Baby It's Cold Outside - Keeping Warm This Winter

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 07:38 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Default Baby It's Cold Outside - Keeping Warm This Winter

My wife, that lovely woman that has granted me a new garage lift and garage makeover, has agreed we should check in to heating the garage this winter to make it more comfortible for me to work out there. I am truly blessed to have this woman in my life and plan to slip an extra nice gift under the Christmas tree to her this year.

Okay, so as the poster of the "Show Me Your Garage" I am now asking if any of you can show me pictures and or offer me advice on heating my garage this winter. Short of a gas furnace addition what have you done to keep things warm? This is honestly not a post for everyone, not everyone lives where there is a winter to deal with, but for those dealing with the cold could you, better yet would you please share your thoughts.

Thank you in advance.

David
Old 11-13-2008, 08:25 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm kind of interested in this too. Simply, I just have to put up with the cold with extra layers and gloves. It sucks when you're under a car and your breath makes it hard to see the bolt you're trying to turn.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:11 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,592 Likes on 2,172 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Probably not the most cost effective method but I installed an electric blower/heater mounted on the wall. It is connected to a thermostat. I maintain about 50 degrees all winter in a 36x30 2 1/2 story barn all winter. When I want to spend time out there I just crank it up and it will be in the 60's in no time. On average it costs me about $120/month in the coldest months December-January-February and March. Cars-TV-Stereo-beer and cigars
Old 11-13-2008, 09:22 AM
Bobz08C6
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This BTU calculator will help you figure out how much heat you need for your needs. I would go with electric so you don't have an open flame, no venting to the outside, no carbon monoxide and no condensation on everything. I just installed the Dayton and had an electrician run 240V to the garage ($325).

http://www.heatershop.com/btu_calculator.htm

Here is where I got my heater. I needed two for my 3 car attached insulated garage with a 10'6" ceiling.

http://www.air-n-water.com/product/G73.html
Old 11-13-2008, 09:34 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Bobz08C6
This BTU calculator will help you figure out how much heat you need for your needs. I would go with electric so you don't have an open flame, no venting to the outside, no carbon monoxide and no condensation on everything. I just installed the Dayton and had an electrician run 240V to the garage ($325).

http://www.heatershop.com/btu_calculator.htm

Here is where I got my heater. I needed two for my 3 car attached insulated garage with a 10'6" ceiling.

http://www.air-n-water.com/product/G73.html
Perfect, thank you. I have a three car attached garage that is insulated but does have some leakage around the doors. These two links suggest I needed 32,000 BTU's which, if I calculated correctly, could be handled by two of the units you bought as well. A cozy garage would be very nice. Do you have a picture of the install you did that I could see?

Now, for those 240V lines...need an electrician. Where is that phone book.

Thanks again

David

Last edited by AllC34Me; 11-13-2008 at 09:37 AM.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:38 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by capevettes
Probably not the most cost effective method but I installed an electric blower/heater mounted on the wall. It is connected to a thermostat. I maintain about 50 degrees all winter in a 36x30 2 1/2 story barn all winter. When I want to spend time out there I just crank it up and it will be in the 60's in no time. On average it costs me about $120/month in the coldest months December-January-February and March. Cars-TV-Stereo-beer and cigars
Better than what I have now which is two halogen lamps and a cold concrete floor. Do you have a picture of the install you could share with us?

Also, and I just thought of this, do you have a floor covering of some sort you are using to get up off the concrete?

Thanks for the info.

David
Old 11-13-2008, 09:43 AM
Bobz08C6
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 77Sleeper
Perfect, thank you. I have a three car attached garage that is insulated but does have some leakage around the doors. These two links suggest I needed 32,000 BTU's which, if I calculated correctly, could be handled by two of the units you bought as well. A cozy garage would be very nice. Do you have a picture of the install you did that I could see?

Now, for those 240V lines...need an electrician. Where is that phone book.

Thanks again

David
You should have a toasty garage with 2 of these units. I just run mine when I am working on the cars.

It's also nice to have them up around the ceiling so they don't take up any valuable space in the garage. They have a thermostat **** on the front and in order to reach it I drilled a hole in the **** and installed a screw so I can turn it with a stick from below.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:21 AM
Red73
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I insulated and put drywall up on my garage walls and ceiling. I also installed insulted garage doors and then added the Dayton electric heater. I keep my garage around 50 degrees and turn the heat up when I'm going to work in the garage. Sealing the garage doors will help alot with keeping the cold air out during those windy wintry days.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:31 AM
ipmtim
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

I have a 3 car insulated garage (with leaks around the doors as well).I put up a 45K BTU hanging heater from Grainger 15yrs ago and still kicking. I usually leave the heat set to 60 and bump it up to 65 when working out there.
Hope this helps.
Tim
Old 11-13-2008, 10:35 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,717 Likes on 2,275 Posts

Putting some kind of synthetic flooring down sounds like an excellent idea. Lots of heat sucked up by cold concrete. Anyone having such flooring care to elaborate on their insulating properties?
Old 11-13-2008, 10:51 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Red73
I insulated and put drywall up on my garage walls and ceiling. I also installed insulted garage doors and then added the Dayton electric heater. I keep my garage around 50 degrees and turn the heat up when I'm going to work in the garage. Sealing the garage doors will help alot with keeping the cold air out during those windy wintry days.

