Sponsored by:

C3 Car Radio

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 08:34 PM
2manyvetts
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C3 Car Radio

Wondering if anyone has had any experience and can give me some feed back on either the KHE-300, USA1, USA 5 or USA 6 car radio for the 68-76 Corvette.

I was thinking about buying one and was wondering which one sounded the best and also the most convienient for IPOD

Thanks for your input.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:18 PM
in2fun
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I was wondering this my self. Has any one installed any of these?
Old 11-17-2008, 11:22 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have never installed one but I have heard a few and none had good sound quality. I've been in car audio for a long time and I guess my standards are a bit too high to spend all that money for something that isn't going to sound very good.

I guess it's a best option though for the guys that won't considering installing an after market single DIN head unit.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:40 PM
in2fun
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Durango_Boy
I have never installed one but I have heard a few and none had good sound quality. I've been in car audio for a long time and I guess my standards are a bit too high to spend all that money for something that isn't going to sound very good.

I guess it's a best option though for the guys that won't considering installing an after market single DIN head unit.
Durango_boy
2manyvettes and I are friends and we were looking to install a knew radio in our Corvettes. We were wanting to stay in the 200.00 to 300.00 range for a knew raido. What would you recommend, trying to stay with in this price range?
Old 11-18-2008, 07:29 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

DB and I always agree to disagree on this subject . The KHE-300 with four 4 x 6" Pioneer speakers is more than adequate for my purposes. No you don't get strong bass but the '60s and '70s tunes (e.g. Roy Orbison, Beach Boys, etc.) I listen to don't have much bass to begin with. But sound is so subjective. You should really seek out a car at a show with these units (doesn't have to be a Corvette) and ask the owner(s) if you could have a listen.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:00 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by in2fun
Durango_boy
2manyvettes and I are friends and we were looking to install a knew radio in our Corvettes. We were wanting to stay in the 200.00 to 300.00 range for a knew raido. What would you recommend, trying to stay with in this price range?

Yeah Paul and I have had this discussion a few times. He just has different likes and tastes and prefers his listening a different way. If he's happy then that's all that matters because it's his stereo and he likes it so that makes me happy. Plus Paul is a cool guy.

I can certainly keep you under the $200 mark for a new head unit, but the ones I suggest will require you to either cut the gauge bezel for the opening the head unit needs, or buy a donor bezel, cut it, and save the stock one.

The result is a modern high quality processor with all the features you can want. However, it won't fit like the stock radio, which is why companies like USA make all the money that want on those radios. They fit with no modifications.

If you still want some head unit suggestions knowing you will have to do some cutting, I will suggest both a head unit and a set of speakers for a great sounding combination.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:11 AM
2manyvetts
Racer

Thanks much...what Elio and I are trying to do is get a good amount of base without modifying the "original" look(buying a modern radio), and also with a face plate that says Corvette.

Elio installed some Infinity speakers behind the kick panel and some Alpine 6 x 9 in the back. At present this 73 Vette has six speakers and sounds decent. It only has an 88 watt output, so if we graduate to almost any 200 watt or better radio,there should be a substantial difference. I guess? I am not a radio man, by far.

We are looking for the most base and most original look.

Your comments will always be appreciated.

Thank you!

Gene
Old 11-18-2008, 10:18 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Gene, the 200 watts is exaggerated, as it the 88 watts you think you're getting now.

Even the best head units in the world that claim 25 RMS watts per channel don't deliver more than 17 RMS watts per channel. The small size of the head unit just limits what they can do and the ratings they sell them with are inflated using controlled testing. They use around 15V power inputs and record a split second highest reading as the advertised RMS output.

The basic reality is you just don't have the processing or power for any substantial bass or even mid-bass.

Also, more speakers doesn't equal better sound. In fact, I find I get my best results with ONLY front speakers, powered by an amp. If I want bass, I add a sub, also powered by an amp.

I have not ever found what I consider to be an easy middle ground for someone that wants bass and a stock look. A lot of money will get spent and the outcome is usually not sufficient or worth it. It's very polar...stock, or after market. Obviously with after market head unit, amp, and speakers, you can have a very well rounded system that sounds amazing and is rich with bass.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:21 AM
HamadUP
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

If I will have to take anything less than 50W X 4 and a decent subwoofer for a decent bass tunes, I will just stick with a good, re-conditioned stock radio, and thats what I did actually. I removed the radio which the PO had installed (I cant remember the model, it was either a KHE or Custom Auto Sound), and put a nice and clean stock radio instead, actually I think it sounds a little better!
Old 11-18-2008, 10:42 AM
in2fun
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by paul67
DB and I always agree to disagree on this subject . The KHE-300 with four 4 x 6" Pioneer speakers is more than adequate for my purposes. No you don't get strong bass but the '60s and '70s tunes (e.g. Roy Orbison, Beach Boys, etc.) I listen to don't have much bass to begin with. But sound is so subjective. You should really seek out a car at a show with these units (doesn't have to be a Corvette) and ask the owner(s) if you could have a listen.

