C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Northern vs. Southern Cars: Fact or Fiction?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 09:07 PM
bpanders
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Northern vs. Southern Cars: Fact or Fiction?

I once heard from someone down south that the best corvettes are those that have spent their entire life in the cold, snowy north since they are garaged winters. Southern cars are driven more and get beat up, but won't have rust.

How true would you say this statement is? Should I be avoiding southern cars if I want a good driver, as it may be pretty worn out, or should I ignore this silly advice and not consider where the car has been?

Just curious-
Brian
Old 10-30-2008, 09:34 PM
SuprJames
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

but west is the best.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:44 PM
sabre1981
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think both sides have logic, but really, it would boil down to how the car itself was treated.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:47 PM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SuprJames
but west is the best.
Best preserved examples tend to be from the southwest, if only a little sandblasted
Old 10-30-2008, 10:56 PM
BigBlockTank
Melting Slicks

Look at this logically, the military decided to put the military aircraft storage....................in Tucson, AZ. Why? Climate is the reason, so, south west in the best area to buy from. Well, as far as rust goes anyway, that is what we're talking about, right?
Old 10-31-2008, 12:14 AM
clintwilson
Instructor

Default rust

Pa vehiclels are rust buckets.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:24 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

The best cars are those from here that were stored every winter from the day they new.

Low mileage, no wear and tear and no rust. Unfortunately extremely rare.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:32 AM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 211 Posts

Rust is the high dollar repair.. anyplace rust can get started and spread rapidly, is bad. the southwest, where dry and hot is what you want.
Frame, birdcage, Windshield Frame, Radiator Support, all are highest dollar repairs, you can fix mileage wear items alot cheaper and easier than you can rust..

just getting the body off a rusty frame, you will break almost all the bolts..
Old 10-31-2008, 07:17 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Corvettes move around the country. I guess you could call my car a Florida car. It spent the first six years in New Jersey though. The next ten were in Pennsylvania. Then the car came to Florida.

Is this a southern car or a northern car?

Richard Newton
How to Restore and Modify Your Corvette, 1968-1982
Old 10-31-2008, 08:31 AM
Derrick Reynolds
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15, '17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

There is little doubt that driving any car on salty roads exacerbates rusting problems, so I accept that as fact. What I am not sure I accept as fact is the idea that back in the day, say the late 60s and early 70s, Corvette owners in Northern locations tended to put these cars away for the winter as most or all of us here in the North do today. Since the whole "Northern cars are better" idea rests on the idea that the Northern cars were not driven on salty roads, I think that whole argument is tenuous at best.

With nothing to back this up, I THINK that the overwhelming majority of these cars were bought as daily drivers in those days and that percentage-wise, only a tiny fraction of the Northern cars were spared the exposure to salt. If I had my choice, I would take a car from the SW first, and the South second. Cars that have lived their lives in the North would be last.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:12 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBlockTank
Look at this logically, the military decided to put the military aircraft storage....................in Tucson, AZ. Why? Climate is the reason, so, south west in the best area to buy from. Well, as far as rust goes anyway, that is what we're talking about, right?
Old 10-31-2008, 09:36 AM
rydoc
Pro

Originally Posted by PKguitar
There is little doubt that driving any car on salty roads exacerbates rusting problems, so I accept that as fact. What I am not sure I accept as fact is the idea that back in the day, say the late 60s and early 70s, Corvette owners in Northern locations tended to put these cars away for the winter as most or all of us here in the North do today. Since the whole "Northern cars are better" idea rests on the idea that the Northern cars were not driven on salty roads, I think that whole argument is tenuous at best.

With nothing to back this up, I THINK that the overwhelming majority of these cars were bought as daily drivers in those days and that percentage-wise, only a tiny fraction of the Northern cars were spared the exposure to salt. If I had my choice, I would take a car from the SW first, and the South second. Cars that have lived their lives in the North would be last.
I have to agree with you on the rust issue and these cars were daily drivers in any weather conditions. Ontario Canada, the salt capital of the world, back in the day,these cars didn`t stand a chance. I have looked at a fair amount of vettes for sale...and yes a lot of rust buckets out there. I did come across a 1 owner who, garaged his vette every winter, and tried to keep it out of the rain, when ever possible.

