Sponsored by:

Stupid corvette injury

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 11:09 AM
newb2vettes
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid corvette injury

Hopefully this will make some of you out there laugh. It's kinda funny looking back on it.

This past sunday I had a tee time @ 8:30 and wanted to drive my vette to the golf course. The car was backed in my garage and I didn't want to start it in the garage because my two children were sleeping and their rooms are right above the garage. So I got the bright idea of pushing the car out of the garage from behind and run around and jump in the car to stop it. Well, I got the car moving and when I ran around to jump in the car my right foot made it in the car and my left foot ended up under the back tire. !!! So at 7:15 on sunday morning I'm lying in my driveway with my right foot on the brake and my left foot under the tire...after a couple minutes of laying there wondering "what do I do now" I decided to take my right foot off the brake and let the roll over my foot. Needless to say, I missed my golf outing and spent Sunday morning in the emergency room. Luckly, nothing was broken but i needed some stitches and have some pretty good road rash on my foot because I was wearing flip flops.

Next time I'm going to just start the car in the garage and if it wakes up the kids then so be it!

Oh, I also named my vette Christine after the Stephen King book!!
Old 10-10-2008, 11:13 AM
Vampyre
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow..... glad you are ok.....
Old 10-10-2008, 11:17 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

A lot of people have done that exact same thing...pushing a Vette and getting an ankle rolled under the tire.

One member, has had some VERY SERIOUS lasting injuries and a lot of corrective surgeries as a result of his accident doing the same thing. He lost a lot of ankle bone, had infections, and I think they had to fuse the joint.

That's the kind of injury that's hard to live past because it affects so much of one's life.

Lets all be very careful not to get into that situation. OP - You were very lucky and I am glad it turned out well for you.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:20 AM
moosie982
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

You are very lucky thats all you got, a similar experiece happened to a forum member "Clutch Dust" a while back and F'ed up his ankle/leg/foot pretty bad, he had pictures posted but they were deemed too graphic and were deleted by the powers that be, I dunno if he ever fully recovered, sure hope he did, do a search , its a pretty common occurance when you can get people to 'fess up. It happened to me but I was very lucky , it only got my toes, sore for a bit but o.k.
Peace,,,Moosie
Old 10-10-2008, 11:44 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

OUCH....when you said you were going to take your right foot off the brake and let it go ahead and roll the rest of the way over your foot I got this very cold chill up my spine.Dang that must of hurt.
Glad to hear your basically OK.
Hmmmm this seems to have happened to more than one person,could this be the making for a lawsuit?
Old 10-10-2008, 12:19 PM
68L71
Pro

Originally Posted by DWncchs
Hmmmm this seems to have happened to more than one person,could this be the making for a lawsuit?
I hope you're kidding
Old 10-10-2008, 12:28 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 549 Likes on 376 Posts

Another situation where you can find yourself trying to get into your rolling car is when the parking brake doesn't hold and the car starts rolling. When I was having my rear end rebuilt at Tom's, I was told that if I wanted the 1/2 inch wheel studs, I would have to delete the parking brakes. Now that I've been driving the car, I'm glad I went with 7/16 studs and kept the brakes. I like being able to leave the car parked on a slight incline with the engine running.
Old 10-10-2008, 03:35 PM
kevinator80
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess the embarrassment of being found with your foot under the tire was too much, huh?

Sorry, but the picture in my mind tells me I would have done the same thing rather than having my neighbor find me and then rag me for the rest of my life.

Glad you are ok.

Maybe I wont reinstall that neutral safety switch after all.

I am just kidding, but I could have cranked mine in reverse and backed off my foot.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:04 PM
thegavel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup,
Same happened to me at a car show. We needed to
move the car (flat battery) So some kind souls started to push my car forwards but it wouldn't move, SO they pushed harder,Needless to say the reason it wouldn't move was MY FOOT !!!! No one could hear me yelling as the Ricers were DOOF DOOFING near by.
Bruised ankle (EGO too).

Gav
Old 10-10-2008, 04:05 PM
fe1ixdakatt
Instructor

LOL... that's an awesome story. Sounds like something I'd do.

