Voters: 238. You may not vote on this poll

Gm

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 12:32 AM
tigers123
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Gm

Does anybody know how to set up a vote on wether you think GM will survive? Let's get the opinion of forum members, as this is a forum about a GM car so it has relevance.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:34 AM
tigers123
Burning Brakes

figured out the poll thing now just vote and leave comments as well
Old 11-18-2008, 01:48 AM
Muddywaters
Melting Slicks

Anybody buying their stock? Muddy
Old 11-18-2008, 02:13 AM
ve77er
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes, i am buying stock in GM, my vote was yes i believe they will survive!! although i really think instead of a "bailout loan" from uncle sam, they really need to do a chapter 11 bankruptcy restructuring thier assests and get rid of the most incompetent ceo management team to ever grace the american business landscape!! the UAW has historically "worked" with the big 3 and has given back, but it has to start at the top with the ridiculous salaries of the ceo's, get rid of'em!! they have not performed to the level commensurative with their pay! now, renegotiate a working wage with the UAW and honor the retiree pension plans as these people. built the companies that these current ceo's destroyed! the retirees must be given a fair treatment here! i have a;ways bought american (since i started buying cars in 1977) a majority have been GM mostly chevrolet so. i believe they will survive! but changes do need to be made! one other thing and most definitley a topic worthy of it's own thread is the dealership network! these geniuses have played far too many games and turned off so many buyers that they definittley need to be revamped!
........................................ ....chris
p.s. if you have anything other than an american nameplate in your driveway, your opinions should also be heard! ie, why did you choose the foreign make over the american? i don't believe it is quality of build, i keep my cars in specs and drive them for well over 200K and also for an average of 7.5 years, so, (inmho) build quality is not a concern!
Old 11-18-2008, 07:04 AM
pbergmann
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 60 Posts

Default bye bye GM

I have given GM literally hundreds of thousands of dollars in car and truck purchases over the last 20 years. I have an 07 Tundra and my wife drives an 08 Camry...WHY??? I was tired of the little things that alway brought me back to the dealer yep they were all under warrantee but when will they get the message? The Toyota's while not perfect dont have little things go wrong. The resale is a whole lot better so the whole experiance is a pleasant one.
Sorry for GM and all the workers when autos took over horse and buggys there were people that lost their jobs. We will survive, if the poor mouth people will just face the fact that they may need to get another job and maybe they wont get $28 per hr and free health care and just get over it and get a regular job. Their life will go on.

This country was built on survival of the fittest, GM, Ford they had their day lets get over it and move ahead.

Last edited by pbergmann; 11-18-2008 at 07:05 AM. Reason: .
Old 11-18-2008, 09:01 AM
Sidepiper
Melting Slicks

Yes they will, but thet need to step up the quality. I've always bought new GM trucks for my business and theyre always are back in the shop with-in 10 k miles, I'm starting to get tired of it. Even with Gm's problems, I still can't see myself buying a toyota for work trucks. Although we do have a new camry for the family car and I'm very happy with it.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:25 AM
2manyvetts
Racer

I can tell you that the president of GM(Rick Waggoner) was a better basketball player when he was in college...but I have to admit, I never saw him play basketball.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:38 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

They'll make it. Chapter 11. No bail out.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:44 AM
TERRY CLARK
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Of course they will survive.............with the government's help
When is the government going to bail us hard working Americans out?

GM cars are crap, except the Corvette ! What good is a new car if it stays in the shop always. My girlfriend has a '01 Malibu, what a Jewel that is, I hope I got all the Dex-Cool out it in time to save the motor !
Old 11-18-2008, 09:47 AM
rydoc
Pro

A 25 billion dollar bailout today...how much tomorrow 50 billion...
Why not...

The US government is handing out money to all their banker buddies...

Why not the auto makers, why not the credit card companies, why not insurance companies, why not other countries...oh wait they are...
It`s not just the US doing this, it is every government in the world.

