gotta let it go....

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 12:11 AM
onaqwst
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Default gotta let it go....

well,

i'm in a situation and will be putting the vette on ebay probably this weekend once i get some gas money to go to the parents house to take pics....

i have been struggling for the past 4 years and i've had enough.... i'm selling the vette...pay off some loans.... and moving out of the detroit area............

as much as i like my 77, i really have no need for it any more... i cant afford insurance or gas, i cant drive it, i lost all interests in it..... and i'm just tired of life...

i bought the 77 and rebuilt it the way i wanted to.... got some heat from the forum in the beginning...but moved on..... i would like to redo the interior back a stock look if i was to keep it....but i'm just burned out and stressed.....

i'm 32 right now and have no sort of career.... i went on my own after college when i was 23 and have been riding the money wave ever since. i didnt think i would be broke, living in a friends basement, and still in debt at my age..... was hoping to get my masters degree and teach but that didnt happen either. would be nice to have a lady friend and maybe move on and settle down....but right now, i cant even afford to eat and pay bills...... it really sucks

not really sure of the vette will sell considering that its a custom ride.... but it was appraised at $22,000.... figure if i could get close to 18 i would be fine..........

right now just going through alot of personal/family shyt and cant really handle it anymore..... i'm burned out from thinking about how i'm gonna eat next week.

all i ever wanted to do is stay creative and make ideas happen...thats all i've been doing..... but i guess it really boils down to that 9-5 job and doing the typical "honey i'm home" routine...... i dont even know what a 9-5 is..... but i guess i'm gonna have to give up my passions and do it.....

i was hoping my tshirt line would take off....but i had to make some changes and not sure if it was a good thing.... but then again, i might just drop everything i got and move on...... become a mail man or something in a non-creative field so i dont have to get so attached to my work.... i dont know....

if the 77 sells then it'll sells...... but i'm over it right now...... just tired of everything around me......

b
Old 06-10-2008, 12:56 AM
Steven_Belgium
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

hope you get good offer for it...
sorry you have to sell it.....it's a real nice car !!
anyway...keep yr spirits up
greets
Steven
Old 06-10-2008, 01:00 AM
Double_0_7
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good luck with everything. been there...i have never seen interior pics of the car. what have you done to it? you're thinking of going back stock with the interior if things work out so you have to keep it?
Old 06-10-2008, 01:07 AM
Jon Hekking
Race Director

Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C3 of Year Finalist (stock)

Hey, sorry for the way you're feeling. You need to keep your sights high, if selling your vette now makes sense and taking the 9-5 route is what you need to do, then do it. Just remember, it doesn't have to be forever, just give yourself some time to regroup and go at it again. You sound like you have some real passion for the important things in your life, if they need to wait a while until you get yourself in a better position, that's not the end of the world, nor should it be the end of your dreams.

Hang in there................
Old 06-10-2008, 01:19 AM
69 Convertible
Burning Brakes

Onaqwst, Sorry to hear that things are not going as plan for you. Sometime things can all come at once and overwhelm you. The vette, as it is nice to have , but it's only a secondary thing. The first thing is survival. If owning it can't help you, and selling can, then sell it. Maybe a change in scenery might be the best medicine. I think the biggest thing is to be happy with yourself. That sounds easy to say. We don't know what life has instored for us, but you have to try and keep your head up and not let life kick you down. It's hard. As for the 9 to 5 job, if that's what it takes, do it. But Never give up on your passion. It may not be the right time for you.
Always follow your dreams. The road might not be as straight as you would like it to be. My daughter is working at Disney World. The pay is just minimum wage. The money she makes is enough to pay the rent and buy food. But she LOVES that place. She's chasing her dreams and I can't say don't do it. How long can she last out there and will she make it, only time will tell. She trying. All her friends and family are back at home and we all miss her. But she's doing it.Trying to make things happen.There's tough choices that we have to make. Some might be wrong and some right. We can hope that we've made the right choices and learn from the mistakes. Family is suppose to give you strength, but sometimes it can sucks the life out of you and you just have to get away. Were all not perfect and it's not a perfect world. Just got to do the best we can. I hope this babbling of mine helps you and not hurt you. Take care and strong. You'll make it! Tony
Old 06-10-2008, 01:40 AM
Vette80regon
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, you and I spoke w/ eachother a couple of years ago inregards to the insurance stuff I'd sent to you.

