C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I recover bolts that drop down the cowl?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 09:25 PM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Default How do I recover bolts that drop down the cowl?

OK, I've tried a magnet, vacuum with a tube on the end, squeezing my hand thur the floor vent, etc. Is there a way to recover bolts that drop down in the black hole? I've dropped to wiper door bolts down there and no luck recovering either.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:32 PM
PeteZO6
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

They go through a worm hole and end up in another universe! At least it seems that way.

I took the lower side panels out and removed the speakers. I could not find those suckers. I lost two shouldered bolts and two plastic bushings. Luck for me the local Corvette shop, Corvette World in Rancho Cordova, CA had them in stock, and sold just the number I needed.

If I ever do that job again, I think I will stuff shop rags down there first so hopefully no more parts will disappear.

Cheers,
Pete
Old 06-09-2008, 10:45 PM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by PeteZO6
They go through a worm hole and end up in another universe! At least it seems that way.

I took the lower side panels out and removed the speakers. I could not find those suckers. I lost two shouldered bolts and two plastic bushings. Luck for me the local Corvette shop, Corvette World in Rancho Cordova, CA had them in stock, and sold just the number I needed.

If I ever do that job again, I think I will stuff shop rags down there first so hopefully no more parts will disappear.

Cheers,
Pete
You would have thought I would have been smart enough to know better after losing one. There has to be a way to get them out.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:10 PM
68L71
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

When I took my heater and blower out I found two wiper door bolts in there that I could not reach any other way.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:26 PM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Probably need to clean that out after summer. I just ordered another set on evel bay, so at least now I will have some extras.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:12 AM
chvet73
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That must be the place my 1/2" combo wrench went. Still haven't got it out. At least it does not rattle.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:31 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Here is tip that I learned from a steering column engineer at Saginaw. It prevents a problem with parts falling into your defroster ducts. It isn't exactly the same but certainly similar. It is particularly well suited for working on the horn, telescope lock adjust, and other minor things where you need to disassemble the upper end of the steering column but you don't need to remove it from the car.

Take a large towel and roll it up the long way. Leave a short tail. Stuff the towel up between the windshield and dash pad. Let the short tail hang over the instrument cluster forming a table. As you disassemble the steering column, place the small retainers, screws, plates, etc up on the towel from left to right in the order that you remove them. The towel forms a nice no-slip table and prevents the small parts from dropping down your defroster ducts and becoming a permanent part of your air distribution system. When you go to reassemble the column, your parts are all handy and in the correct order for reinstallation. Do this in conjunction with digital pictures!

Jim
Old 06-10-2008, 09:11 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Budman68
Is there a way to recover bolts that drop down in the black hole? I've dropped to wiper door bolts down there and no luck recovering either.
Buddy
A good magnet on the end of a coat hanger wire will work from the cowl.
The magnet can usually be pried off an old small speaker.

Adding a strip of foam can prevent the issue in the future.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:22 AM
Merlinhaggard
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Big Hole saw...
Old 06-10-2008, 09:40 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

If I remember right that area wedges down and is unreachable with your hand.Under the body is drain for that area.You should be able to find the drain by pouring in a cup of water.Then take your air hose and blow up through the drain using your magnet or magnets from the top at the same time.You should be able to snag your bolts.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:42 AM
70Yellowbird
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I had the same problem ... lost pivot bolt washers and 2 sockets. I recovered the washers by flushing them out with a water hose. I had given up on them and was really only trying to clean out the dead leaves, etc., and I found the washers under the car when I was done flushing.

I got the sockets out and an old rusted wiper door bolt (lost at the factory?) with a magnet on a length of heavy copper wire. Sometimes the lost parts get hung up partway down in that area and don't get to the bottom where they are easier to get at by removing the damper behind the kick panel. I got 1 socket out with a magnet through there.

Some year Vettes have screens covering the top of the openings in the wiper door area. I'm adding homemade ones cut out of brass screen material ... not sure yet how to fasten them into place.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:16 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I've got a 6" 3/8 drive ratchet extension in the black hole on my passenger's side. Been there for years.

Old 06-10-2008, 10:20 AM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 430 Likes on 308 Posts

Oops, you lost a bolt down the cowl, sounds like time for a frame off resto!
Old 06-10-2008, 12:12 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 549 Likes on 376 Posts

I removed my entire wiper door mechanism (1970). I was surprised how loose bolts, nuts, etc went straight for the cowl opening and disappeared. It was like some sort of a vacuum was just sucking them in. Sort of a Bermuda Triangle for lost parts. I was able to grab a couble of errant sockets that were rolling straight for the opening. I finally stuffed a wad of paper rag in each opening.

Incidentally, removing these little reduced shank bolts that hold on the wiper door, I was surprised to find that one sheared off, remaining in the door (actually it looks more like a lid, but it's called a door). I removed the remaining three, and then discovered that a fragment of another bolt had sheared off also. Now I had two sheared off bolt shanks to remove. Seems that this is a common problem. Paragon has experience removing them, so I'm sending the door there for repair. If you ever re-install these bolts, use anti-sieze. The door is pot metal
Old 06-10-2008, 05:49 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

I know someone who has a magnet tied to a string STUCK down in the 'black hole'.
Regards,
Alan
Old 06-10-2008, 10:29 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

A strong bar-type magnet on a string will get them almost every time. It needs to be on a 'string' so it can fall into the same place as the bolt(s). Next time, put a shop towel over the opening so that can't happen.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:35 PM
400hp427vette
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
A strong bar-type magnet on a string will get them almost every time. It needs to be on a 'string' so it can fall into the same place as the bolt(s). Next time, put a shop towel over the opening so that can't happen.
However use an earth magnet this will pickup the bolt even it doesnt hit the mark.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:06 AM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Great ideas. Will have to go magnet shopping the weekend and get the fishing rod out.

Get notified of new replies

To How do I recover bolts that drop down the cowl?

Quick Reply: How do I recover bolts that drop down the cowl?