How long do you think this can keep up without any and all consequences comming back on the taxpayers...

I say why not...it`s aready a done deal...all the are doing is figuring out who gets the kick back...

Rod
Love the Vette...Hate the Politics
Old 11-18-2008, 10:03 AM
moosie982
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I voted they'd survive, one way or the other. A previous poster mentioned something about dealers,,, yep some are pieces of garbage but you've gotta realize that they need to jump thru hoops that G.M. sets up, and it aint easy ! Peace,,,Moosie
Old 11-18-2008, 10:18 AM
Nick The Great
Melting Slicks

My family and I have been (mostly) driving GM for over 20 years. The biggest problem had was my Dad's 81 Diesel Silverado that blew a head gasket at 250k miles. Piece of @#$^

GM will survive, but like Mike says it'll take Chap 11 maybe.

Not to start a pissing match here, but I'll never drive a foreign car.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:56 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Default GM Don't care about their customers !

GM is having a huge problem with loose steering in their pickup trucks and some SUV's with very low miles and they won't even talk about it. I have been experiencing this in my Chevy truck along with hundreds of others on the internet, and when I wrote a letter to them, they just wrote back to me saying that I needed to call them. When I called, I just got a voice mail for which they never even returned the call. GOODBYE GM I won't miss you. Even if you do survive, I've bought my last GM vehicle.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:09 PM
mpett1
Pro

Originally Posted by ve77er
yes, i am buying stock in GM, my vote was yes i believe they will survive!! although i really think instead of a "bailout loan" from uncle sam, they really need to do a chapter 11 bankruptcy restructuring thier assests and get rid of the most incompetent ceo management team to ever grace the american business landscape!!
You know if they go chapter 11 you loose your stock right.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:33 PM
Ed Campbell
Racer

I vote for chapter 11. It will still allow payment to subcontractors that all the Talking Heads seem to be worried about. Not good for the stock holders but I think it would allow them to restructure, change management, renegociate with the unions and survive. Nobody is going to come out of this problem without changes and Detroit is not exempt. Just my opinion. Ed
Old 11-18-2008, 03:00 PM
mod81
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mpett1
You know if they go chapter 11 you loose your stock right.
I was just about to point this out. I'm only 23 so i'm trying to make the most of this downturn as I have nothing to lose, as I have nothing invested yet and everything to gain. Basically if I have my homework right I've found out that anytime a stock like this goes under 5$/share it's heading for bankruptcy and buying is not a good option. So until proven otherwise...I'm not buying of their stocks.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:57 PM
Jon Hekking
Race Director

Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C3 of Year Finalist (stock)

Too big to go away, government will never let it happen. Perhaps if they get in this mess again, but not this time.

Get notified of new replies

To Gm

Old 11-18-2008, 05:27 PM
Mashman
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Campbell
Nobody is going to come out of this problem without changes and Detroit is not exempt. Just my opinion. Ed
Speaking of Detroit - http://www.freep.com/article/2008111...065/1199/PRINT
Old 11-18-2008, 07:02 PM
croaker
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

I blame the other Big 3 BIG OIL COMPANY'S
Old 11-18-2008, 07:07 PM
vette442
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been a Honda/Acura diehard for my daily drivers for 15 years, but I just did a 4 hour drive in an '08 Malibu rental car. It's the first newer GM car (excluding the Corvette) I've driven in the past few years that had a nice sticky road feel/response, a 4cyl/V6 engine that wasn't "coarse", and it seems to be a very well thought-out car. I actually found it to be a very pleasant car to drive. I wasn't as excited about the road feel of the HHR, Cobalt or G6 rentals I've driven in the past couple years.

I read somewhere that it was like GM tried to improve on their prior models but never really compared their cars to competitors' cars. In this case, I think they did. I think GM will pull through in one form or another and if they have cars as good as the new Malibu, they're headed in the right direction.
Terry

Quick Reply: Gm