Does your softtop pop out while driving-there is a solution

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 11:06 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by eastltd
So what's the fee for this service?

In the original un-edited post he quoted $95 if you ship him the latches. I don't know if he lowered his price or edited it out so it wouldn't scare people.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:22 PM
Babypig
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default fee

Originally Posted by Durango_Boy
In the original un-edited post he quoted $95 if you ship him the latches. I don't know if he lowered his price or edited it out so it wouldn't scare people.
Durango, you've been helpful so far, the scare comment is not necessary.I removed my fee of $95 dollars to not draw attention to it, for those who want to inquire about this my number is 631-555.thanks.Or I can call you, leave a number.

Last edited by IrishMac; 12-17-2008 at 03:34 PM.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:31 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by tikkaboy270
Durango, you've been helpful so far, the scare comment is not necessary.I removed my fee of $95 dollars to not draw attention to it, for those who want to inquire about this my number is 631-555.thanks.Or I can call you, leave a number.

I didn't think it was an uncalled for comment, considering these days high prices tend to scare consumers away from the things they want. In sales, the price is always the last thing you tell someone so you build the value of the product or service you are selling. From that standpoint you would be wise to post pics of the 'pop out' as an example, and what it looks like after it's fixed. That alone will give people something that can 'see' and they will understand it better.

Old 12-16-2008, 12:43 PM
NMT1957
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Default he's agood guy

Allright guys enough is enough.Tikkaboy270 is a standup guy Ive known him for 2 years and let me tell you for a new yorker, he is the best.He spent over 100 hours with me on the phone when i was looking for my second car and do you know what i found?I now have a 69 red/red sidepipe 400 4spd. in my garage undergoing a full resto.Put that in your pipe and smoke it.He kept me away from all the garbage out there and look what i have,countless hours with him on the phone as i traveled the country.Don't talk bad about him, he's good.Anybody with interest in what he says call and talk to him,Don't just beat him up.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:06 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...I’m with you guys, adjust them correctly, and no problem with them popping out.

Mal-adjustment is usually not the rear bow locks.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:18 PM
avalonjohn
Le Mans Master

Received 276 Likes on 211 Posts

Maybe I'm confused here......but I thought is site was intended for the Corvette hobbyist. A place where we Vetteheads can go to either trade info, provide help, and generally BS. Of course, if you have parts, you can sell them, but even here, most of us like to give out lower prices on parts than other places, due to the "club like" nature of this site. I am certainly not trying to hurt this gentleman's buisness (especially because my top on my 68 pops out all the time)..........but until now, if anyone had asked me where to go for advice, from guys who were willing and happy to give it (for free) I would have said here.....having said that, I'm sure others know how to fix this problem, so maybe you could start another thread explaininig. My opinion (for what it is worth), advise and tips on this site should be free.......kinda takes the fun out of the hobby if it's not.

Have a safe Christmas guys..........
John
Old 12-16-2008, 01:32 PM
1970 Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For my 2 pennies worth---if everybody on this Forum that gave me some darn good advice over the years would have charged me I would gone broke--and I'm sure they all weren't flush with $$$$$--that ain't the purpose of the open Forum--get with the spirit of it Brother

SEMPER FI--1970 Dave
Old 12-16-2008, 02:06 PM
Babypig
Racer

Default draw the line

O.k. let's make it all for free, everything.Anybody have an L88 i can have?What's ther difference between paying the guy who rebuilds your power steering for $150 bucks and what I will do for a small fee for my parts and time.2 hours time, parts, and return shipping for $95,or you can hop out of your car every freakin' bump in road to pop top back down.Anybody have any big block exhaust manifolds I can have, or maybe anew set of valve covers, you know ,for free, it's all free right.631-555, no more convertible top pop outs.

Old 12-16-2008, 02:16 PM
m8rixguy
Instructor

It's not always free. Some times it costs a six pack, twelve pack or for those really hard jobs a case.

I'm with Durango on this one, become a sponsor or go to ebay.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:21 PM
Babypig
Racer

Default m8rixguy

you must have a coupe, right,then no interest then.Simple.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:23 PM
Babypig
Racer

Default free

I'm rebuilding motors for free or better yet a six pack.riiiiiight.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:51 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

O.k. let's make it all for free, everything.Anybody have an L88 i can have?What's ther difference between paying the guy who rebuilds your power steering for $150 bucks and what I will do for a small fee for my parts and time.2 hours time, parts, and return shipping for $95,or you can hop out of your car every freakin' bump in road to pop top back down.Anybody have any big block exhaust manifolds I can have, or maybe anew set of valve covers, you know ,for free, it's all free right.631-555, no more convertible top pop outs.