Chin up. Please.

A job is just a job is just a job... You're going to happy at whatever you let yourself be happy about. It's not cars or "things" at all.

Don't totally rule out a 9 to 5 job at all. As an employer and business owner let me offer this: "Good People, Good Anywhere."

I have my degree in Fine Art (go ahead & laugh) but now I am in the finance sector. Absolutely NOTHING to do with my back ground & education. BUT... The willingness & simple desire to succeed is all you need (sometimes, that's all we have).

I too was like you, I was living on friends couches, eating their food, I pumped gas & worked at a carwash. For real.

Remember: "Good People, Good Anywhere."
I have seen your art/shirts and know of the unique approach you put into your Vette. Like I said: "Good People, Good Anywhere."

Get your chin back up brothah!!
Old 06-10-2008, 07:57 AM
babylonvette
Burning Brakes

if you can build a car for yourself why not solicitate some of the neighbors and get some auto repair work its a dirty job but someone has to do it ,i find myself overemployed as i work 75/100 hrs a week hate to turn down a job because you never knowi have met ceo.s of large companys ,actors ,pro baseball players even some fancy musicans along the way,they all need cars
Old 06-10-2008, 10:08 AM
wildchris
Instructor

Times are tough everywhere just hang in there and never give up, obviously you have some tallent just look what you have done. If you have to sell the car f--k it, its only a car. Hope you figure it all out, keep your head up! You can do it! Good luck!
Old 06-10-2008, 12:43 PM
pbcanney
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default tshirts and model making

I "don't get" the E i thing on the shirts

your modle making skills are incredible! There's gotta be a desk for that you can sit at.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:46 PM
onaqwst
Le Mans Master

thanks for the "high spirits" people........

hopefully things will turn around soon.... just been on the bottom for too long..... but they say you have to be low in order to get up......

on a good note, my tshirts were featured on a t-shirt blog....just found out a few minutes ago.... so that cool.... that raised my spirits up a bit for today.... iloveyourtshirt.com not sure if i can post that or not...but....

glad to see i have some good friends on this board........ it's not like i can easily talk to my brother about my frustrations.....since he really doesnt see my visions...... nor my parents..... grrrr......

i'm gonna take a break from the internets for a few days and sort of rethink a few things..... need a clear head........

thanks for the support.....just a little frustrated

b
Old 06-10-2008, 12:53 PM
Kerry67
Instructor

I know exactally how you feel. I got my VETTE and as much as I like it and as much fun as it is to drive, it is a money sucker. Put close to 3 grand in it and I have only had it 4 months. It drives great and it looks good but damn......it never stops.

Gas is outrageous so I bought a little beater last Thursday and yesterday the water pump goes out. There goes another few hundred dollars.

I am THISCLOSE to selling the Vette, the beater car and paying off my truck with the money and then trading it in on a Honda or Toyota. Something with great mileage, a warrenty for a change and have a reliable car for a change.

SICK of it all
Old 06-10-2008, 12:58 PM
Darrel1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use the 9 to 5 to fund your passion on the side- then gradually transition out of the 9 to 5 and in to your passion full time

Darrel1
Old 06-10-2008, 01:14 PM
onaqwst
Le Mans Master

only thing...cant find a 9-5......

architecture offices dont have any respect for the way i gained my "experience"...i.e. in the field/building/exhibit engineering/etc.....

sort of a let down after you spend 5 years in college and 8 years building that they dont even give you the time of day....

take care

b
Old 06-10-2008, 01:20 PM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to hear about your bad time. I know what it's like. I'm a Creative Director in children's publishing and after 911, the economy tanked and publishing was hit hard. I was laid-off 3 times in a 4 year period. I have a wife and 2 kids. It really sucked. The summer of 04 was so bad I was painting houses with a neighbor because all the publishing houses were not farming any work out to freelancers and unemployment barely paid for sh@t!
You're single and college educated and that opens up the door for you to make a complete change for yourself. Take advantage of this.
With your talents I would for sure check out some custom body shops, and keep at it with the t-shirts. 9 to 5 is ok. You'll get your feet on the ground somewhere. Just don't give up.
Best of luck to you.
Glenn

Edit; I just read your response. Have you tried any retail stores, museums, or zoo's for display building? A friend of mine has done some of that and made some good cash. Just a thought.

