Sponsored by:

California Emmissions Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 09:43 PM
myvettes0781
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default California Emmissions Question

I plan on replacing the engine in my 1981 with an LS3. What do I need to do to pass the smog test here in Orange County, CA.? I was planning on installing headers with dual cats and mufflers. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Marc
Old 12-08-2008, 10:16 PM
STINGRAY1WORD
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Should be no problem all emission components for the LS3 would have to be intact along with computer. Any after market parts need to have the EO# to be legal for street use. Evap and exhaust normally comply with vehicle chassie and not engine year.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:02 PM
fauxrs2
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

California Engine change guidelines

After you have completed the swap you have to go to a referee station where they will determine if the swap meets california guidelines, they will apply a sticker that will allow future biannual checks to apply the correct standards (i.e the standards based on the new motor and not the year of the car any longer)

Last edited by fauxrs2; 12-08-2008 at 11:05 PM.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:41 AM
myvettes0781
Cruising

Thank you both for your help. I am also using a custom round tube chassis with C4 rear suspension and C5 front suspension.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:31 AM
fauxrs2
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by myvettes0781
Thank you both for your help. I am also using a custom round tube chassis with C4 rear suspension and C5 front suspension.
sounds like an awesome project. of course the frame isnt of any concern to the govt. You might be well served to find a local referree station and make clear what you are doing and get their input. that document I posted a link to is ages old and who can say if requirements have been altered or not.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:23 AM
Kalway
Safety Car

I think the basics are you have to meet the emissions requirements of either the engine or the chassis, which ever is newer. So make sure you have your catalytic convertors and such in place, when the referee inspects it.

Or do what I did and weasel your way around emissions testing by getting Vehicle of Historic value plates.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:12 PM
STINGRAY1WORD
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Heads up Ca just started testing the evap system where the system is pressurized with CO2 to check for leaks. Be aware some of these connections and hoses are over 30 years old and never been touched so failure rate could be high
Old 12-11-2008, 01:42 AM
RIJVETTES
Burning Brakes

I doubt that you will have a problem with the installation of a modern computer controlled fuel injected engine, so long as all the parts are CARB approved. But I agree that due to the significant costs you plan to incur, it would be a good idea to get some imput from the referee station before the rebuild.

Get notified of new replies

To California Emmissions Question

Quick Reply: California Emmissions Question