Sponsored by:

Thinking of getting a sand blaster...

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 03:45 PM
jonny4523
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Default Thinking of getting a sand blaster...

I'm getting some of the prep work done for my body-off and I'd like to get a sand blaster. I'm thinking of something like this:

http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/...1001/p557.html

Anyone have experience with something like this?

Anyone know of a place where I could get cheap media? Lowes and Home Depot don't seem to carry it.
Old 09-07-2008, 05:23 PM
vett us all
Racer

Originally Posted by jonny4523
I'm getting some of the prep work done for my body-off and I'd like to get a sand blaster. I'm thinking of something like this:

http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/...1001/p557.html

Anyone have experience with something like this?

Anyone know of a place where I could get cheap media? Lowes and Home Depot don't seem to carry it.
The 45lb or the 80lb. I would opt for the 80lb. Make sure you have a compressor that will supply enough air. Over 6 scfm. I don't know of cheap media, however i buy the play ground sand at home depot
and pour it over some screen taped on top of a 5 gal bucket. Works for me. You might want to try a contractor supply house for sand that has round edges instead of square.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:30 PM
Lights
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vett us all
The 45lb or the 80lb. I would opt for the 80lb. Make sure you have a compressor that will supply enough air. Over 6 scfm. I don't know of cheap media, however i buy the play ground sand at home depot
and pour it over some screen taped on top of a 5 gal bucket. Works for me. You might want to try a contractor supply house for sand that has round edges instead of square.
Exactly what I would have said. I made the mistake of buying the 40lb and wish I had bought the 80lb. Apparently great minds think alike because I do the same thing (pour it over some screen taped on top of a 5 gal bucket)
Old 09-07-2008, 06:49 PM
Skip Burney
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a 100 lb blaster like that one but I never use sand box or play sand like you get at Lowes or Home Depot, the grains are way to large and it isn`t as dry as you need. I only use fine blasting sand, it`s dry and the grain size is uniform, almost like a powder. I get mine from a local supplier at about 3 bucks per 80 lb bag. I use a 5 hp 2 stage compresser and thats about as small as I can get by with. It has done 4 airplane fuselages, a 65 ford pickup, 2 Austin Healey 3000`s, a 73 vette frame and a ton of smaller stuff.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:30 PM
jonny4523
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by vett us all
Why not the 45lb? Run out too fast?

I've got the compressed air covered. I have a big 6hp compressor that'll give me 9 scfm.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:46 PM
vett us all
Racer

Originally Posted by Skip Burney
I have a 100 lb blaster like that one but I never use sand box or play sand like you get at Lowes or Home Depot, the grains are way to large and it isn`t as dry as you need. I only use fine blasting sand, it`s dry and the grain size is uniform, almost like a powder. I get mine from a local supplier at about 3 bucks per 80 lb bag. I use a 5 hp 2 stage compresser and thats about as small as I can get by with. It has done 4 airplane fuselages, a 65 ford pickup, 2 Austin Healey 3000`s, a 73 vette frame and a ton of smaller stuff.
Thanks for the info. Do you have the name of the blasting sand you use?
Old 09-07-2008, 09:06 PM
Skip Burney
Burning Brakes

I just went to the shop and checked for ya. I have sand from 2 different suppliers. Standard Sand and Silica in Jacksonville Florida and the other is Unimin located in Junction City Georgia. You might check with them and see if they sell to someone local to you. And the bags are 50 lb bags they only feel like 80 lbs at the end of the day. Hope this helps. Skip
Old 09-07-2008, 09:47 PM
gator79
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I use black diamond blasting media from Tractor Supply about 7 bucks a bag and safe. no silica
Old 09-07-2008, 10:17 PM
jonny4523
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

What's the deal with silica? Why is it undesirable? Not eco-friendly?
Old 09-07-2008, 10:29 PM
Skip Burney
Burning Brakes

Silica is bad for your lungs over a period of time. I always wear a good cartridge respirator no matter what media I use. They are cheap insurance. You can get one at Lowes and the cartridges that are rated for sandblasting are there too. I have an air supplied one for Isocynate paints though.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:42 PM
gator79
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Skip Burney
Silica is bad for your lungs over a period of time. I always wear a good cartridge respirator no matter what media I use. They are cheap insurance. You can get one at Lowes and the cartridges that are rated for sandblasting are there too. I have an air supplied one for Isocynate paints though.
I have the same, silica is bad for your lungs, why take the risk when you do not have to
Old 09-08-2008, 07:07 AM
bikerdave47
Cruising

