Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discouraged... Should I call it quits?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 04:29 PM
candacedianne
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it's the car you want, keep it and wait it out. Don't settle for a car you don't "want", even if it is easier to drive. You will never be happy with a car unless you LOVE it! Good luck to you and keep doing those stretches...it might just get you back in the vetter faster!!
Old 05-27-2008, 05:49 PM
hzz
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Cortisone shot and the armband

Don't give up.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:31 PM
SuprJames
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I hate to see anyone walk away from a project this cool, BUT if you decide to let me know
Old 05-27-2008, 07:15 PM
irvan
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 51 Posts

I went through that last year and had both rotators out too. Miserable for several months, Used the bands on my arms and that helped. One day woke up and felt pretty good, now carefull to not overdue. I hope yours gets better.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:34 PM
RMS73
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 220 Posts

Hang in there. Last summer I tore or severly strained the ligaments in my lower back. For 5 months I could not work on or even get into the Corvette. Therapy, ice packs and patience paid off in January.
Roger
Old 05-27-2008, 07:51 PM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As all the rest said, give it a rest, but don't give it up. There is a lot of satisfaction in driving and showing a car that you can say you built with your own two hands (and bad elbows!). You've got skillz that many would kill for and the work you do is far beyond that of the average weekend warrior. We've all seen what you can do.

I just came in from working on my car. Last November I popped both elbows. Couldn't even pick up or open a can of soda. Toilet Paper was a new adventure (seriously! ) . I had to take some time off from working on the cars. I had surgery on the left elbow to put it back together. I got shots in the right elbow several times and I wear the Wilson Arm Braces when working now.

I thought I would never work on cars again after early April when I threw blood clots in both lungs, spent a week in the hospital, then got pneumonia and had a reaction to meds which set me back further. I'm on rat poison and several other meds each day now. Although I curtailed working on other peoples cars, there is no way I'm gonna stop working on my own!

Give it a rest, get some braces, get a shot of QuartaZone, then Get "R" Done!
Old 05-27-2008, 08:01 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

Any possibility that there is some young [healthy] fella in the neighborhood...or a relative....someone who might want to learn a lot about Corvettes and might be willing to do the 'labor' portion of the work? [under your instruction, of course] Maybe call a local high school or technical school to see if someone enrolled there has an interest in helping you out. From your thread, you still have quite a bit of work yet to do, but if you find the right person, you may be able to trade your knowledge for his muscle. {Just a thought.}
Old 05-27-2008, 08:11 PM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Any possibility that there is some young [healthy] fella in the neighborhood...or a relative....someone who might want to learn a lot about Corvettes and might be willing to do the 'labor' portion of the work? [under your instruction, of course] Maybe call a local high school or technical school to see if someone enrolled there has an interest in helping you out. From your thread, you still have quite a bit of work yet to do, but if you find the right person, you may be able to trade your knowledge for his muscle. {Just a thought.}
That, is an EXCELLENT idea!!!
Old 05-27-2008, 08:54 PM
Five-spot
Advanced

I ran an air screwdriver in an assembly plant for five years before I transferred to another job,You want to talk about blown out elbows. The fore arm bands will help a bunch, I'm partial to Motrin myself, and get yourself a couple of soft rubber *****, the cheap ons that are about the size of tennis *****, and when you're sitting watching TV, sqeeze 'em. Will hurt a bit at first, but helped me alot after a couple weeks.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:51 PM
stock76
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I had that problem too. The forearm band I finally found that helped a lot had a little air pillow built into it. Position the little pillow right over the spot that hurts on the muscle, and tighten it snug. Got mine at a drug store and it was like twenty dollars. Saw the same one two weeks later at Walmart for around half that. Worked much better (for me) than the regular bands. Just looks a little funky.

Don't give up. Do what you can, and find a good mechanic for the rest.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:17 PM
400hp427vette
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Would you take a helping hand? Maybe some of the Cf members in your area will donate some of their time to help your cause. If I lived near you I sure would. Please Don't call it quits.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:22 PM
VettePower
Melting Slicks

Maybe you should think about stopping playing tennis!!
Old 05-27-2008, 11:28 PM
doug9208
Advanced

you're in way too deep to quit now. Remember - pain is just weakness leaving the body. Rest up a while, regroup and start again later when you're feeling better. Remedies suggest are all worth a shot.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:09 AM
chvet73
Pro

Keep the car and hang in there. A week ago today I just had my 2nd back surgery in 4 years. My biggest enjoyment other than my family is fixing, repairing and building things. I'm down right now but can't wait to get back to it. I've had the issue with one elbow and knee trouble from surgery over 40 years ago plus several other ailments. But I will never give up my tools.
Hang in there, the elbow is not that bad and you will get back to it. Ain't getting old fun.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:39 AM
VetteThunder1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VettePower
Maybe you should think about stopping playing tennis!!
Hahahahaha! I knew I was missing something....

But seriously;

Thank you all for your words of encouragement. You have no idea how much this means to me. I will get some of those "funky" pillow tensor bands and see if that helps some. Going to check out that MDM stuff as well. Cortizone shots are a last resort because they can cause more damage then they help.

Are there any CF members there in the south bay that would be available to give me a hand? I really wanted to get my Vette drivable and on the road this summer.

Well in any case looks like I am taking a couple of weeks off from working on the beast anyways.

Thanks agian all! You're all great!

VT1
Andrew
Old 05-28-2008, 07:25 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

Make sure you really take the "downtime" thing seriously. When you are normally an active person, trying not to keep yourself busy is a difficult thing. Tendonitis is a real nuisance...but if you don't keep that joint INactive, it will make your situation worse. Use this 'rest' for time to think-out your detailed plan for completing the car. It will allow you to come up with a complete list of needed parts and a work sequence which will make the rest of the job go more quickly [when you can tackle it again]. If the doctor gave you exercises, do them AS PRESCRIBED and let that sucker heal. Keep the faith....and we want pictures.

P.S. If I were in So. Cal, I'd help you out for sure! Sorry, I'm in Tennessee. Any other takers?
Old 05-28-2008, 07:32 AM
SuprJames
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd love to help, but I'm on the wrong coast
Old 05-28-2008, 11:13 AM
bonehead2
Racer

Originally Posted by couperdecar
I'm in the same boat. My left arm has been buggered for 4 months now. Just saw Dr. 2 days ago and said I have tendonitis. Got to go for therapy next week. I'm kind of thinking my elbow will be buggered 'at least' the summer. I put in a rack and pinion last month - thank g#d for friends , cause I'm basically down to one good arm. I'd say put the C3 aside for now , but don't sell it. You'll regret it later - and thats for sure!

BTW - I just got hold of some 99% DMSO. Google it. A friend swears by it. I haven't tried it yet.
I knew a man in the late 70's that made twice yearly trips to Mexico ,he seemed to always smell like spaghetti sauce. My dad owned a garage back then and this fellow was always around it seemed getting this same car worked on. Found out later from Dad that on these Mexico runs the cooling system came back filled with DMSO. This man was a well to do scientist for Nasa and swore by the stuff.

Quick Reply: Discouraged... Should I call it quits?