C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fake documents for only $400

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 01:16 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,358 Likes on 2,786 Posts

Default Fake documents for only $400

..but he says they are for "novelty only."

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-...spagenameZWDVW

I know there's been threads on these before but... $400?

Maybe he will take a spelling class if he sells a couple.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:40 AM
rayluka
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

fluxuate Is that like flatulance

Last edited by rayluka; 05-31-2008 at 01:43 AM.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:02 AM
dodge_ss/t
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats just wrong because you know what people are goung to use thouse for.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:18 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Originally Posted by rayluka
fluxuate Is that like flatulance
That was the best one (there are others). Cracked me up.
Old 05-31-2008, 09:05 AM
bextreme1
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

Now I can have a fully documented car. Oh, so can everyone else. There are now officially 32,483 1969 427's that were originally made! I'm not sure but I think there are also 953 L88's also
Old 05-31-2008, 09:10 AM
in2fun
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

MAN, That's crazy and for $400. I know they say there are suckers every where... But I sure hope there's not that big of a sucker out there to buy that.
Old 05-31-2008, 09:39 AM
GPGG70
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's because of this sort of BS out on the market these days, is why I'm going to video record and document the removal of my fuel tank when I go after the Tank sticker, that way there will be no dought about the REAL paperwork that will be offered with my car.
Besides, I'm going to hand down the car to my grandaughter anyway so I dont have to worry about selling it.
Old 05-31-2008, 09:51 AM
JB
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

I agree it's slimy. I don't agree that the guy's stupid to think he can get $400 for that stuff, since those docs can add several thousand to a car's value. And whatever his spelling skills, those are some pretty damn authentic looking docs, and a pretty extensive set. Now, if he were just selling a POP with that set. . . .

Frankly, the silliness is the thought that the guy who just offered me $36K for my car might be willing to pay $40K if I had the stuff being sold in that auction. Right up there with the notion that a 40 year old barbie doll is worth hundreds of dollars more if the box was never opened.

Did I mention my car's for sale, no paperwork?

JB

Last edited by JB; 05-31-2008 at 10:20 AM.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:05 AM
70Yellowbird
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

And ... for an extra 75 bucks, they'll speed up the delivery from 3-4 weeks to 9-10 days ... for the actual documents that are shown in the pic!

I thought they'd be 'aging the paper', but must be they are only 'drying the ink!'
Old 05-31-2008, 11:50 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Originally Posted by JB
I agree it's slimy. I don't agree that the guy's stupid to think he can get $400 for that stuff, since those docs can add several thousand to a car's value.
Absolutely true. Slimy, yes. Stupid? Not so much.

Originally Posted by JB
And whatever his spelling skills, those are some pretty damn authentic looking docs,
Yes, but wouldn't it be hysterical if someone bought the docs and they looked closely and "Corvette" was spelled with one "t" or "close ratio" was "clothes rashioh?"

Actually, I have the occasion to deal with counterfeit docs at work, and it's interesting how beautifully faked some stuff is... and you look closely and see words spelled wrong. I have to assume it's a foreign language thing.

Way back when, the first time I ever received a "phish" scam message, I wasn't fooled because as beautiful at the web site was reproduced, it actually included spelling errors which is pretty common for kids today. Techno-geniuses and they can't spell their way out of a 6th-grade bag.

Originally Posted by JB
Right up there with the notion that a 40 year old barbie doll is worth hundreds of dollars more if the box was never opened.
I dunno, I think this is something that should have value, simply because the fact it's unopened probably indicates it's historically real, sort of the opposite of fake documents. Of course, I sell old toys like that sometimes so I might be biased.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:02 PM
milo30
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GPGG70
It's because of this sort of BS out on the market these days, is why I'm going to video record and document the removal of my fuel tank when I go after the Tank sticker, that way there will be no dought about the REAL paperwork that will be offered with my car.
Besides, I'm going to hand down the car to my grandaughter anyway so I dont have to worry about selling it.
Yeah but how will we know that you didn't drop the tank and instal the sticker then reassemble for the video of the find? Maybe we could make a video of pulling a tank sticker and sell it on ebay for $200.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:14 PM
capecorvette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey, you cant fault the guy, he does nice work and he has 100% positive feedback.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:18 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

