anyone ever mode a c3 a targa top? with no "T"

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 03:11 PM
bluegtp
Drifting

Received 287 Likes on 128 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default anyone ever made a c3 a targa top? no "T"

Just curious.....I'm just trying to picture how it would look and trying to think of something different, but will make you question if it came like that stock. The c4's on up have them.

I don't know, it may just look goofy on the c3s. What do you guys think?

Last edited by bluegtp; 12-04-2008 at 12:31 AM.
Old 11-28-2008, 05:02 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Car will break in half.Not really but it wont be right.The convertibles had extra bracing.
Old 11-28-2008, 05:36 PM
SomeSayIllFixIt
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No idea how it would be done. But I think it would look pretty bada$$.
If people can turn t-top vette's to verts you can probably make a targa top. maybe? But if the expense would be worth it might be a factor.
-John
Old 11-28-2008, 06:22 PM
bluegtp
Drifting

yeah I know the convertible vettes had extra supports/bracing underneath....all convertibles do to make them rigid.

I would think it wouldn't be as expensive as turning a coupe into a convertible or roadster....but my thing is it'd be kind of unique....i'm gonna try a photoshop on a pic of mine with the tops off and the "T" removed.

Like I said I'm just thinking and thought it'd be cool....but wanted to see if anyone's tried/done it. my thought is the targa's kinda the best of both worlds....but then again kinda pointless if you don't have a top for it that you could keep in the car while on the road.

I thought maybe one of those one piece tops they make could work for a top for it....weather stripping would have to be added of course. and i'm sure I could handle making a rear interior piece for the where the T meets the back part...all the rest of the stuff would come from a vert though I think.

thanks for the responses....we'll see
Old 11-28-2008, 06:46 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

I saw one that a guy fiber glassed the 2 tops together but the T was still there.He was convinced his leak issue was in the center between the tops.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:01 PM
Bobz08C6
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a one piece smoked clear roof for the C3 for half the price of two T-tops. I wouldn't remove the center bar as that is a structural member.

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....Z5Z5Z50000050G
Old 11-28-2008, 10:26 PM
Bubs
Instructor

I saw one of these one piece tops on a 68 today. Really looked nice.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:44 PM
PeteZO6
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

If you read Corvette From the Inside by Dave McLellan you will learn that the C4 was originally designed as a T-top. Late in the game, Lloyd Reuss, who became president of GM, dictated the T bar be removed. The result was the C4 top was a bolt on piece because the chassis was too limp to support a clamp on top. The cars came with a little ratchet torx drive wrench which was used to remove and install the top.

Taking the bar out of a C3 coupe without having the convertible bracing would probably have the same result - a real loose car. The C3 converts are pretty loose as it is. Bolting the hardtop on makes a big difference in the rigidity of the car.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:22 PM
bluegtp
Drifting

PeteZO6 If you read Corvette From the Inside by Dave McLellan you will learn that the C4 was originally designed as a T-top. Late in the game, Lloyd Reuss, who became president of GM, dictated the T bar be removed. The result was the C4 top was a bolt on piece because the chassis was too limp to support a clamp on top. The cars came with a little ratchet torx drive wrench which was used to remove and install the top.

Taking the bar out of a C3 coupe without having the convertible bracing would probably have the same result - a real loose car. The C3 converts are pretty loose as it is. Bolting the hardtop on makes a big difference in the rigidity of the car.

I do realize this.....I have already mentioned if I were to to this it would get whatever the vert. has (interior, exterior, frame etc.)....just won't be a vert. I'm just trying to find out if anyone else has done this

Last edited by bluegtp; 11-28-2008 at 11:25 PM.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:26 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Blue,
I believe the only difference between the coupe and convertible were the 4 braces that were added to cowl structure under the dashboard to reduce 'cowl-shake. Their main responsibility was to stop the steering column from shaking and to help stabilize the hinge pillars. I believe the other differences in the birdcages had to do with the fact that the top needed to be mounted and hidden and had nothing to do with the actual structure.
2 'tabs' need to be welded to the bottom of the windshield frame in the center area of the cowl to mount 1 'end' of 2 of the braces. The rest of the tabs are there.
You might have to add a brace to each lock pillar to stabilize it so the door locks and unlocks well and the gap at the rear of the door can be constant.
Regards,
Alan

PS: I think the 'bar' looks good, it's a little 'old school' looking.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:02 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Chevrolet Corvette engineering tried it. Then added the t-top bar & had to paint it in on the early pics.!

