Sponsored by:

well... it's low

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 09:46 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by OogieBoogie
That is the problem with our Corvettes. All the work we do defies all the rules of investment or benefit. The biggest benefit if how we feel when we are done with them. I have so many plans for mine that I know that once I'm done, I'm putting more money into a rubber bumber car than I have any chance of getting back. This guy is building his vision, and for that I commend him. We all love our cars and seek to make them expressions of ourselves.

I totally agree, though I do try to make sure the things I do or buy for my car have a function and are cost effective. You know...a reason behind it. There's another aspect that I think puzzles me and it's almost more of an economic stand point. Some guys...like me, will scrimp and save and sell things and donate plasma...just to afford a new camshaft for an engine to make the car run. I would have to go without lunch for a month to afford a new camshaft without affecting anything else. Yet, there are guys out there that will spend several thousand dollars to make their car hop up and down at a car show. Not saying they don't work hard for their money...because they do, and they can spend it the way they want to. That's the beauty of this hobby. It's just something I have to learn more about and understand better.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:05 PM
rosslato
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by onaqwst
why...because i never picked up that adjustment rod that i need to get like 2 years ago...hahahah.......

dont hate on people that dont use torque wrenches.....
yep, it's still sittin in me garage waiting for ya as is my 2 cheeseburgers at Millers bar, yum!
sorry Trucks, looking forward to autorama in 09
now back to the topic at hand.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:14 PM
OogieBoogie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Durango_Boy
I totally agree, though I do try to make sure the things I do or buy for my car have a function and are cost effective. You know...a reason behind it. There's another aspect that I think puzzles me and it's almost more of an economic stand point. Some guys...like me, will scrimp and save and sell things and donate plasma...just to afford a new camshaft for an engine to make the car run. I would have to go without lunch for a month to afford a new camshaft without affecting anything else. Yet, there are guys out there that will spend several thousand dollars to make their car hop up and down at a car show. Not saying they don't work hard for their money...because they do, and they can spend it the way they want to. That's the beauty of this hobby. It's just something I have to learn more about and understand better.
Actually, DB, I think the key is to stop trying to understand and just learn to look and appreciate the effort other put into their cars. I see cars on here that are not to my taste (not ugly (I hate that word)), just not to my taste, but I respect the effort put into it, and definitely respect their love for their vehicle and the pride they have in it. My Stingray is kinda loud (exhaust leak) and needs painting, but I feel like a million dollars when I get to cruise around in it. When I get my car to the point where I'm done with it, I'm sure a lot of you all will think that it is ugly, but I'll still love it!!! Keep up the good work, Trucks_69!!
Old 10-17-2008, 10:18 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by OogieBoogie
Actually, DB, I think the key is to stop trying to understand and just learn to look and appreciate the effort other put into their cars.

I certainly don't have a problem with that. In fact that's what I usually look at and commend first. Like the guy that builds a wagon Corvette. Imaging all the bashing those poor guys get on this forum yet I'll be in line to tell them how much I appreciate all their hard work. Same for Trucks. I love fabricating my own parts and coming up with fun and unique ways of building something. When I see someone put a lot of hard work and effort into something they are passionate about I feel good for that person.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:26 PM
OogieBoogie
Racer

Originally Posted by Durango_Boy
I certainly don't have a problem with that. In fact that's what I usually look at and commend first. Like the guy that builds a wagon Corvette. Imaging all the bashing those poor guys get on this forum yet I'll be in line to tell them how much I appreciate all their hard work. Same for Trucks. I love fabricating my own parts and coming up with fun and unique ways of building something. When I see someone put a lot of hard work and effort into something they are passionate about I feel good for that person.
I have double the appreciation because I have not technical skills whatsoever. I'm so impressed when I see others that have such talents, whether the outcome is to my taste or not.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:42 AM
Trucks_69
Advanced

well thanks guys

on a side note i can start back up on the project this week (my garage door was practicly falling down and had to pretty much re-build my garage to put the new roll up on... but it's done now w00t!)
so i sorta tinkered with it a bit last night, and well i made a decison in my wheels...
a friend of mine let me borrow two 20" wheels off his S-10 to get an idea for how the wheel would look... and um, yea deff. not what i'm gonna do... it is probally the most gaudy thing i've ever seen.... lmao it's not tucking enough rim to look good... so, as of right now i'm sticking with my 17s... i miay however bump the rear up to an 18 and go with a shorter tire up front... but as for 20s i say NAY!

i'll post up some pics tonight before i take these things off
Old 10-19-2008, 09:59 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,652 Posts

It's your car and you need to do it the way you like not what I like or anyone else for that matter. Since you are going with 17s or maybe 17s and 18s think about the wheel style you choose. The Boyds that you were thinking about may be a little too trendy. The wild spokes I think will look dated real fast. You may want to consider something a little more traditional in either a 5 or 10 spoke. You can always make them different with mixing and matching finishes (brushed centers / powder coated centers / even brushed lips and polished centers). Again your car - your hard earned money - you need to make yourself happy. It takes a long time to build a car and when it's been done for a couple of years you hate to here it looks dated. I think as people say the "bling" wheels look dated real quick. Hey you can always just buy a new set and change the look. Keep the pictures coming this is a great project. Thanks for posting.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:51 AM
Trucks_69
Advanced

