Sponsored by:

I have a big dillema!!!.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 09:58 PM
0Road-Race Vette
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dbeall1968
Stan- I am also split on this decision. I know what you can do when cut loose, and it is top end. But I also like to see modified projects come from non-matching, non-original cars, maybe with some body damage. I like Les's idea of making it sort of like what I am doing- make the motor what you want, but leave the basic car so that in the future, a new owner can put it back to stock if he wants to.
BUT... if you decide to cut loose on this car, I have a vision of either midnight blue/cordovan maroon mono-color, your flares, chrome pipes, and LOTS of motor, lots of shiny chrome for those late night cruises on the boulevard. Did that help?
Dave , your opinion always helps.

By the way, The original color of this car is INTERNATIONAL BLUE for those wondering.

I hate to say it, but I dont like the color ( sorry dark blue lovers).

If i restore it to stock, I will do it the original color, no exceptions!!

Maybe it will look better with a straight body and no orange peel

On that note, does anyone want to trade for a factory Safari Yellow car?
Old 01-06-2009, 10:48 PM
Jeff_Keryk
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

I have the same car as you, a pretty stock 68 L36 Roadster. No tower clamps, removed the 15x7 ralleys and put on aftermarket 16x8 chrome ralleys with fat Comp TA's. Painted her black, with those chrome tips out the back. I haven't had the top up in 5 years (SF South Bay Area). Burned a little rubber last Sunday (gotta love that 427 / M20 combo). Build it stock. Port the closed chamber heads if you want. I really appreciate my car, a true piece of Americana.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:12 AM
68AIR
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who sez you can't have it all?

Ron I talked to you at Carlisle a couple of years ago and you stated that you had drawn alot of inspiration from the 68 A.I.R. cars that James Garner was involved with for the blue beast you had there and was pictured on your business card.
Here is a picture of Bob Wingate's 1968 427 at the time the AIR cars were being prepped for racing. More pictures can be found at the http://www.airl88.com/ web site. I think something more stock BUT "firebreathing" is exactly what you are looking for.
A 68 427 vette with muscle from the original plant, and a similar slick paint scheme as below with some attitude.
Good luck bro' and look me up when you want to sell this one.
PS I like white!!
Charles

Old 01-07-2009, 12:31 AM
68L71
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

If you have the numbers matching 427 why break it up??? You can turn any old heap into one of you race inspired cars.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:22 AM
razman
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 68L71
If you have the numbers matching 427 why break it up??? You can turn any old heap into one of you race inspired cars.
no brainer! and you can always keep the original look and drive line number matching, but PUNCH UP THE PONIES!! win/win....
Old 01-07-2009, 01:35 AM
Derrick Reynolds
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15, '17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

JMHO, but if we are talking about PK restoring cars (like, could never in a million years have the creativity and inspiration to build something better than the factory turned out), the answer is simple, go back to stock. But, if we are talking Stan, who has proven himself capable of creating something truly special, something automotively artistic, then, well, let's just say that is a totally different story.

Stan, build what you want, what you see in your mind's eye. If, when you are done, you want to sell it and can't get back what you put into it, PM me.

PK
Old 01-07-2009, 08:16 AM
vettesbydesign
Safety Car

Originally Posted by razman
no brainer! and you can always keep the original look and drive line number matching, but PUNCH UP THE PONIES!! win/win....
Old 01-07-2009, 09:24 AM
C7GrandSport
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by DEMITRISTYLES
Keep it stock. Get another Vette and make your race car.

I wouldn't separate a Corvette from it's matching #'s big block. You could either sell it to finance the purchase of a more suitable starting point or keep the drivetrain stock and just do your race car cosmetics. Then again, it's your car, so do what you think is right!
Old 01-07-2009, 09:54 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,605 Likes on 2,174 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Stan, I love your road race cars but I would like to see you do a stock version with this car rather than break up the original drivetrain.

