Sponsored by:

Lift Comparisons

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 12:49 PM
LSH77VETTE
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Lift Comparisons

I am going to be purchasing a car lift and have been looking at a couple of different brands (Direct Lift and Backyard Buddy). Is one better than the other? Which one would you guys suggest? I have heard some good things about the Pro Park 8 from Direct Lift and it is about half the price of the Backyard Buddy. Any other preferred brands ????Any help or suggestions would be great.

thanks
Old 04-30-2008, 02:35 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Man you've opened a can of worms here. You'll get all kinds of guys argiung this topic.

I have a Pro-Park 7 and love it. I use it nearly every day.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:44 PM
MorpheusGPR
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Backyard Buddy here...I went with the closed post design. I would recomend it, I would say you need at least 3 total people better with 4 to do the assembly.
Old 04-30-2008, 03:58 PM
Jims79
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did a lot of research and talked to a lot of people. Back yard buddy is a very good lift comes in different colors however for the money the direct lift which comes in basic black is just as nice & you can put the $$$ you saved into your vette. I guess it depends on your cash flow. I have the direct lift and I'm happy w/it.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:41 PM
tigers123
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends if your storing the car or working on it. I bought a two post from all american lifts in Newton Kansas and I am very satified with it.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:42 AM
66L36Coupe
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

4-Post from All American in Kansas - I love it. Made in America by Americans.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:10 PM
LSH77VETTE
Racer

Thanks guys for all the lift into.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:50 PM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 151 Posts

So, I'm seeing some of these four post lifts around $2,000 and some at $3,500. Wattsa diff? I'm looking at lifting height as a key feature. Is there anything else I should be considering? My intended use is for storage of two cars. A 69 Mustang on top and a 69 Corvette below.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:00 PM
tigers123
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default re price difference

could be your life. I don't car who makes the lift, find out as much as you can about it. There are some cheap unsafe lifts on the market. Make sure you get a quality one. Remember at some point you will be standing under the lift.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:05 PM
OldToys
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

This lift has worked well for me, mainly storage. And I paid less than $2,000.00

Old 05-01-2008, 05:28 PM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by tigers123
could be your life. I don't car who makes the lift, find out as much as you can about it. There are some cheap unsafe lifts on the market. Make sure you get a quality one. Remember at some point you will be standing under the lift.
Well, I'm turning 63 tomorrow, so my life is already pretty heavily discounted. I do appreciate your point, however. Being under a 3,000 lb car when it decides to return to earth could be very unhealthy and if it happened when my 69 BB Vette was underneath, I'd probably kill myself anyway.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:38 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 774 Likes on 555 Posts

My only experience is with my Backyard Buddy lift. I've had it for about ten years, still working fine. Two people can assemble the lift. Works great for me.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:23 PM
Goobzilla
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love my Direct Lift Pro-Park 7:

I have a 10ft. ceiling and it's a great fit.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:43 PM
Steve COSD
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What I considered the most was safety. The locking mechanism is whats most important. The backyard buddy is a great lift but I had an issue with the hydraulic ram leaking while under warranty and they would not fix it. In fact they threatened to sue me saying that I was defaming their company. I believe I should let people know the good and the bad about products. I am beginning to think that this may be the standard when it comes to the ram assembly. All american Lift has the same kind of locking design as the backyard buddy. I would call All American lift and ask them about their warranty on the lift and the ram and who they have in your area that does warranty work. This weekend I took apart the ram to see why it was leaking. It turns out that the main seal had not been installed properly. The ironic part is backyard buddy uses the picture of my cars in their ad.
Good luck with your decision.
Steve
Old 05-01-2008, 11:23 PM
400hp427vette
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Goobzilla
Love my Direct Lift Pro-Park 7:

I have a 10ft. ceiling and it's a great fit.
Please my friend switch the two cars Should the lift fail save the vette
Old 05-01-2008, 11:39 PM
MN80Vette
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by MorpheusGPR
Backyard Buddy here...I went with the closed post design. I would recomend it, I would say you need at least 3 total people better with 4 to do the assembly.
I like my 7' Backyard Buddy a lot. The quality and design of the lift is excellent, but you will find plenty of complaints about the guys working there and how they bad mouth their competitors instead of promoting their product features, etc. Their customer relations and customer service really suck but their product is pretty good for the price.

If customer relations isn't a priority for you, then the Backyard Buddy closed post design lifts and accessories are a good choice. For me, I just want the lift to work well for a long time so I don't need to call Customer Service.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:20 AM
Steve COSD
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also I forgot to say to ask about delivery. Many of them will deliver to a central warehouse or trucking company and then it's yours from there on. I had a real circus going on with mine. I had to physically help the guy that delivered mine who was an elderly gentleman. This will usually add to your costs.
Steve
Old 05-02-2008, 04:29 PM
LSH77VETTE
Racer

Hi Fellas,

I decided to go with the Direct Lift Pro Park 8S and ordered it through Greg Smith Equipment Sales. They indicated that it will be shipping out next Monday and heading in my direction. I am having it shipped to a family members business who has a fork truck to unload, so I hope I will be able to avoid some of the shipping nightmares. From a customer service standpoint, everything I have read about Greg Smith Equipment is all positive. They have been very helpful thus far and I have talked with them on several occasions trying to make my purchase decision. Of course the real test will be after the sale, but everyone seems to give them high marks. Hopefully I won't have to find out and won't have any issues with the lift. Can't wait to get it installed. Should make life much easier on oil changes etc., plus I will be able to let my wife have her garage spot back...........I have caught a lot of grief over the past 4 months from her becuase I have our two bay garage packed in wall to wall Vettes...........I just don't see the problem with that. Do you guys? That's the way a garage is supposed to look right? LOL

Get notified of new replies

To Lift Comparisons

Quick Reply: Lift Comparisons