Browse all: General How-Tos
Print Wikipost

NADA Collector Vehicle Value Guide

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 04:03 PM
LYLE
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the point of NADA prices being a guide banks use to make loans is a reason the numbers are so high. Has nothing to with what car is worth let the customer have the loan if he wants it and has good credit. The only way a bank cares what your classic car could be sold for is if they repo it. A bank customer's creidt history is more important than the value of the classic car. Banks love to make loans to people who pay their bills.

Last edited by LYLE; 05-13-2008 at 08:55 AM.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:43 AM
ss396t6
Drifting

Sounds just like my '70 convertible with the same options. That's a very nice looking '71 convertible you have.
Mine also had PB, TH400, and factory shoulder harnesses. Bought in in 2003 and it was in need of TLC and spent three plus years getting it to where it is now. It still needs a little more.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:46 AM
ss396t6
Drifting

Lyle! How goes it? I still have those nice Trico wiper blade holders you sold me at the NCRS Nationals in San Antonio. Great to hear from you.

Scott Sims
Old 05-12-2008, 08:32 AM
LYLE
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ss396t6
Lyle! How goes it? I still have those nice Trico wiper blade holders you sold me at the NCRS Nationals in San Antonio. Great to hear from you.

Scott Sims
I'm still selling a few parts and have a 73 and 75 vert for sale now.
I have new interior and may paint the 75.
Lyle
Old 05-12-2008, 05:53 PM
a560156
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dhauser
Unfortunately, NADA Guides is highly inaccurate in my experience, and I'm in the business. Their values are nowhere near what I see buying and selling for in the real world marketplace.

I find them all to be behind the curve by several months, but CPI tends to be less so than most. And forget Old Car Trader. That thing isn't worth the match to burn it to ashes. Totally worthless.

NADA is a "guide" in name only. Agree on CPI as I am a subscriber.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:03 PM
TMU
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '15, '17

It does not take that long to get a pretty good idea of the market. I think the hard part is determining if a car is actually what the seller has represented it to be.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:54 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,321 Likes on 2,770 Posts

Originally Posted by dhauser
Unfortunately, NADA Guides is highly inaccurate in my experience, and I'm in the business. Their values are nowhere near what I see buying and selling for in the real world marketplace.

I find them all to be behind the curve by several months, but CPI tends to be less so than most. And forget Old Car Trader. That thing isn't worth the match to burn it to ashes. Totally worthless.
All very true.

Originally Posted by ss396t6
I read two counterpoints but no solutionss or references to guide potential buyers/sellers in the "right" direction. Being 'in the business' what are the altermatives? Craigslist, eBay, Corvette Forum?
NADA is merely just what it says it is, a guide. Barrett-Jackson is certainly not the bechmark by which values are to be established. Nor are car dealers with inflated prices and less than honest descriptions.
Craigslist, ebay, Corvette Forum? No, no and no.

NADA may be the worst source out there. We know you were trying to help, but you will get nothing but negative feedback offering NADA as a guide, a source or anything but what it's intended for, which is bird cage liner.

NADA does come in handy for the clueless make-believe "appraisors" who write up ridiculous "estimates" for owners to make them feel good about their cars and also try to fool their insurance companies. Even works sometimes.

Nobody in their right mind considers B/J a benchmark, either.

CPI is a decent start, but the best way to determine actual price value is to get involved in the market and get a feel for cars that actually sell, as well as apply time-tested principles of valuation such as plusses for correctness and subtractions for modifications and poor condition. It's not hard if you pay attention, especially if you zero in on a specific model range.

Last edited by vettebuyer6369; 05-13-2008 at 02:01 AM.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:25 AM
wildchris
Instructor

Default It is a GUIDE not law!

Sounds like something you would tell someone if you were trying to buy there car for way less than value then turnaround and sell it for a large profit. NADA is somewhere in the middle between buying a car in the middle of nowhere and some crook classic car dealer. All cars are different you can not put the same price tag on two 40 year old cars.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:08 PM
thomas kernan
1st Gear

Default Corvette value

I am planning to buy a 1971 454 conv, I have checked the Gold Book value but have a question, how much will a non matching number engine have on the vlaue of the car alll other factors being equal.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:15 AM
Derrick Reynolds
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15, '17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

First of all, you guys saying that NADA is "worthless", just aren't thinking straight. I use NADA to show my wife what my car is "worth", so that she can think we got a great deal. Feel free to do the same

Secondly, NADA does seem to be adjusting their prices for the economy. I have put my car in there a few times and got a middle value of $100K. But I just did it again and it came back $81K, so I think they are either realizing they are way out of line and adjusting, or at least accepting economic realities.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:42 AM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 258 Likes on 206 Posts

There are those that state that matching numbers will get you 20% more... but what is the definition of matching numbers? Engine block? Heads? entire drivetrain? been restamped? bellhousing bolts correct? do you really want a 40 year old engine? all sorts of differences.. you can get a ball park figure on Ebay and this forum, although most negotiating will occur without actually seeing the car. both will be low for those that will wait for the right buyer to come along.. dealers with their markup continue to get their prices and stay in business.. although some don't

also... many, if not most, buyers and sellers will not say what the final price of a sale is and that keeps the guides guessing.. or they may outright lie in any survey. Asking prices and selling prices may be vastly different...

if a car sits and never sells.. the asking price is too high.. if a car has buyers waiting in line, then it is priced too low...

it is always best ( if you are not in a hurry ) to set a high price and see what kind of reaction you get...
Old 07-27-2009, 11:01 AM
early shark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by thomas kernan
I am planning to buy a 1971 454 conv, I have checked the Gold Book value but have a question, how much will a non matching number engine have on the vlaue of the car alll other factors being equal.
Thomas,

The NOM (non original motor) factor greatly de-values those Corvettes that were optioned with rare drivetrains. Corvettes with SHP (special hi-performance) engines such as ZL-1, L-88, LS-6 are greatly affected, by as much as 50% value in such cases. On the more common HP (high performance) engines the NOM factor is less critical and the monetary adjustments made are probably in the 20% range or less.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:26 PM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by TMU
It does not take that long to get a pretty good idea of the market. I think the hard part is determining if a car is actually what the seller has represented it to be.

I've heard it said there are twice as many 435 mid years than the factory ever built. I'm sure the early C3s are headed in the same direction. If one is so inclined to play in the higher value market, documentation and owner history certainly become more important than pretty paint and that Al Knoch interior.

I looked 18 months for my car and travelled from Florida to Oregon to buy it. Originality and full documentation were more important to me than condition. After beginning the restoration, I am more certain than ever as to the car's originality and slightly more disappointed in the condition. However, according to NADA, the value has gone up 98% in the past five years. If I paid too much for it, then I'll just use the excuse that I bought it too early (common in antique circles.)

No seller is going to tell you what is wrong with the car, that is for the buyer to figure out. We all know how much it costs to repair and restore these vettes...the purchase price can easily be surpassed. That is why it is so hard to put a value on any particular car. NADA is just as good as any, in my opinion.

Quick Reply: NADA Collector Vehicle Value Guide