Sponsored by:

New sound system in progress

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 09:49 PM
addballer696
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default New sound system in progress

I just put down some new carpet and figured, why not upgrade my sound system as well. I got 4 4X6 infinity reference speakers and a infinty 10" sub powered with a 500 watt amp. I put two of the speakers in back and two underneath the dash. I plan on cancleing the bass tones with my new p4600mp pioneer deck to the 4X6's and run them only through the sub which will be located in the storage compartment. I'm not quite finished with the box, but i thought i would show ya'll my progress and get your imput. Do you think the box will be big enough?

Old 02-10-2009, 03:18 AM
mitch123
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

addballer,
Are your rear speakers angled towards the center of you car? It appears that way from your pic.

For myself....I have been agonizing over which HU to get and finally decided on the DEH-P310UB...particularly because of the front USB and Aux access and also the power! It's on order and should be in by Wednesday. I was at the local convenience store this past Saturday and a gentleman - on his way to the beach - parked his 78 Pace Car beside mine (radio blasting) and I asked him about his set-up, what type amp, etc., he had. He had NO amp nor sub! Just the same HU I now have on order...and he had Polk speakers installed on the kick panels and the rear cockpit corners. I could actually feel the sharp piercing bass thumping in my chest--and it just blew me away that he had no amp or subwoofer on board! He said it was all in the HU, the speakers--and the way it was wired. I didn't think to ask him WHAT type of Polk speakers he had installed, nor what he meant by the wiring, though! His speakers appeared to be 6" on the kick panels and 6x9's in the rear. As for speakers, I already have a pair of 6" KS600 KICKERS, 3-WAY Coaxials. I'm thinking of placing those on my kick panels and looking into the Polk speakers (what type I'll need for the rear) and hopefully re-create the sound I felt in that guy's Pace Car--without having to invest in an amp and subwoofer. Hopefully, I'll get the RIGHT speakers for the rear----and wire the system correctly. But now I'm wondering what is the best wiring proceedure for this set-up???

Old 02-10-2009, 06:19 AM
RunningMan373
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's No wiring 'Tricks' period. It would all be in the adjustments. So don't worry about that. this Unit has 22 Watts RMS per speaker, max. You'll hear it,, all 4 speakers running near full volume, if there good speakers. I would recomend a 4 channel amp, which would let you run 75 Watts x 4 speaker, or 75 watts x2 and 150W for a sub. A 10" Sub and a box can be had for about the cost of 2 goods speakers, and a 4 channel amp can be had for about 100. C.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:17 AM
1nicecorvette
Burning Brakes

the box will only be as big s the sub allows. Check the specs on the sub for the cu.ft (cubic feet) required for it to work correctly then work from there. when measuring cu.ft on that box measure from inside the box.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:47 AM
imariver
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Does anybody really use MP3 anymore? Seems as todays technology has left that in the dust. Addballer I like the speakers in the back. Do you plan on hiding them with any type of red mesh, or any other way?
Old 02-10-2009, 12:24 PM
stevekk
Racer

Here's my box. The largest hole I could fit was for a 8" sub. Will be interested in you installing a 10" sub. I couldn't get to anything larger than 8" to fit. But may have goofed up.
Note the bolt in the bottom of the box. Goes thru the existing drain hole to hold the box in place. I am installing a JL 8W7 sub.
The other 2 plugs cover up where the spring hooks are.
I think my box was about 3/4 CF. Maybe a little less.
Also plan to "stuff" the area between the outside of the box and the fiberglass storage compartment, to make more "rigid".