I think you could find a more suitable, non original, donor car for your road race version. Maybe next years's car. Either way, I know it will be top shelf
Old 01-07-2009, 11:29 AM
rosslato
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordonm
Road Race all the way! To me stock Vettes are kind of boring. They all look alike. I like something different and really liked the red and white one you just did.
GO 4IT
Old 01-07-2009, 12:06 PM
gq82
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by capevettes
Stan, I love your road race cars but I would like to see you do a stock version with this car rather than break up the original drivetrain.

I think you could find a more suitable, non original, donor car for your road race version. Maybe next years's car. Either way, I know it will be top shelf

IMHO, it would be a shame to breakup a 68 BB roadster....I too would be interested in seeing your version of a stock vette.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:40 PM
0Road-Race Vette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by gq82

IMHO, it would be a shame to breakup a 68 BB roadster....I too would be interested in seeing your version of a stock vette.

My version of a stock vette would be the same as everyone else's :

Stock

So I dont think there would be any big surprise there
Old 01-07-2009, 03:33 PM
Black 82
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Either restore it to stock, or sell it as is and use 1/10 of the money to buy another basket case and build a racer. I like your racers much more than any stock car, but in this case it would be a shame to split up that particular car.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:52 PM
HamadUP
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Do what "you" want to do, not what "others" might do.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:52 PM
0Road-Race Vette
Former Vendor

On the idea of keeping the same motor and going up on the HP, I dont think I would do that because the 427 would need some major reconstruction to get it up above 600 REAL horsepower, and then it wouldnt be so original anymore.

Plus, this time I want to do a radical big cube small block. Last years' car was all about torque. This one would be about revving the bag out of it!!!!

I have scoped out some interesting crate motors out there that will give me the HP I need and run on pump gas. The only problem is that they all dip into the low 5 figures

You want to play, you got to pay I guess

I think I may do my race type car and keep the original motor intact on the side. The body wont have any mods done to it, so if someone wanted to bring it back to stock, it would be possible without a huge hassle. ( just a small hassle).
Old 01-07-2009, 06:28 PM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Received 200 Likes on 150 Posts

No surprise that I would vote to keep it a stock restoration. The way I look at it, since it's a push for you financially, you would end up preserving a relatively desirable car and, when you build the next road racer out of a well worn C3 you will be returning one from the grave that might have never been seen again. That way you increase the total number of great Vettes out there. Question: How would putting a slightly more aggressive cam in the old BB compromise it as NCRS material. How would they check the cam?

Since, of course, it's your car. You have my permission to do with it what you want.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:33 PM
0Road-Race Vette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by RagTop69
No surprise that I would vote to keep it a stock restoration. The way I look at it, since it's a push for you financially, you would end up preserving a relatively desirable car and, when you build the next road racer out of a well worn C3 you will be returning one from the grave that might have never been seen again. That way you increase the total number of great Vettes out there. Question: How would putting a slightly more aggressive cam in the old BB compromise it as NCRS material. How would they check the cam?

Since, of course, it's your car. You have my permission to do with it what you want.
Yet another vey good point.

I, myself wouldnt put a cam in a motor just to liven it up a bit.
I am usualy all or nothing.

If I build it up, I will build it to the hilt. If I leave it stock, it will be bone stock.

Sometimes that can be a good personality trait, other times bad and expensive

Get notified of new replies

To I have a big dillema!!!.....

Old 01-07-2009, 06:42 PM
dbeall1968
Melting Slicks

Stan- these reponses from the members here are like a great answer from Washington; there is absolutely, without a doubt, a perfectly clear decision that can be made with complete certainty, perhaps.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:55 PM
KevinK
Drifting

I'll tell you what.

I'll make you a deal. You keep that car, and restore it stock.

I'll LET you get your race car inspiration out on MY car.

Best of both worlds, right?
Old 01-07-2009, 07:27 PM
0Road-Race Vette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by KevinK
I'll tell you what.

I'll make you a deal. You keep that car, and restore it stock.

I'll LET you get your race car inspiration out on MY car.

Best of both worlds, right?

It would be, if I got to keep your car when I was done

Quick Reply: I have a big dillema!!!.....