Interestingly, the 'crime' is not in creating the documents....the crime is in passing them off as legitimate. And, even if the owner doesn't say that the documents are real, he implies it by providing them to a prospective buyer...and then becomes a felon.
Old 05-31-2008, 03:07 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Interestingly, the 'crime' is not in creating the documents....the crime is in passing them off as legitimate. And, even if the owner doesn't say that the documents are real, he implies it by providing them to a prospective buyer...and then becomes a felon.
Hmmmm... I wonder about that.

Most forgery statutes have to do with the creation of a document that is meant to deceive (wording is different everywhere). If the document maker produces an exact copy of a '69 L88 tank sticker and sells it for hundreds of dollars, it's hard for him to make the argument that it's "novelty" when it is not selling for $9.99 and doesn't say "for entertainment purposes only" on it somewhere. I think the criminal act argument can be made. This is the reason most people selling VIN tags at swap meets get chased away.

Then you take the buyer of said tank sticker, who suddenly includes it with his car sale. Implied or not, he is now selling the car for a small fortune, and it is documented that he purchased the fake sticker from the sticker maker. Both could be accused of conspiracy to commit fraud, forgery, etc., I think. Intent is always hard to prove, but I don't think it would be impossible to put a circumstantial case together.
Old 05-31-2008, 03:20 PM
chevy69
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

wow - can't wait to get mine on order
Old 05-31-2008, 03:27 PM
fotyfobravo
Drifting

Location: Lake Arrowhead - Georgia > 72 Base Coupe & 74 BB Roadster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thqat is sooo not Cooool. I sent them an email. I ask if they could make me a set for my PINTO restoration! I will post the reply if I get one.

Fred
Old 05-31-2008, 03:44 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

This a hobby. Right? We're just having FUN.
I can have MORE fun if I can have some documents, just for FUN. Why are a few pieces of paper worth $400?
Oh, he has more fun if I pay him that much.
Regards,
Alan

Get notified of new replies

To Fake documents for only $400

Old 05-31-2008, 04:45 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

The 'huckster' has already stated that he considers the re-constructed documents as "novelty" items....clearing himself of any intent to defraud.
Old 05-31-2008, 05:00 PM
milo30
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5869
Hmmmm... I wonder about that.

Most forgery statutes have to do with the creation of a document that is meant to deceive (wording is different everywhere). If the document maker produces an exact copy of a '69 L88 tank sticker and sells it for hundreds of dollars, it's hard for him to make the argument that it's "novelty" when it is not selling for $9.99 and doesn't say "for entertainment purposes only" on it somewhere. I think the criminal act argument can be made. This is the reason most people selling VIN tags at swap meets get chased away.

Then you take the buyer of said tank sticker, who suddenly includes it with his car sale. Implied or not, he is now selling the car for a small fortune, and it is documented that he purchased the fake sticker from the sticker maker. Both could be accused of conspiracy to commit fraud, forgery, etc., I think. Intent is always hard to prove, but I don't think it would be impossible to put a circumstantial case together.
The only way that anyone would ever get prosecuted for something like this is if the document was completely false as to what options are truly in the car. If you had one of these made up and it represented what the original document had stated then not many if any law enforcement agency would bother with trying to prosecute. I think that it would be hard to even sue for damages. You'd have to prove that that document represented real value in the vehicle.

The ebayer seller pretty much has himself covered. He is free to ask any price and states that it is for display only. I think being able to do this sucks but that's just how some things work I guess.
Old 05-31-2008, 05:26 PM
on1wheel01
Racer

That's trash.Might be good for car shows if you need more compensation (having a nice vette should be enough, it is for me). Now ppl are going to try to pass them off when selling cars tisk tisk

Quick Reply: Fake documents for only $400