Sponsored by:

driver side door handel not working

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 11:28 PM
randommj
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default driver side door handel not working

I we to open the car today and the exterior door handel isnt working at all, it only goes down about half way then stops DEAD about where it normally engages the latch mechinism, Ive tried all kinds of things to get it to work, its almost like something got under the handel itself and its preventing it from going down. the inside handel works fine, just the exterior is all jacked up, anyone have this preblem before?

Miles
Old 09-21-2008, 04:39 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

The door mechanism has gotten sticky (lack of grease) and the actuation rod has bent. You'll have to take the inner panel off and see if you can wiggle in there enough to straighten the rod out and lubricate everything well. If that turns out to be the case, you'd better do both doors. [note: if you can't open the door from the inside either, something's broken or come loose in the mechanism.]
Old 09-21-2008, 09:46 AM
GPGG70
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
The door mechanism has gotten sticky (lack of grease) and the actuation rod has bent. You'll have to take the inner panel off and see if you can wiggle in there enough to straighten the rod out and lubricate everything well. If that turns out to be the case, you'd better do both doors. [note: if you can't open the door from the inside either, something's broken or come loose in the mechanism.]
with 7T1vette. Heres a thought also. Look close at the spring hinge side of the door mechanism. At the same time push down as far as it will go but dont force any thing. What your looking for is a stainless steel little flat shim/spring about 3/4" wide that a person can stick down inside under the handle if and when it starts to sag in over the years. I noticed on my driverside door mechanism that there is one of the spring/shim in there. It might be that this spring is in a bind inside the housing and is keeping the handle from pushing down all the way.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:18 PM
randommj
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
I can open the door from the inside, so Im thinking your right, hopefully nothings broken

does anyone have a picture of the mechinisim I should be looking at?

Miles
Old 09-21-2008, 08:28 PM
Shark Mann
Instructor

If I remember correctly the inside handle and outside handle had different rods connecting to the mechanism. My 69's passenger side wouldn't open from the outside until I connected the outside rod back to the mechanism. There is a pin or clip that holds in on, make sure that isn't broken or missing. Hope this helps.

-Shark Mann
Old 09-22-2008, 09:48 PM
randommj
Safety Car

does anyone have a pick of how everything should look?

Miles

Get notified of new replies

To driver side door handel not working

Quick Reply: driver side door handel not working