Last edited by GD70; 06-10-2008 at 01:23 PM.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:33 PM
LoneStar26047
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Darrel1
Use the 9 to 5 to fund your passion on the side- then gradually transition out of the 9 to 5 and in to your passion full time

Darrel1
Great advice! 9 to 5 can be a grind but it will pay the bills and that sure can make life a lot sweeter. Money stress can suck the life out of you to the point you have no energy for passion.

I know a lot of people who do a great job at the 9 to 5 thing and become suprised at what a sense of accomplishment they achieve even if they never imagined this as their future. I also know people who hit the ground running at 5pm to explore their passion. Some passions never pay. Some pay and the business aspects end up sucking the life out of their passion. Once the bills are getting paid, in the end, it is attitude that determines how far you go and how happy you will be. Best of luck!
Old 06-10-2008, 02:15 PM
candacedianne
Burning Brakes

Don't get down! Life is too short. Stick with what you love, don't completely ditch it. Work a "9-5" job full-time and in your spare time work on what you LOVE!! Don't let making money be your driving force or you'll find yourself extremely unhappy and lonely in life! Just my .02! Good luck!!
Old 06-10-2008, 02:20 PM
SuprJames
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My job is a means to support my passion. If it ever turned into a career then that would be great. Who knows man, but moving out of Detroit would probably be a good thing for you from the sound of things. Houses are cheap here in South Florida right now!

Get notified of new replies

To gotta let it go....

Old 06-10-2008, 10:52 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

Sometimes ya' gotta do what ya' gotta do. Now is not the best time for selling any kind of car, but you should still get a decent price for your car. Think carefully about where you want to relocate; some places have work and others don't. Hope you find a better situation....then you can buy another C3 when the 'dust' has settled. Best of luck to you.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:41 PM
Mark G
Melting Slicks

Received 457 Likes on 339 Posts

If you are looking to move, consider Madison, WI. It's a nice city, safe, not too big, similar to MI, not too far from home and the economy is great still. (plus not too far from several major Corvette shows) I don't know why, but I know about a dozen people that moved here from MI in the last 5 years. I guess the Big 3 downturn. If you're gong to move, move some place with decent employment. Lot of creativity in this town too.

Ok, here's a suggestion on getting work: Forget resume's sending and all that. Find a few places you think you might like working at for now, then call and find out who the owners or senior managers are. Then stop in and see them (don't make appt ahead of time) and tell/show them what you've got and how you can make their business better. I've done it twice and my wife did it a long time ago. I got an interview on the spot with the manager each time and got hired right away for good money. My wife demanded to see the owner of the bio-tech Co (some of the workers didn't want her to hang around) but she stayed and pretty much got hired as a scientist in a couple days. Remember, it's almost as hard for employers to find good people as it is for people to find a good employer/position. Having hired people, I can say it's not easy. Employers really like people that can take charge. Also, if you get hired, you can be in your own driver's seat and focus on your creativity, not feel so 'boxed' up.

Then, once you have some cashflow, live super-cheap for a while in a cheap place. Scrimp and $ave up as much as you can. Pay off your debts ASAP. Forget about the new cars, hanging out with buddys and all that. They don't put food on the table or money in the bank. Make a financial goal. Man, my wife and I got serious and paid off a mountain of bills years ago before our daughter was born. We vowed we'd never get into debt again and start savng. You'll be suprised how fast the dollars can accumulate. Plus, no chick want's to be with a guy that's got a mountain of debt and no hope (except maybe my wife ). Don't lose the fire ...then in a couple short yrs transition back towards your dream. Oh, the chick will come along once you get your feet on the ground. That's how it usually happens. Just my take. Hope it helps,

Mark G

Last edited by Mark G; 06-10-2008 at 11:53 PM.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:25 AM
xCCTer
CF JASOC Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Downtown Annapolis, MD. The Future is where we all have to live. Let's not screw it up.
Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

I won't try to blow a rainbow up your ****. We all know that the only way things won't get better is by doing nothing.

Sounds like you have a plan for change, and I hope it works out for you.

Hang in there.

Quick Reply: gotta let it go....