Look, no one is saying what you do needs to be free, we're not saying you're a bad guy or that you're doing evil things. The simple fact is that you are using forum resources, publicly advertising a service for profit, and you are not a paying vendor. Spend money to make money man...that's how the world works. If you want to sign up as a forum vendor, you pay a monthly fee, and you get to advertise as you see fit and you get to keep all the profits and conduct business as usual. It's a simple rule.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/foru...eir-parts.html

However, if you don't want to be a forum vendor, you'll have to sell your service on sites like Craigslist, Ebay, local Classifieds, and forums that do not have a specific vendor policy.

Lots of vendors make a very good living using forums as their preferred method of advertising and sales. You should look into it.

Last edited by IrishMac; 12-17-2008 at 03:35 PM.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:16 PM
Theiskell
Burning Brakes

WOW I hope you don’t need help from the members here….There are plenty of guys on here, offer advice on how to do a particular task (carb, steering boxes, rear ends,) countless other things. They don’t ask for a dime and lots of members still send items to them to be rebuilt, me being one of them because, I would prefer the pro to do it. You are not giving people the option to do it them selves with your help. (Why we all read the forum) That in my opinion is where you are missing the mark. If you posted “how to” instructions and then let the guys ask for your help (pay you) that would be ok. I guess what I am trying to say is offer a little to get a little. I’m sure you’re a good guy just trying to make a buck. Just do it the proper way

Last edited by IrishMac; 12-17-2008 at 03:35 PM.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:16 PM
rcread
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

I've done my own research on the soft top pin popping out. While adjusting the pin properly is a sure fire way to remedy the problem, an even better method is to leave the top down. This is probably not the best week for me to employ this method, since it was 20° when I left for work this morning, but it is effective.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:20 PM
Derrick Reynolds
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15, '17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

This thread is too funny.

Sounds pretty simple to me: if you want to use the forum for free, you give advice/help for free. If you want to be paid for advice/help on the forum, you pay the supporting vendor fees. When they invent something simpler than that, wake me up, kay?

IBTL
Old 12-16-2008, 10:09 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by PKguitar
This thread is too funny.

Sounds pretty simple to me: if you want to use the forum for free, you give advice/help for free. If you want to be paid for advice/help on the forum, you pay the supporting vendor fees. When they invent something simpler than that, wake me up, kay?

IBTL
thanks, saved me straining my brain to put it into words!

So many true genuine experts have given so much freely - their time and vast knowledge - I see it as an insult to come on here and offer a secret fix for a fee.
Some of these experts have eventually offered their services for a fee, but usually this happens after a whole lot of free info is exchanged and even then they sometimes run afoul of the forum rules.

I have given stuff away free, and received free stuff, but I don't expect it.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:08 PM
68L71
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Look, no one is saying what you do needs to be free, we're not saying you're a bad guy or that you're doing evil things. The simple fact is that you are using forum resources, publicly advertising a service for profit, and you are not a paying vendor. Spend money to make money man...that's how the world works. If you want to sign up as a forum vendor, you pay a monthly fee, and you get to advertise as you see fit and you get to keep all the profits and conduct business as usual. It's a simple rule.

However, if you don't want to be a forum vendor, you'll have to sell your service on sites like Craigslist, Ebay, local Classifieds, and forums that do not have a specific vendor policy.

Lots of vendors make a very good living using forums as their preferred method of advertising and sales. You should look into it.
Know any forum vendors selling hydroboost kits?

Get notified of new replies

To Does your softtop pop out while driving-there is a solution

Old 12-16-2008, 11:51 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by rcread
I've done my own research on the soft top pin popping out. While adjusting the pin properly is a sure fire way to remedy the problem, an even better method is to leave the top down. This is probably not the best week for me to employ this method, since it was 20° when I left for work this morning, but it is effective.
You are a woose, I drive MY vette with the top down in chilly weather....

FLORIDA chilly weather, that is.....when the sun is out and I have 2 t's and a couple sweatshirts on.....

MY convertible top is tired, almost as tired as me.....so's the paint....but the car still scatts fairly well.....

Old 12-16-2008, 11:56 PM
Jclgodale3
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Taking neither side here but you should leave the moderating to the moderators of this forum. If they see fit, they will deal with the issue. You are a "neutral" party
Old 12-17-2008, 12:25 AM
standup
Drifting

.....In sales, the price is always the last thing you tell someone so you build the value of the product or service you are selling.....

In sales, the first thing you do is build the relationship and build the trust.....something tikka has failed to do.....TIP: fill out your profile and post some more so people know who you are and trust your judgement.....otherwise tikka, you're just throwing out an empty hook, like so many other internet spammers..........

Quick Reply: Does your softtop pop out while driving-there is a solution