayed.

3) Using a decent HVLP spray gun would be better, even a Harbor Freight #4330 would be better and save paint costs.

4) Didn't have the front/rear bumpers separated from the body. This will lead to a 'bridge' of paint at the bumper seam and probably paint will eventually flake off here.

5) Paint technique is really attrocious. He's just waving the spray gun back and fourth ...not letting up on the trigger at end of stroke (that's what leads to runs). His overlap doesn't seem uniform. Better strategy is to do the whole area between the front and rear wheels, to avoit runs at the door seams. But in the end, it matters how well it lays out and maybe it turned out better than it seems.

6) Pickup truck parked right outside the door. Great way to get overspray all over your vehicle!

7) Do ya really need to wear your cell phone?

8) Yeah, the only thing missing was a ciggarette in his mouth!

Check out this Vette painting video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMDvwhqPTi0

Thanks for sharing!

Mark G

Last edited by Mark G; 03-25-2009 at 03:03 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:56 PM
Muddywaters
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by johnt365
Hi all,

I posted this in paint and body but I know there are lots of painters here too.

I am finally ready to apply the paint to my 74 coupe. Inside doors, jambs, hood ledge, and inside the back window are already painted. the doors are hung, hood is removed and all glass accept front is removed.

All I need to do is final clean up and tape it off which I hope to do in the next week or so.

I have been doing dry runs with the paint gun to try and develop a pattern for the application. However, I can't come up with a good way to paint that little overhang above the back window without the fear of leaning on the car . Then how do you paint the inside of the fins that run down from the back window/I have some theories but they are all cumbersome.

So, ideally I would love to hear the pattern an experienced painter follows on one of these cars. ANY ideas are appreciated.

Thank you
John
Painted mine from both sides...first shot from the inside, then moved quickly to the outside. Being right handed, I had to shoot the passenger side left handed , then went directly to the back lid. I used a paint suit, followed with a tight belt on the outside to keep the suit tight around my waist, so it would not touch the car, PITA...but, can be done. Muddy

BTW: I also used a banadana for my forehead, so as to stop the sweat from dripping on the trunk deck when you lean over...

Last edited by Muddywaters; 03-25-2009 at 03:01 PM.

Quick Reply: How do you paint that part right above the back window