So in conclusion: SW best, and a good Northern car Rare

Rod
Love the Vette
Old 10-31-2008, 09:51 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by sabre1981
...it would boil down to how the car itself was treated....
Old 10-31-2008, 12:44 PM
TEXASDESERTVETTE
Racer

The Southern, South-Western, and Western Sunbelt 'Vettes can be "Rust-Free"... But can have up to a " Third Degree Sunburn " on the paint and interior. Freeze damage to the paint and interior, usually begins to show up in the summer months and can appear to be sun damage. Acid based "Touch-Free" car washes can damage the paint finish quickly also. So, I would have to agree that each 'Vette should stand on its own merits, and what type of person has owned it. And what your intentions are. ,
Old 10-31-2008, 12:52 PM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Received 200 Likes on 150 Posts

A simple answer to the dilemma. CALFORNIA. No snow, no salt, no blistering sun, and, through the bulk of the 60s, 70s and 80s, first class road surfaces so they didn't get beat up.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:56 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

Northern cars that got driven a lot are rust buckets! I agree with the poster who indicated that southwest cars are the "cherries". As long as they have been there since "birth".
Old 10-31-2008, 01:15 PM
76vette454
Drifting

People who bought and owned vettes in the 60's and 70's bought them to drive. I owned three new ones in those days and they were my only means of transportion. They were not considered collector cars. Check my avatar. ski rack with ski's on the way snow skiing. Weather was never a consideration. I would say go south and west for best condition cars.

Get notified of new replies

To Northern vs. Southern Cars: Fact or Fiction?

Old 10-31-2008, 01:55 PM
Jay-Dog
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In Wisconsin, I would guess that 6 or 7 out of 10 Vettes have been treated as collector cars since early in life and are still in great shape. (No rust) My good friend in Dallas says he can't find 1 in 10 Vettes that are in good shape.(Not rusty though) People just drive them all year and are also exposed to the sun. I would not make this same argument for Mustangs and Camaros.

Jay
Old 10-31-2008, 02:54 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 82 was a Cali car- Anahiem north LA area.

The interior was BEAT and in general was not a clean car under the hod when I bought it. I pulled all the interior out anyways and started over. The dash was in good shape (not cracked) though which I thought was noteworthy. Car must have been garaged or under a carport.

HOWEVER, Ill take a little bit of dirt-grime anyday of over rust.

Great example, I just rebuilt my front suspension and the large bolts that held my front control arm mounting shafts to the frame still had the gold anodize coating on the threads as I pulled them out of the frame.

Simply AMAZING....

forgot to add: SOUTHWEST IS BEST !!!
Old 10-31-2008, 03:22 PM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Originally Posted by bpanders
I once heard from someone down south that the best corvettes are those that have spent their entire life in the cold, snowy north since they are garaged winters. Southern cars are driven more and get beat up, but won't have rust.

How true would you say this statement is? Should I be avoiding southern cars if I want a good driver, as it may be pretty worn out, or should I ignore this silly advice and not consider where the car has been?

Just curious-
Brian
Geez....if you believe that there should be a lot of rust-free Vettes floating around.
I've seen plenty of Vettes driven all Winter in the Midwest. My Vette had plenty of rust on the underneath.
And Vettes that are located along coastal areas (East or West coast) get salt air to help them rust.
I now live in the southwest (New Mexico). All cars out here are pretty much rust-free. But the sun does a job on paint on cars from the West.

Bottom line is it all depends on how well the owner takes care of the car. You can find minty Vettes in just about every part of the country.

Dep

Quick Reply: Northern vs. Southern Cars: Fact or Fiction?