C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MEANEST sounding (muffler)insert for hooker sidepipes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 09:21 AM
yellow 72
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by GrandSportC3

Drove over 40k miles with 2 different Vettes with no mufflers and Hooker Sidepipes...
There's a difference between a great sounding exhaust and flat obnoxious....which imo is what open headers on the street is.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:02 PM
vintage-racer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MaxFlow?

I'm leaning more towards the Max flows part #21046HKR,hoping they will create the right kind of NOISE.. The inserts I had on my 68 small block were a straight thru design,with a perforated tube inside ,looking unobstructed end to end . I loved them. I'm hoping that the Max flows are the same.

Last edited by vintage-racer; 06-25-2008 at 12:05 PM. Reason: addition
Old 06-25-2008, 12:10 PM
yellow 72
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by vintage-racer
I'm leaning more towards the Max flows part #21046HKR,hoping they will create the right kind of NOISE.. The inserts I had on my 68 small block were a straight thru design,with a perforated tube inside ,looking unobstructed end to end . I loved them. I'm hoping that the Max flows are the same.
I had 2 1/4" perforated core Dynomax Magnum glasspacks in mine before I replaced them with the Max Flo. They have the same deep tone as the Dynomax which I prefer.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:13 PM
vintage-racer
Instructor

Can you see (2.5")straight thru the max flows from one end to the other?
Old 06-25-2008, 12:16 PM
Frank_833
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by GrandSportC3
Drove over 40k miles with 2 different Vettes with no mufflers and Hooker Sidepipes...
I let mine idle for 10 minutes on the driveway before the cop showed up. That and I live on 3 acres!

But I have one neighbor who complains when my son rides is '69 Z50 Mini-Bike in the yard.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:49 PM
2000FRCZ19
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

yes, they are open from one end to the other with no obstructions. it is a straight 2.5" hole surrounded by a perforated glass pack.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:54 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

Originally Posted by Frank_833
I let mine idle for 10 minutes on the driveway before the cop showed up. That and I live on 3 acres!

But I have one neighbor who complains when my son rides is '69 Z50 Mini-Bike in the yard.

Well, Florida is different.. I even lived for 4 years in Miami Beach in a Beachfront condo with the car in the condo garage.. Everytime I came home or left the building (in building parking), all the car alarms went off. Never got any complaint.. In all those 40k miles, I got ONE warning by a cop in Miami Beach

I'm at a red light at LINCOLN AVE and COLLINS AVE in Miami Beach with the car idling (probably at about 110 db:

Cop walks over to my car:

COP: "You got to do something about that exhaust!!"
ME: "What's wrong with it? "
COP: It's too loud!!"
ME: "How loud may it be?"
COP: "I don't know but it's too loud!"

Only got a oral warning, nothing on paper..

Other than that, I only had the cops called on my once when I fired my car up in the afternoon to set the timing. Cop came and I told him that I was just working on my car and he told the neighbors that there's nothing that he can do as long as I don't do it during noise ordinance hours..

Gotta love living in Florida!!
Old 06-25-2008, 12:59 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

Originally Posted by yellow 72
There's a difference between a great sounding exhaust and flat obnoxious....which imo is what open headers on the street is.
It really isn't that bad.. I usually drove close to IDLE RPM in residential areas and only opened it up on the highway.. With the overdrive (had a .68 overdrive in the TKO that I used to have in the car) the noise level at cruising speed wasn't bad at all.. Neither was it bad at idle.. Just when stepping on it, it felt like a atomic bomb just exploded..
Old 06-25-2008, 01:00 PM
yellow 72
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '09

Yep, it's just a straight 2 1/2" perforated tube end to end
Old 01-20-2009, 02:01 AM
DEVINSVETTE
2nd Gear

