Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jacking up a C3 for 4 rim removal??

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 04:18 PM
ArthurMartin
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jacking up a C3 for 4 rim removal??

1st vette I have owned...

I'm about to jack up my '72 and remove rims and tires. I am sandblasting rims and getting new tires.

Question.... It is pretty obvious were to jack up the front end for removal of front tires. Is it safe to jack up the back end from the middle of the rearend for removal of rear tires?

Do you jack up front, then back or left side then right side??

Also where is the proper placement for jack stands? Along the frame rails under driver and passenger doors?

Thanks
Old 10-18-2008, 05:52 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Sounds like you are on the right track...

Lots of folks lift the front by the front cross member... that's why so many are dented there. If you decide to do this, I recommend using a short 2X4 (aligned fore and aft to distribute the load) between the jack pad and the cross member.

You can lift the rear from the center as well, you'll just need to clear the spare tire carrier. I also recommend using a short 2X4 between the jack pad and the center of the spring.

Jack stands go on the frame in front of the rear tires and just below the door hinge area where the frame is horizontal.

I would recommend loosening the lug nuts before you lift it, as it can become unstable on stands trying to break the lugs loose... unless you're using an impact wrench of course.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 10-18-2008, 06:06 PM
ArthurMartin
Advanced

Thanks Gusto. Exactly what I needed to hear.
Old 10-18-2008, 06:37 PM
1stC3Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Place the jack stands where Gusto recommends.

However, I would recommend lifting one side of the car and placing jack stands, then lifting the ther side and placing them. I have done this multiple times with no problem. I don't like lifting from the center of the spring due to how the rear diff is bolted to the back of the body.

Good luck and be careful.
Dino
Old 10-18-2008, 10:20 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

I too lift mine one side at a time. Just be sure not to lift under the transmissioin crossmember either, or you'll dent that. I then place jack stands under the frame right at the edge of where the frame is straight, front and back.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:11 AM
ArthurMartin
Advanced

Good deal. Thanks for the info. This rear end is like no other I have owned so I wasn't sure if you could lift it from there. I will just go with frame rails to be safe..

Get notified of new replies

To Jacking up a C3 for 4 rim removal??

Quick Reply: Jacking up a C3 for 4 rim removal??