I"ll keep the lightweight bar!
Old 11-29-2008, 12:18 PM
Droshki
Pro

Originally Posted by Bobz08C6
Here's a one piece smoked clear roof for the C3 for half the price of two T-tops. I wouldn't remove the center bar as that is a structural member.

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....Z5Z5Z50000050G
But no way to carry it in case inclement weather moves in while it is removed?
Old 11-29-2008, 03:56 PM
bluegtp
Drifting

thanks for the info....I agree it does have a "old school" feel to it. I'm just thinking of a way to be a little different without going with the the big ground FX and fenders and sidepipes. Not that I don't like them I do! Just trying to keep a clean car and think of something unique/custom that I could do to it while I have it apart.

if I could find an wrecked/junked vert. that I could get parts off cheaply I'm definitley going to consider it....but hey this is even something that could be done after it's painted too.

thanks for the comments/information guys!
Old 11-29-2008, 04:38 PM
TPI BOY
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let us know if you do it
Old 11-29-2008, 07:46 PM
Bobz08C6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Droshki
But no way to carry it in case inclement weather moves in while it is removed?
Never thought about that. You could get one of those temporary "raincoat" tops that work at highway speeds and keep the rain out in a pinch. I have one for my C6 so I can leave the targa home. The C6 one is suppose to be for stationary use only though I think.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:06 PM
PeteZO6
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi Blue,
I believe the only difference between the coupe and convertible were the 4 braces that were added to cowl structure under the dashboard to reduce 'cowl-shake. Their main responsibility was to stop the steering column from shaking and to help stabilize the hinge pillars. I believe the other differences in the birdcages had to do with the fact that the top needed to be mounted and hidden and had nothing to do with the actual structure.
2 'tabs' need to be welded to the bottom of the windshield frame in the center area of the cowl to mount 1 'end' of 2 of the braces. The rest of the tabs are there.
You might have to add a brace to each lock pillar to stabilize it so the door locks and unlocks well and the gap at the rear of the door can be constant.
Regards,
Alan

Interestingly, there is a big difference between the under dash braces in AC and non-air cars. This is pretty well documented by Bizzoco's 1969 Stingray Guide, where he says the AC compressor produces vibrations that the base braces couldn't quell. The different braces are also documented in the AIM. For 1969 UPC1 A9 and UPC C60 also A9.

I just came back from a nice top down ride in my non-AC '69 on some very primitive back roads - pot holes and uneven pavement. The shaking was bad enough to cause the door ajar light to flash on and off.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:20 PM
dfolse62
Pro

I read that you can store the astro one piece top. Is this true?

Get notified of new replies

To anyone ever mode a c3 a targa top? with no "T"

Old 11-29-2008, 09:36 PM
Droshki
Pro

Originally Posted by Bobz08C6
Never thought about that. You could get one of those temporary "raincoat" tops that work at highway speeds and keep the rain out in a pinch. I have one for my C6 so I can leave the targa home. The C6 one is suppose to be for stationary use only though I think.
Yea, I'd have to have one of those too. It rains just so much down here in Florida. Not complaining, but...

On the other hand, its not like the t-tops really fit back there very well either.

I do like the storability of the C4 one. Ive stopped more than once and stuck it back in when the weather went south. I stay closer to home when Im in the C3
Old 12-03-2008, 10:29 PM
bluegtp
Drifting

photoshop, what do ya'll think? It's different and kind of unique....I don't think it looks bad though!

Old 12-03-2008, 10:48 PM
kapla74
Racer

looks really cool, and different

Quick Reply: anyone ever mode a c3 a targa top? with no "T"