Let me know how it all turns out, thanks, steve
Old 02-10-2009, 04:57 PM
addballer696
Racer

stevekk, i saw a post earlier with that box in it and that is what really got me started. I should have gone with an 8" sub, but I already had a 10" on hand. I had to build some of the box in the compartment, or it wouldn't have fit in. Its all angled so it goes right against the fiberglass. I'll post some pictures once I get it all in there. As for the back speakers, they are really hard to see and since they are so far back in the dark I think i'll just keep them the way they are. And yes they are angled slightly towards the middle.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:43 PM
addballer696
Racer

I got the box made last night, now just waiting to wire it up and stuff it with polyester filling to "trick" the sub into thinking its a bigger box. Her she is. Its a real tight fit getting the sub in there, but it works.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:03 PM
stevekk
Racer

congrats...looks real good. How you going to cover it?
Will the door still close to cover it?
so I was wrong, you can get a 10" sub in. Thanks, steve
Old 02-12-2009, 02:43 PM
addballer696
Racer

I'm not sure how im going to cover it yet. The compartment door will fit over it, but the latch itself won't. I guess I'll have to wait to see what it looks and sounds like with the compartment door with no latch on it or just in the open.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:19 PM
jrl77
Instructor

Looks real nice !

you could use red felt to cover the entire unit and cut out the speaker face, then remove the door and install a drop / in heavy guage chrome or painted mesh with large hole's like a speaker grill.

JRL
Old 03-02-2009, 10:56 PM
addballer696
Racer

We'll i got it all done, and is real nice. I can have the doors open or closed with no problem. The only thing i'm worried about is all the wires from the amp being right next to the battery. I'm messing around with the settings and since my deck doesn't cancle out the lows to the 4X6's i have it on vocal equilizer and the bass boost on the amp on.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:58 AM
stevekk
Racer

Thanks for the updated pictures. Looks real good. Good job! steve
Old 05-19-2010, 09:58 AM
airtime
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

been over a year now, how has the long term usage worked out so far?
Old 05-19-2010, 09:59 PM
addballer696
Racer

works just as well as the first day i put it in. I would say the only drawback would be not having a working latch door, but just placing the piece over the compartment works fine
Old 05-19-2010, 10:14 PM
Swift_C3
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by imariver
Does anybody really use MP3 anymore? Seems as todays technology has left that in the dust. Addballer I like the speakers in the back. Do you plan on hiding them with any type of red mesh, or any other way?
I use MP3 for the majority of my music, I ripped nearly 1k worth of cd's a few years back and won't be doing that again anytime soon. The 75 had a KDC-X493 with front USB on it and I liked but I had a drain/short somewhere so I pulled it out to trouble shoot. Also had a KDC-X492 in my golf once again with front USB. Basically all my stereo will have USB however I think I'll be moving to rear USB and place the thumbdrive somewhere slightly hidden so it won't get bumped accidently.

BTW I like the set-up in this thread however I think I would have gone with a mesh square cover, instead of the already installed cover. To each his own
Old 02-09-2011, 04:57 PM
got one
Advanced

how is the base quality? does it punch pretty well?

Get notified of new replies

To New sound system in progress

Old 02-09-2011, 05:25 PM
airtime
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

checkout my radio/interior thread. i removed the whole rear compartment and installed a new one with a 10" sub mine sounds great and has deep thumpin bass. i started out doing what the op did but was scared i would not be satisfied with the 8" sub and wanted the 10".
Old 02-09-2011, 09:06 PM
shake-N-bake
Advanced

I'm putting some modest audio into my '75 this spring and I'd like to put the sub in the jack compartment as seen above. You guys made your own boxes? I was also only thinking an 8-inch Infinity, but it looks like a 10-inch fits, so why not use the space?

I just bought a Pioneer DEH-P5200HD in an Amazon lightning deal. I've got two Alpine 6-inch Type R speakers that I'd put in the kicks or in the back, and two pairs of small Sony 3-inchers. I'd probably put them in the kicks or the dash.

Just throwing all this out there. My main question is about the box though.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:31 AM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

Looks good, you'll like that sub. I'm using those same Infinity 8" subs too and those plate speakers look similar to the ones I fit in the dash but larger. I have the 6 1/4" Infinity speakers in the kick panels. Here are a few pics getting things fitted and tested.

Last edited by Scott Marzahl; 02-10-2011 at 01:16 PM.

Quick Reply: New sound system in progress