Sponsored by:

Has my odometer flipped?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 10:09 PM
vett us all
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RunningMan373
What do you mean, 'Small window'? What Small window? So, what your saying is,, if your not right there when the odo flips and see the flags, then you don't know the odo fliped because you didn't see the flags? What, they show up then disappear? Look at the video,, there's no flags, or antything else that pops up, it's a myth. for the OP, just assume every car over 30 years old has had the odo fliped over at least once, unless you'ver got a really good paper trail back to it's very early years- continous service records showing the recorded millage all the way through it's life. too much
The window, is the cut out slot that the odometer numbers appear in, when looking at the milage. The crossed flags do not disappear. They remain in full view. It is what it is with the caddys.

Last edited by vett us all; 11-02-2008 at 10:12 PM.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:06 AM
RunningMan373
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vett us all
The window, is the cut out slot that the odometer numbers appear in, when looking at the milage. The crossed flags do not disappear. They remain in full view. It is what it is with the caddys.
Got a picture? which of the 6 little disks turned into a flag? I can absolutely guarantee you that that has never happened on a 'Vette. How? With the thousands of members we have, not one has a picture or a first hand view of anything different on there Odo. what are the odds a 'vette odo owned by one of our members has been turned back? 100% you say. right. No flags, no report of flags, no memory of flags. people need of realize there is no way to tell if it's been flipped or turned back. Put a 1 (at least) before the other 5 digit's (not including the tenths) and your getting close. the rest is just feel good, not fact.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:11 AM
xCCTer
CF JASOC Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Downtown Annapolis, MD. The Future is where we all have to live. Let's not screw it up.
Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by scottyp99
Hi, folks, is there a way of telling if the odometer on my 1980 'vette has flipped?

Are the rotors still riveted to the hubs? Are the pedals, carpet and seats showing normal light wear? If these items have been replaced, it's a good indication of 163k.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:42 PM
1nicecorvette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by xccter
Are the rotors still riveted to the hubs? Are the pedals, carpet and seats showing normal light wear? If these items have been replaced, it's a good indication of 163k.

what may i ask do the rotors being riveted to the hubs have to do with it being 63 or 163? how many rotors have you had last past 63 thous miles? I dont think that those would be an indication of anything but being replaced would they?
Old 11-03-2008, 03:03 PM
rydoc
Pro

Name:  008.jpg
Views: 1623
Size:  36.8 KB

This is the reading on mine,as of April 2008. With the numbers all lining up I`d say original, besides I did purchase her from the original owner. The fall of last year say Sept, I had to have my front rotors changed...they were riveted.

Name:  018.jpg
Views: 1629
Size:  48.1 KB

Other than the arm rest and cup holder, this was the condition of my interior upon purchase. You can see a stereo upgrade coming. The seat foam is starting to brake down, but that`s just age. These are a couple of things to look for, to verify original miles.
As someone said, guys on the forum love to show off thier cars, ask for pics to make comparisons.
Rod
Love the Vette
Old 07-06-2015, 08:35 PM
ekubichks
1st Gear

Default what happened?

Have this exact question
Originally Posted by RIJVETTES
Hey Scott. I have an 80- at 99,000 miles. It should flip within about a month or two, since I drive her a lot. I believe the milage is correct. I'll post if anything really crazy appears on the odometer when she flips. Jim
Old 07-07-2015, 08:56 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by ekubichks
Have this exact question
Nothing happens. This pic was taken two years ago.

Name:  myers2012-031-odometer.jpg
Views: 1596
Size:  103.8 KB
Old 07-07-2015, 09:22 AM
gungatim
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by TimAT
I've never done this, but if you tear the speeo apart there is a thin stip of white plastic across the back of the odo wheels. At 100k that strip is supposed to tear and let the spacers between the wheels turn. So now the black wheels will have a white stripe between them.
yes, on all the ones I have done, you pull the strip off, disassemble, and put the wheels back on in any orientation you want I think we'd use hot glue in place of the strip but it's bee a while... Have never seen any flags or anything pop up, but then I've never re-set a vette speedo. back in the day, it was common to re-set the odometer to zero after you rebuilt the engine. not to scam a buyer, just something everyone did to keep track of the mileage on the engine. That's why there are boxes on the title that say, "exceeds mechanical limits of odometer" And "Mileage not actual"...
Old 07-07-2015, 12:10 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 300 Likes on 214 Posts

35 year old car, does it matter.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:13 PM
80Baby
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 540 vette
BINGO!!! That's the perfect response.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:42 AM
gungatim
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by 540 vette
Guess not...having just realized this is a 7 year old thread...

Quick Reply: Has my odometer flipped?