Sponsored by:

Rear Wheel Bearing Assembly

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 11:07 PM
kdf1986
Safety Car

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

Default Rear Wheel Bearing Assembly

I need to replace the right rear wheel bearing and spindle on my 1975 vette. I am planning on buying a new rear wheel bearing assemble from one of our supporting vendors.

My question is can the wheel bearing assembly be installed on the trailing arm in one piece, or does the flange have to be removed in order for it to fit through the trailing arm.

I am looking at an exploded diagram in one of the catalogs, and cannot determine if the flange and inner bearings need to be removed in order to mount it on the trailing arm. Since the assembly is already put together, and hopefully the end play is adjusted, then it seems to defeat the purpose of this if it has to be taken apart to be mounted in the trailing arm.

I have more than 1/2 inch of play in the spindle/bearing now. I can move the rear wheel from 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock position by 1/2 inch or more, and can visibly see the flange moving up and down. And a very bad grinding sound coming from the rear end so I know it is time for a new spindle and bearing.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

KDF
Old 10-14-2008, 09:34 AM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 195 Likes on 150 Posts

Its more involved than simply replacing the bearings like on the front wheels.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...=rear+bearings
Old 10-14-2008, 10:22 AM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 272 Posts

Ken,

Scott is correct, but I think you knew that from your question. If you are trying to change the wheel bearings without removing the trailing arm, it can be done but you will need to install the flange after setting up the bearings and mounting the support back on the trailing arm. You'll need the setup tool to do this.

This is the way I did it and it worked out ok. It is a little harder than removing the TA though. I have the setup tools if you don't want to buy them. Drop me an IM.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:56 AM
corvetteload
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Best to have a pro set them up, my 75 spun a rear once, took out the bearing retainer and spindle. I had a Chevy mechanic set up the bearings and then I disassembled to install on the car. Worked great!!
Old 10-14-2008, 11:08 AM
justanotherdoe
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you get something like this:

http://www.zip-products.com/Zip/prod...73B980CD92B0CE

it will bolt directly on to the arm. I've replaced both of mine w/these, and no problems so far with 15k miles of daily driving.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:12 AM
PETKAH
Safety Car

I recently ordered the Duntov Corvettes rear wheel spindles, complete bearing kit for what I think is a great price. You can also get the entire trailing arm assembly - arm,spindle, bearings all put together for about $540. I was very satisfied with their products.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:56 PM
Michel B
Burning Brakes

Location: Ville de la Baie Quebec. A winner is just a loser who tried again.
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

The flange ( I think your talking about the complete hub). You have no choice in removing it with a puller, its the only way you can replace the outboard bearing. You can easy make a puller with a thick piece of steel, some threaded rod. The set up tool is very handy, but you don't need it, you may have to remove/install a few times to get the good measurements. This all depends on your abillity to do your own work, the easiest way is by far to drop it off and pick it up at the end of the day,, and don't forget your wallet.
A forum member has even offerd to lend you some tools !! go for it !
Old 10-14-2008, 04:40 PM
kdf1986
Safety Car

I am not planning on rebuilding the wheel bearing assembly myself, but am going to buy a completed assembly. I did find some information at VANSTEEL website about removing the rear wheel bearing assembly.

http://www.vansteel.com/index.cfm?fu...home&pageID=11

I am wondering know if it would be easier in the long run just to remove the entire T/A assembly and have it sent for refurbishing. The car is in the garage while I make a list of what I need to do, or buy.

kdf
Old 10-14-2008, 04:43 PM
kdf1986
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Scott Marzahl
Its more involved than simply replacing the bearings like on the front wheels.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...=rear+bearings
Thanks for the reply Scott. I remember reading your thread on this with the photos and the 20 ton press. As soon as I saw your Avatar with the gears I knew it was one I read through. I am not planning on rebuilding my set, as I do not own all the tools, or the press. I am planning on buying an assembled one to avoid this issue.

KDF
Old 10-14-2008, 04:48 PM
kdf1986
Safety Car

Originally Posted by justanotherdoe
If you get something like this:
it will bolt directly on to the arm. I've replaced both of mine w/these, and no problems so far with 15k miles of daily driving.
This is the route that I am hoping to take. I see now that the bearing assembly has to be disassembled, for the spindle to fit through the TA, then the inside bearing, shims and dust cover get replaced before the flange is mounted back on. I am hoping that by doing it in this manner the endplay has been adjusted and the correct shim thickness has been compensated for to get the .001 - .008 end play. I think I will still need a magnetic dial indicator to get the proper end play when I am torquing the flange into place.

kdf
Old 10-14-2008, 04:50 PM
kdf1986
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Michel B
A forum member has even offerd to lend you some tools !! go for it !
I am going to send him an IM after I decide whether to do only the wheel bearing assembly, or just bite the bullet and do the entire TA.

kdf
Old 10-14-2008, 08:31 PM
Michel B
Burning Brakes

Old 06-29-2022, 11:17 AM
Sfelan
3rd Gear

Question on this thread. I am needing to replace wheel bearing assembly on the right side of my 79' Is it recommended or necessary to do both sides? Thanks in advance for any input
Old 06-29-2022, 12:41 PM
67:72
1967 Pedal Car Champion
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,018 Likes on 1,363 Posts

Here comes the Admin hammer!

(Admin does not like folks responding to 14 year old threads. Best to start a brand new one with a link to this one if the old conversation is pertinent.)
Old 06-29-2022, 02:34 PM
C6-CYa
Drifting

Received 210 Likes on 146 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'09-', '22

Especially when you open two necro threads with the exact same question...
Old 06-29-2022, 06:37 PM
kdf1986
Safety Car

It was interesting to read my thread from 14 years ago. I still have those cars, and was surprised at how much I learned from CF in such a short time.
kdf
The following users liked this post:
Michel B (06-29-2022)
Old 06-29-2022, 07:49 PM
Michel B
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sfelan
Question on this thread. I am needing to replace wheel bearing assembly on the right side of my 79' Is it recommended or necessary to do both sides? Thanks in advance for any input
You can replace just the one bearing, it won't affect anything
Old 06-29-2022, 07:52 PM
Michel B
Burning Brakes

Same for me,, this forum was so helpfull with my restoration,, I too still have the car and now its my son who is injoying it LOL

Get notified of new replies

To Rear Wheel Bearing Assembly

Quick Reply: Rear Wheel Bearing Assembly