Thanks for the Info. I agree most 50 ,60 ,and 70 mucis did not have much base. And thats the type of music I listen to when I'm in the car. I'm not into as much base as Gene is. What I do like is a good balanced sound. I do like the look of the radio in your Vette.

Yeah Paul and I have had this discussion a few times. He just has different likes and tastes and prefers his listening a different way. If he's happy then that's all that matters because it's his stereo and he likes it so that makes me happy. Plus Paul is a cool guy.

I can certainly keep you under the $200 mark for a new head unit, but the ones I suggest will require you to either cut the gauge bezel for the opening the head unit needs, or buy a donor bezel, cut it, and save the stock one.

The result is a modern high quality processor with all the features you can want. However, it won't fit like the stock radio, which is why companies like USA make all the money that want on those radios. They fit with no modifications.

If you still want some head unit suggestions knowing you will have to do some cutting, I will suggest both a head unit and a set of speakers for a great sounding combination.
DB,
you always seem to have good Info. I enjoy reading your all your teck post. You have helped me many time with my car " THANK YOU " ! Gene and I are trying to keep the look that Paul67 has in his car. Pluse as much as I would like to be able to get a donor bezel, I have to keep cost down and I don't feel good about cutting up mine. I have thought about putting a radio unit in the back storge compartment and just using a remote control. I know that a infrared remote will do little good with the compartment door closed. But I was wondering if there is a FM signal remote that can be used. I plan on just using my ipod to hook up to the radio. I do not cary CDs. Have you seen or heard of anyone putting the radio in the storage compartment behind the seats? Or is that a waisted effort.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:45 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

I have seen after market head units mounted in the storage compartment but there really isn't any kind of alternate remote control.

What is your overall budget for the stereo upgrade?
Old 11-18-2008, 10:49 AM
IrishJoker
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the New Radio is 1 DIN then you don't have to cut up your bezel, buy a new bezel and save your original one - all the big Corvette parts stores sell them.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:54 AM
Bobz08C6
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Custom Auto USA-1 radio in my '73. I like the idea that it fits in the opening with no mods at all. It's running 2 in dash speakers and sounds o.k. but no bass. It does have RCA preamp outputs so I think with an amp, a sub and some rear speakers it would be o.k. for not a lot of money. I don't need the CD changer interface since it has an auxiliary input. I have seen some attractive rear sound bars for the back of the car that would certainly help the sound, fit nicely and look good. I've also seen the rear sound bars with cutouts for 6 X 9 and room for other speakers.

Honestly, good sound in my '73 is not a priority for me and it's only a rare driver.

Radio:
http://www.metropartsmarket.com/cata...dio_51527.html

Soundbar for Corvette:
http://www.metropartsmarket.com/cata...dio_51544.html

http://www.corvetteamerica.com/cf/di...d%3A%20speaker

Last edited by Bobz08C6; 11-18-2008 at 11:26 AM.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:58 AM
RonR80
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 125 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I installed a JVC head unit 200watts and a 10inch bazooka tube in the back and it's great lots of bass , easy to pull out too! Ron
Old 11-18-2008, 11:06 AM
CAMike
7th Gear

If you want to keep the original radio and have IPOD capability- you can have both at Ray's Auto Stereo in Sacramento CA. They refurbished my existing/original AM/FM/FM Stereo unit. He has the the IPOD connector/wire coming out of the rear of the head unit and you can hide it anywhere you like when not in use. Unit will still retain all original inerts- just refurbished. Around mid $300 ish.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:19 AM
in2fun
Burning Brakes

I have seen after market head units mounted in the storage compartment but there really isn't any kind of alternate remote control.

What is your overall budget for the stereo upgrade?
I'm looking at 200 to 300 for a radio unit. and 200 max for a speaker combo. I would like to have 2 speakers in the back and 2 up front for that price. The radio unit must have a ipod hook up.

Last edited by in2fun; 11-18-2008 at 11:25 AM.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:25 AM
2manyvetts
Racer

I have the original radio to my 73 Vette...do you mean I can have this radio refurbished with IPOD capability?

Sounds interesting
Old 11-18-2008, 12:23 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by in2fun
I'm looking at 200 to 300 for a radio unit. and 200 max for a speaker combo. I would like to have 2 speakers in the back and 2 up front for that price. The radio unit must have a ipod hook up.

What about this. A Custom Auto USA radio that has RCA output. If you like bass, use the RCAs for small 2 channel amp and sub and run a set of front kick panel speakers off of the radio.

If you don't need the sub, use the RCAs to power an amp to power front speakers. I think that will get you the best sound, it'll look stock, and it'll sound better than even four speakers powered by the radio itself.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:59 PM
2manyvetts
Racer

Thanks ya'll----I have printed this page and Elio and I are headed to Farmers Branch,Texas to a Custom Auto dealer.

Many thanks to all.

Get notified of new replies

To C3 Car Radio

Quick Reply: C3 Car Radio