Originally Posted by gator79
I use black diamond blasting media from Tractor Supply about 7 bucks a bag and safe. no silica
I agree, seems to work Well, and different Grits are available, if Not displayed-Ask.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:27 AM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have that same blaster from Harbor Freight and it has done well for me. I buy playground sand and screen it. I do wear a mask, don't sandblast without protection.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:33 AM
jonny4523
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by markdtn
I have that same blaster from Harbor Freight and it has done well for me. I buy playground sand and screen it. I do wear a mask, don't sandblast without protection.
So why were people against the 45 lb tank? How big is your Harbor Freight tank? How long will it last you before you have to fill it up?
Old 09-08-2008, 07:39 AM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jonny4523
So why were people against the 45 lb tank? How big is your Harbor Freight tank? How long will it last you before you have to fill it up?
I have the 45lb tank. It does run out pretty fast. The only time it bothered me was when I was doing the frame. I had to stop and fill it up pretty often. I just told myself that I always had fresh sand that way. I don't remember a time exactly, maybe 15-20 minutes?
Old 09-08-2008, 08:20 AM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 263 Likes on 210 Posts

I have really struggled with sand blasting.. I find that prep and cleanup and keeping the equipment adjusted overwhelm the time it takes to blast any part.. doing anything in your garage will cause a mess that will drive you nuts..
you need acreage outside, no neighbors becasue the blasting makes the devils own noise, a good big compressor, the correct tips, DRY, screen sifted sand, pressure regulator and one that removes the water and condensation from your air line, if water gets in and clogs your sand blaster, you will have to stop and disassemble everything to clean it out.. believe me, I have worked an hour to get a good 5 minutes of blasting done.

I found I had to bake my sand in an oven to get it dry when buying the home depot sandbox sand, but is does cut just as well..
I you do blast indoors, then blast with the best cabinet you can afford, you will need lights, power, vacuum, good sealant on the cabinet. if you blast any time without the cabinet sealed, that sand and dust gets everywhere..and I mean EVERYWHERE.. especially your lungs.

setting the adjustment of you blaster is sometimes a nightmare. Mine has input pressure, bottom and top tank inlet, outlet valves, I have found I had to play alot with the settings to get the sand to start and to cut... and then 30 seconds into blasting, it will clog again, or stop flowing..

never buy those siphon feeds that draw sand out of a bucket you will hate yourself..

I have untimately resolved to take my pieces to a local shop and pay them to blast my parts..
Old 09-08-2008, 08:39 AM
jonny4523
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Would I be right in assuming that none of the media is recycleable (put it back in the tank and use it again)? What do you do with it afterwards? Just throw it away?

Get notified of new replies

To Thinking of getting a sand blaster...

Old 09-08-2008, 08:47 AM
jonny4523
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by joewill
I have really struggled with sand blasting.. I find that prep and cleanup and keeping the equipment adjusted overwhelm the time it takes to blast any part.. doing anything in your garage will cause a mess that will drive you nuts..
you need acreage outside, no neighbors becasue the blasting makes the devils own noise, a good big compressor, the correct tips, DRY, screen sifted sand, pressure regulator and one that removes the water and condensation from your air line, if water gets in and clogs your sand blaster, you will have to stop and disassemble everything to clean it out.. believe me, I have worked an hour to get a good 5 minutes of blasting done.

I found I had to bake my sand in an oven to get it dry when buying the home depot sandbox sand, but is does cut just as well..
I you do blast indoors, then blast with the best cabinet you can afford, you will need lights, power, vacuum, good sealant on the cabinet. if you blast any time without the cabinet sealed, that sand and dust gets everywhere..and I mean EVERYWHERE.. especially your lungs.

setting the adjustment of you blaster is sometimes a nightmare. Mine has input pressure, bottom and top tank inlet, outlet valves, I have found I had to play alot with the settings to get the sand to start and to cut... and then 30 seconds into blasting, it will clog again, or stop flowing..

never buy those siphon feeds that draw sand out of a bucket you will hate yourself..

I have untimately resolved to take my pieces to a local shop and pay them to blast my parts..
But when considering of transporting a frame to the shop and paying for the service, I figured a sand blaster might be a wise investment. I would have to either rent a trailor or bring my Dad's up from Indy. But gas alone might prove that to be a bad idea. Plus, how cool would it be to have my own sandblaster? The possibilities are endless!
Old 09-08-2008, 10:09 AM
jonny4523
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

What about the difference in media as far as what would be best to use on which material (Corvette frame, aluminum, cast iron, wood)? Like sand vs coal slag vs glass beads?

Last edited by jonny4523; 09-08-2008 at 10:11 AM.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:37 PM
koni9
Instructor

Harbour Freight. Can't beat it... For My frame all I used was Home Depot play sand. Make sure that you inspect the bag first to see if the sand is dry. If the sand is moist, it's a pain in the ***.....
Just my 2 cents...

Quick Reply: Thinking of getting a sand blaster...