Sponsored by:

speaker static. Wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 09:34 PM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Received 161 Likes on 49 Posts

Default speaker static. Wiring?

I got one seat wired and I have static in the speakers. I am using 18g sheilded wire. The funny thing is one sounded great for the test connect. But then when I went and wired both up both have static. I may have made a mistake by using the wiring harness that was in the seat and then connecting new wire to that. ideas?

Thanks
Wade
Old 01-17-2009, 09:38 PM
mdbelanger
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Switch from AM to FM
Old 01-17-2009, 10:34 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by mdbelanger
Switch from AM to FM
Nah, Am stereo has the lo freq buzz in the left and the hi frequ in the right....

serious....ground all electronics to the frame directly....GOOD amps run off the alt directly with come caps to ground at the amps....input electronics like tuners, equalizers, players go off the battery directly, ground to the frame....

do a choke to cut down on alt whine in the + lead to the input electronics....with a solid bypass cap to ground....

99% of the installers out there really don't understand electronics very well.....

best of luck...
Old 01-17-2009, 10:38 PM
onaqwst
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

could be crap in the voice coil or you have a bad terminal on the harness/speaker...

does your setup have an open ground..... or 2 wires coming/going from radio/speakers
Old 01-17-2009, 11:29 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Does the stretch of speaker wire to the headrest speaker run parallel next to a wire carrying constant power? Sometimes in that situation interference can be picked up.

To check the seat wiring, run a test jumper wire from the head unit harness to the speaker. Test it on the jumper, then switch it to the seat wiring. Is there a difference?
Old 01-18-2009, 09:14 AM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Thanks for the input guys. I tried to separate the speaker wires from any constant power wire. The only one I can think of now is the positive battery cable going to the starter. But that is under the car. Could that still have an affect????? What stinks is the only way to jumper the headrest speakers is to remove the upper upholstery of the seat back......

These speakers are not ran off of the amp. The rest of my system sounds great!

Wade
Old 01-18-2009, 10:03 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BlackRat
Thanks for the input guys. I tried to separate the speaker wires from any constant power wire. The only one I can think of now is the positive battery cable going to the starter. But that is under the car. Could that still have an affect????? What stinks is the only way to jumper the headrest speakers is to remove the upper upholstery of the seat back......

These speakers are not ran off of the amp. The rest of my system sounds great!

Wade

I suspect the problem is either the speaker or the wiring. You can always test a different speaker at the wiring of the head unit and see if a different speaker gives you the same results. If yes then you know it's not the seat wiring or the speaker. I suspect you won't have the same problem though, which will help you narrow it down.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:02 AM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Thanks DB I will try those tweeters that came with my polk speakers. Maybe I can narrow down the problem. I am mounting the driver seat today and will be wiring those as well. Hopefully those will work fine and worst case scenario would be that I have to pull the upholstery off of just one seat.

Now my next question for you after all this will be , what can I do to get more base?????
Old 01-18-2009, 11:44 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Now my next question for you after all this will be , what can I do to get more base?????

From the headrest speakers? Nothing! That's just not possible with anything less than a 6.5" speaker and even then you're only dealing with mid-bass. You need a lot of cone surface area and linear travel to get bass...and small speakers don't have a lot of either.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:21 PM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Durango_Boy
From the headrest speakers? Nothing! That's just not possible with anything less than a 6.5" speaker and even then you're only dealing with mid-bass. You need a lot of cone surface area and linear travel to get bass...and small speakers don't have a lot of either.

No, no sorry I meant base in general for the whole system. Add another sub, amp, other, etc? I know my base comes from the rear sub primarily. I was more talking about futire upgrades...

Thanks
Old 01-18-2009, 12:26 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

No, no sorry I meant base in general for the whole system. Add another sub, amp, other, etc? I know my base comes from the rear sub primarily. I was more talking about futire upgrades...

Thanks

In that case it's easy. More powerful amp, and either a more powerful sub, or a second matching sub. Let me know when you get to that point.

Get notified of new replies

To speaker static. Wiring?

Quick Reply: speaker static. Wiring?