Default Do not use hooker side pipe mufflers

I have a(used) set of Hooker Side mounts on my 69 that are the quietest I've ever heard....Not what I was looking for with a BigBlock and 4"sidepipes . So, What is the meanest sounding insert for these pipes. Any of you using the STS spirals? Are they worth the extra$? Thanks,
the testing is in I calculated about a 100 h-p loss using the muffler inserts that a friend had for the fun of it from hooker, compared to the augers I had made for me. putting the car on the dyno proved it. the bet was one it was rite at 98 h-p loss using the hooker mufler inserts. these inserts keep in mind also limited engine rpm figure that what a plug those mufflers are this story came up again from about 32 years ago when a friend was building a motor for a 69 vette that was owned by a customer, the motor was dynoed at 650 h-p but when it was installed we said no way something is wrong even as excited as the customer was he took the vette home but soon returned and said you got to kidding me there is no way this is 650 h-p after checking the tune up we pulled the mufflers out, me and my friend went for a ride thats the first time my head hit the rear window, later that summer the customer returned and had us pull the motor and install a 350 he said it was just to much for him I say ***** but 650 h-p isnt nothing to laugh at , regardless my vett had a zz502 with the side pipes and had augers made for it the difference was so much as calculated and we all know how much a 100 h-p COST I cant remember the name of the muffler shop in Hayward cal but it was on A street they were cheap and the sound was perfect but you must plug the inner tube with a freeze plug to force all of the exaust threw the auger not threw the tube no welding required as for STS parts more junk dont do it......
Old 01-20-2009, 06:45 AM
bluzman2004
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just installed the Hooker Maxflo's after reading through all the posts on this forum. They sound great! A more bassy exhaust note than something like a Flowmaster or other chamber type muffler. I didn't notice any loss that I can feel in the seat of the pants. This isn't the most accurate test of course, but I'm running a 434sbc so it needs to breath. They are louder than the old Reverse flow mufflers that came with my sidepipes 15 years ago. I would recommend them.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:43 AM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by DEVINSVETTE
the testing is in I calculated about a 100 h-p loss using the muffler inserts that a friend had for the fun of it from hooker, compared to the augers I had made for me. putting the car on the dyno proved it. the bet was one it was rite at 98 h-p loss using the hooker mufler inserts. these inserts keep in mind also limited engine rpm figure that what a plug those mufflers are this story came up again from about 32 years ago when a friend was building a motor for a 69 vette that was owned by a customer, the motor was dynoed at 650 h-p but when it was installed we said no way something is wrong even as excited as the customer was he took the vette home but soon returned and said you got to kidding me there is no way this is 650 h-p after checking the tune up we pulled the mufflers out, me and my friend went for a ride thats the first time my head hit the rear window, later that summer the customer returned and had us pull the motor and install a 350 he said it was just to much for him I say ***** but 650 h-p isnt nothing to laugh at , regardless my vett had a zz502 with the side pipes and had augers made for it the difference was so much as calculated and we all know how much a 100 h-p COST I cant remember the name of the muffler shop in Hayward cal but it was on A street they were cheap and the sound was perfect but you must plug the inner tube with a freeze plug to force all of the exaust threw the auger not threw the tube no welding required as for STS parts more junk dont do it......
The Maxflo's were released a couple years ago. No HP loss vs open headers even on a 600HP big block. The older reverse flow and glasspack Hooker had until the Maxflo was released would knock your power down and I would guess 100 HP on a 5-600 HP car is probably about right. They were horrible, but not the Maxflo
Old 01-20-2009, 09:35 AM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 856 Likes on 627 Posts

I have not tested the Max Flow specifically, but I have tested a 2.5 inch straight through perforated core muffler (Loback) on my 614 horse 502, and in my educated opinion backed by observation, there is no way a 2.5 inch muffler will not pose a restriction on a similar motor. Even a 3 inch dynomax bullet showed a restriction. The STS baffles uncapped and cut did as well, but showed less than the others. Someone once calculated the open area of the baffles, and I can't remember the number, but it was way more than 3 inches. I will not get into the opinion of sound, although the STS baffles sound great on mine, but if you want horsepower, they are the best way to go from my experience watching both engine and chassis dyno tests.

Oh and in one of the tests, I saw the reverse flows and glasspacks from Hooker lose 90+ horsepower at the tires on my 502 when it was only a 350 rwhp motor.

And to the poster calling the STS baffles junk, get a clue. Tell us all why they are junk. They may not be cheap, and everyone may not like the sound on their motor, but they do what he says they do.

Last edited by 69ttop502; 01-20-2009 at 09:38 AM.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:47 AM
Frank_833
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 69ttop502
And to the poster calling the STS baffles junk, get a clue. Tell us all why they are junk. They may not be cheap, and everyone may not like the sound on their motor, but they do what he says they do.
Have them ...and...
Old 01-20-2009, 12:26 PM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Our search function is horrible on this forum. I read a thread last fall in C3 tech and Performance. They did dyno testing @ Carlisle. The strongest motor tested did back to back tests with open hooker sidepipes vs sidepipes with max flows. The difference was a couple peak HP on a 600 HP big block with better low and midrange with the max flows. If anybody can find this thread please link.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:41 PM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 63mako
Our search function is horrible on this forum. I read a thread last fall in C3 tech and Performance. They did dyno testing @ Carlisle. The strongest motor tested did back to back tests with open hooker sidepipes vs sidepipes with max flows. The difference was a couple peak HP on a 600 HP big block with better low and midrange with the max flows. If anybody can find this thread please link.
I remember the forum member with the 565 in a 71, I think it was ZL1 POWER or something like that found the same. I certainly am not arguing those results, I just did not see the same.

I am also still waiting to hear why the baffles are junk. Substantiate that statement Devinsvette. Hopefully if you do you will find the shift key on your keyboard, and maybe use a comma or two. Spellcheck is also your friend.

Last edited by 69ttop502; 01-20-2009 at 02:41 PM.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:13 PM
yellow 72
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by 69ttop502
I am also still waiting to hear why the baffles are junk. Substantiate that statement Deminsvette.
I'm with 'ya.
Better yet lets organize a search party to hunt down and punish this disbeliever who dare utter such blasphemy!

Get notified of new replies

To MEANEST sounding (muffler)insert for hooker sidepipes?

Old 01-20-2009, 01:43 PM
0Road-Race Vette
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yellow 72
I've tried most everything out there and in my opinion, Hookers new MaxFlo 2 1/2" sound the best.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:51 PM
Jay-Dog
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone know the price and source for Hooker Max-Flo's? How about prices on other varieties?
Old 01-20-2009, 02:13 PM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

I was waiting for you to rejoin the thread my old pal Yellow72. I don't think even you would make such a remark about a product in such a manner. Maybe I am wrong:

The nice thing about the Max Flows is, according to the Holley website, they produce 23 percent more horsepower than open pipe. Wow, I guess it is only just a matter of time before every drag race machine and race car will be running Max flows. I certainly think the max flows sound great as well. Hell, I thought the glasspacks sounded great too. But 23 percent more average power than open pipe. C'mon, and I do know the difference between average and peak.

Last edited by 69ttop502; 01-20-2009 at 02:49 PM.

Quick Reply: MEANEST sounding (muffler)insert for hooker sidepipes?