I once accidentally shut my garage door while there was a garbage can underneath it's path (doesn't have a safety stop), and made a mad dash to save the can (no clue why). I dove and tackled the can so that it wouldn't be crushed by the door, then found myself laying on a dark garage floor covered in dirty diapers and wondering "Why didn't I just let the stupid garbage can get squished?" I covered myself in baby feces and garbage to save a $5 plastic bin from Wal-Mart.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:13 PM
rayluka
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

When i read the caption I thought it might have been the ole one foot on the brake one under the tire. I was pushing mine out of the garage and got my right foot caught. Fortunately it didnt go as poorly as your situation. I was able to push it backward. Sorry to hear you got injured.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:20 PM
mod81
Burning Brakes

my dad did this to my 81...except when he felt his foot getting pulled under he jumped back, knocked the door open further and peeled the door skin off on the side of the garage when it rolled out! Man was I pissed!
Old 10-10-2008, 04:23 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Ouch!!! I feel for you. I have to say though, that this is not the first time that this has happened on the forum. Someone posted pics from their accident also. Very nasty bruising and some dang painful recovery.

Edit: Looks like others remember Clutch Dust as the member with the pics.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:44 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 68L71
I hope you're kidding
Why do you hope I'm kidding?

You dont think this might be a design flaw?
Shouldnt the fender be protecting you from this happening?
I would imagine the OP would think twice about trying to jump into the car next time its rolling away.
What if one day in the future his wife is sitting in the passenger seat with her Ipod on and her eyes closed enjoying the music and Christine decides to take off again?Hmmm?
Maybe a recall is in order.

Last edited by ...Roger...; 10-10-2008 at 04:46 PM.
Old 10-11-2008, 01:26 AM
Rickman
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Glad you are o.k. and can now laugh about it. It could have been much worse, like Clutch Dust.

I was gonna roll my 72 out of the garage late one night last week when I remembered the Clutch Dust story and smartly decided to start the car and wake up the neighborhood.

FE1: thank you for the trash can/garage door story. I think that is the first time this week that I really laughed out loud, due to stock market, Nobama, etc. Can you imagine if your neighbor had caught you on video diving for the trash can? A $100k winner on "Funniest Home Videos" for sure.

Rickman
Old 10-11-2008, 08:55 AM
76 VETTE
Melting Slicks

I have read a few posts about that happening. Always gives me a heads up in the winter time when I need to move the vette in the garage just a few inches.Glad it wasn't serious.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:20 AM
OogieBoogie
Racer

Thank goodness you are OK!! Let's all be careful out there and keep the C3 community healthy and fun.

Get notified of new replies

To Stupid corvette injury

Old 10-11-2008, 10:52 AM
ezelljm
Navigator

I have had to push my car out several times, and weighing in at a slender 180 lbs, I open the driver's door, dig my shoulder into the front left pillar, and PUUUUSH!! I only get enough momentum to get it moving, and have one hand free to reach in and make small steering adjustments. Fortunately I have never been hurt by doing this, but may get a temporary red spot on my shoulder. I am sorry that happened to you. It's hard to get up and do things around the house that make noise, when everyone else in the house is sleeping, I know!! Glad you didn't get hurt in a major way, though.
Old 10-11-2008, 01:02 PM
moosie982
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DWncchs
Why do you hope I'm kidding?

You dont think this might be a design flaw?
Shouldnt the fender be protecting you from this happening?
I would imagine the OP would think twice about trying to jump into the car next time its rolling away.
What if one day in the future his wife is sitting in the passenger seat with her Ipod on and her eyes closed enjoying the music and Christine decides to take off again?Hmmm?
Maybe a recall is in order.
Sounds like a Mc Donalds Hot cup of coffee type of law suit , Stupidity should not be rewarded or compensated for, Sorry, but dummies need to be held accountable for their actions , Peace,,,Moosie
*on second thought, is your tongue in cheek ?*
Old 10-11-2008, 01:39 PM
onaqwst
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

awww......... i dun gots my foot stuck again...shiet mang'

Quick Reply: Stupid corvette injury