Thank you for this information. Nice 73 trying to peak out from under the cover I see...
David
Old 11-13-2008, 10:52 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by ipmtim
I have a 3 car insulated garage (with leaks around the doors as well).I put up a 45K BTU hanging heater from Grainger 15yrs ago and still kicking. I usually leave the heat set to 60 and bump it up to 65 when working out there.
Hope this helps.
Tim
Grainger, good source for this stuff, thanks for the reminder.
Did you do anything to the floor or did you stick with concrete?
Thanks for the info.
David
Old 11-13-2008, 10:55 AM
chevy69
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

hmmmmm..... cold - what's that all about

p.s. we pay for our beautiful winter weather all summer long
Old 11-13-2008, 11:01 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

I wondered how long it would be before someone living in a warm climate managed to weigh in on our cold winter situation.
Can't blame you for not knowing about our pain. Of course we have an excuse 4 months a year to work on the car in the garage.
Is that Rachel Ray cooking for you this Thanksgiving? Nice!!!
Do you air condition your garage for the summer?
Thanks for sharing.
David
Old 11-13-2008, 11:06 AM
chevy69
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by 77Sleeper
I wondered how long it would be before someone living in a warm climate managed to weigh in on our cold winter situation.
Can't blame you for not knowing about our pain. Of course we have an excuse 4 months a year to work on the car in the garage.
Is that Rachel Ray cooking for you this Thanksgiving? Nice!!!
Do you air condition your garage for the summer?
Thanks for sharing.
David
Yes - it's Rachel Ray - I try to have fun over the holidays with my avatar (the rest of the time I use an Arizona route 66 road sign). I grew up in the greater Cleveland area so I know your pain - I was just having some fun.

Absolutely I have AC in the garage - it's the only way I can stand to be in there fron June - September. I figure about anywhere you live there is a 4 month span where it's either hot, cold, or real wet (except for those lucky guys in San Diego) so it's all good
Old 11-13-2008, 11:12 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by chevy69
Yes - it's Rachel Ray - I try to have fun over the holidays with my avatar (the rest of the time I use an Arizona route 66 road sign). I grew up in the greater Cleveland area so I know your pain - I was just having some fun.

Absolutely I have AC in the garage - it's the only way I can stand to be in there fron June - September. I figure about anywhere you live there is a 4 month span where it's either hot, cold, or real wet (except for those lucky guys in San Diego) so it's all good
Great Avatar. I think I will have to take from your lead and see what I can do with my Avatar as well. Thanks for the idea. It's all good.
David
Old 11-13-2008, 11:31 AM
Black 82
Instructor

I installed a Modine HotDawg. Its a forced air gas fired garage heater. Vents sideways so no chimney is needed through the roof. Works great. Not even a blip on the gas bill with layover at 55. I think its 70k BTU and its a two-car garage with a 12 ft ceiling.

Get notified of new replies

To Baby It's Cold Outside - Keeping Warm This Winter

Old 11-13-2008, 11:40 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Putting some kind of synthetic flooring down sounds like an excellent idea. Lots of heat sucked up by cold concrete. Anyone having such flooring care to elaborate on their insulating properties?
My garage floor floats on styrofoam and its pretty easy to heat in the winter.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:46 AM
earthquake68
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I had to worry about the cold, I bought an oil furnace from a guy used for $300. It heated a 1500 sq. ft. shop with no problem. I also had a double 55 gallon drum wood heater made from a kit in one of my other shops. If it was 15 degrees outside, I could get it up to 90 in the shop with three windows open! I just had to stop throwing wood on the fire when the lower drum started glow red.

I'm glad I don't need to worry about stuff like that anymore. Although, it is chilly today, we're only supposed to get up to 65 or 70 today!
Old 11-13-2008, 11:58 AM
Dave C
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Wakefield, MA here...

I bought a used convection-type propane heater (two 20 gallon tanks take me thru the winter - easy, no electricity). I keep a window open about 6" when it's on, it gets the garage to 65 degrees real quick (11' ceilings, 600 sq ft) - paid $50 for it off Craig's list...

I shut it off once the garage is heated up and I can stay out there for hours. I also have insluated/finished walls and insulated doors.

Next up a lift and a ceiling mounted NGas unit.

Have fun!

Dave
74 L82 Roadster

Quick Reply: Baby It's Cold Outside - Keeping Warm This Winter