Originally Posted by 3JsVette
It's your car and you need to do it the way you like not what I like or anyone else for that matter. Since you are going with 17s or maybe 17s and 18s think about the wheel style you choose. The Boyds that you were thinking about may be a little too trendy. The wild spokes I think will look dated real fast. You may want to consider something a little more traditional in either a 5 or 10 spoke. You can always make them different with mixing and matching finishes (brushed centers / powder coated centers / even brushed lips and polished centers). Again your car - your hard earned money - you need to make yourself happy. It takes a long time to build a car and when it's been done for a couple of years you hate to here it looks dated. I think as people say the "bling" wheels look dated real quick. Hey you can always just buy a new set and change the look. Keep the pictures coming this is a great project. Thanks for posting.
well as of right now i'm sticking with the wheels i have (colorado custom leadville) which is a five spoke wheel, i just might go with a bigger size of the same wheel out back and a smaller tire up front so it matches
Old 10-19-2008, 11:54 AM
Trucks_69
Advanced

btw for the guys that wanna see my S-10 minitruck... here it is...
it's also different from your 'run of the mill" mini truck

and the interior (which kinda makes the truck)
Old 10-19-2008, 03:17 PM
V-Twin
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's keeping those fabrication pics? I'm sure others want to see your inginuity too...or is there none?
Old 10-19-2008, 03:31 PM
Glassbowtie77
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you need to lower it another 6". J/K, it looks good, hopefully you won't have any rubbing issues. How do you intend to get a jack under it if you have? It looks to low to drive up onto ramps and too low for a floor jack.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:20 PM
KTKelly
Burning Brakes

P/U is really great!

I love the retro look.

And I, for one, really like the Vette....
Old 10-20-2008, 02:46 PM
Trucks_69
Advanced

Originally Posted by Glassbowtie77
How do you intend to get a jack under it if you have? It looks to low to drive up onto ramps and too low for a floor jack.
you hit the button and air it up it goes about 4" higher than stock height at full lift

also no fab pics until the car is at or near completion... surry...
Old 10-20-2008, 02:58 PM
V-Twin
Burning Brakes

Is it so super secret?
Old 10-20-2008, 04:47 PM
danboback
Melting Slicks

Car looks great at ride height.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:00 PM
mod81
Burning Brakes

can I just say that i've seen the word investment pop up a few times...are you guys seriously using cars as investments? I'm only 23 but I know enough to say there's a lot better things to do with your money if you concerned with ROI. Sorry for the momentary hijack, but its semi related since everyone is so concerned with making money on selling their vette. Either enjoy your car how you want to(like trucks is doing) or sell it, invest the profits and enjoy your money when the market bounces back if your that tight on dough.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:00 PM
Trucks_69
Advanced

Originally Posted by mod81
can I just say that i've seen the word investment pop up a few times...are you guys seriously using cars as investments? I'm only 23 but I know enough to say there's a lot better things to do with your money if you concerned with ROI. Sorry for the momentary hijack, but its semi related since everyone is so concerned with making money on selling their vette. Either enjoy your car how you want to(like trucks is doing) or sell it, invest the profits and enjoy your money when the market bounces back if your that tight on dough.
pretty much.... lol

i too am only 23

Get notified of new replies

To well... it's low

Old 10-20-2008, 09:12 PM
danboback
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mod81
I'm pretty sure when DB was talking about investment, it didn't have anything to do with selling his car. But more if paying all that money is worth it to him for whatever effect the product has on the car. Like saying one cam increases HP by 20 and another one by 3, but the one that increases 20 costs twice as much, is that 17 HP worth the investment? I don't think he was being so literal.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:49 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by danboback
I'm pretty sure when DB was talking about investment, it didn't have anything to do with selling his car. But more if paying all that money is worth it to him for whatever effect the product has on the car. Like saying one cam increases HP by 20 and another one by 3, but the one that increases 20 costs twice as much, is that 17 HP worth the investment? I don't think he was being so literal.

He's right on. I have no intentions of ever selling my Vette. Ever. Never. I might even have myself buried in it.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:53 PM
Trucks_69
Advanced

ok well my garage is finally finished and i can get back to business on the vette project...
i started off yesterday by pulling off the entire braking system... calipers, line, and master cylinder... i'm replacing all the lines, and master cylinder... also going to be smoothing/shaving and painting my stock calipers, along with rebuilding them...

and i have a question for anyone that has re-built the stock c3 calipers before... how do you go about doing it... never done these before and really don't wanna screw them up...
i wanna change out all the seals and everything any help would be greatly appreciated

Quick Reply: well... it's low