C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[PICS] Luggage rack back on, what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 08:35 AM
Don Rickles
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 134 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C3 of Year

Originally Posted by foxymophandlpapa
What is on the center bars?
It looks like fake wooden contact paper, doing this was very popular back in the day. My 71 had the contact paper on it at one time, it's in a few older photo's I have

Your car looks great either way! Black and chrome, nice! WB
Old 04-24-2008, 09:41 AM
rosslato
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

absolutely loathe the rack!
Old 04-24-2008, 10:13 AM
1ARACE
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is on the center bars?
Originally Posted by War Bonnet
It looks like fake wooden contact paper, doing this was very popular back in the day. My 71 had the contact paper on it at one time, it's in a few older photo's I have

Your car looks great either way! Black and chrome, nice! WB
That's what it is, like a hard wood grained wrap.

Thanks for all the responses thus far. If I pull the rack off I can paint the heads of the screws black and leave the well nuts in place so it won't be 'as' noticeable.

The Corvette show, at Bud's Chevrolet in St. Mary's, OH, is May 10th, and it's a pretty big vette get together and it will be the first time taking the vette to it, so i'm trying to make some 'appearance' decisions.

You will laugh, but I am also considering putting the chrome trailer hitch back on for the show.
As a conversation piece mainly, but also to see what reactions it will get, like... , , and .
But I'll have a copy of the order invoice showing it was ordered, dealer installed, and delivered that way in Feb. '69, just in case some think i'm full of .

To be honest I did not think just adding the rack would change the appearance so dam much, but it's left me a bit confused now.

Originally Posted by str8upchevy
I think you have a gorgeous Vette,.. .....BUT,....the only thing I think is uglier than a C4 Vette, is a luggage rack sitting on the back of an American "Sports Car"!!!

I've never in my life seen any suit cases sitting on the luggage racks of a C3, so why even have them? But then again, I'm an anti-purist, so anything that makes a car look more stock is something I'm definitely NOT going to like.

None the less, you have a very nice looking Vette!
Originally Posted by Muddywaters
I like em both ways. Mine came with a rack, but removed it durring the restore. This way, it gave me the option to always put it back on. After 12K miles...it's still hanging in the garage Some how... I just prefer that nice clean simple look. Simple is very powerfull!!! Muddy
Originally Posted by Durango_boy
I always remove the rack too. I don't like the way it looks and I have never used one nor seen anyone else practically use one. You put ANYTHING on those racks and you lose all visibility out of the rear view mirror and let's face it, the side mirrors don't exactly show you much of anything but your rear fender.
Originally Posted by m8rixguy
Personally I think your vette looks great either way. I will say that it looks a little less mean with the luggage rack. Before it looks like a bad a$$, after looks like a bad a$$ with braces.
Originally Posted by RAGGDOLL
I have a white 73 with the rack and love it, but your gorgeous 69 with the side pipes, ralley rims, chrome bumpers....looks great without the rack.

Takes too much from the eye with them on. Sorry, still nice, but like it better rackless
Originally Posted by Vmo
I like the rack look. I had one put on my car as it just didn't look finished without it. The rear deck looks really long without a rack.
Vmo
These are all good points and I hadn't really thought about the different aspects of it. I guess it's hard to judge your own...but that's why i'm glad I can ask other vette owners here what their opinion and perspective is.

Thanks again for the feedback
Old 04-24-2008, 10:17 AM
column5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beautiful car. I like it better without the rack but I'd probably leave it in place since the holes are already there.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:52 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

Is there any possibility of having your rack re-finished in black-chrome? I've never seen a C3 luggage rack done that way, but it might be really unique and look good on your black car (assuming you want to retain the rack).
Old 04-24-2008, 12:22 PM
Vanishment
3rd Gear

Hey, more chrome is always good!

Me, I like the pipes better!
Old 04-24-2008, 12:41 PM
m8rixguy
Instructor

Nice call 7T1vette. After looking at the pics a few more times I think its the wood wrap that kinda looks funny. Wonder what it would look like painted black instead? Just a beautiful vette though!
Old 04-24-2008, 12:47 PM
drpokey7
Instructor

Sack the rack, from the lines it does distract!!
Old 04-24-2008, 12:47 PM
olouieo
Drifting

I like it better with out, but since you have it on just leave it, I would just get rid of those wood wraps. JMO
Old 04-24-2008, 12:52 PM
Kerry67
Instructor

Beautiful car.........however, no rack for me.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:06 PM
wartosh
Advanced

RACK
Old 04-24-2008, 01:29 PM
rayluka
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the racks look alot better on verts, but if you got the t-top clamps, I think its pretty sweet to have your tops hanging off your rack.
Not to hijack...but where can you get the clamps?
Old 04-24-2008, 02:18 PM
harrin
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I went through the same thoughts about mine, finally decided to go with the rack, I like the look of chrome against the darker colour

Last edited by harrin; 04-24-2008 at 02:27 PM.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:08 PM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 151 Posts

Don't misunderstand, I have my 69 Coupe in paint right now and the rack is going back on the car. I also think that the chrome compliments the black car. However, the combination of the rack and the side pipes is a little overwhelming visually. Too much going on. You need to lose one or the other and, of course, if it were me I'd lose the rack. Definitely do not put the chrome trailer hitch back on the car. Save that for your pickemup truck.

Last edited by RagTop69; 04-24-2008 at 03:10 PM.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:41 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

I put a luggage rack on my 71 a couple of months after I bought it. Only used it twice. Always wished it was gone.
It's gone now and I really prefer the car this way. It's a good bit of work to fill the holes and be sure they won't come back in the hot sun.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:35 PM
cm-smith
Intermediate

Looked better with it off, in my opinion. However, if you're not planning to fill the holes, leave it on. 6 black bumps disturbing the clean back would look worse. Put that hitch on there too.

I've got the same thing to consider. My car needs paint and has a rack. I'm a little worried about filling the holes properly. Not looking forward to dropping the gas tank to get underneath to properly patch. But my rack has rust. Either I fill the holes or get a new rack. After seeing your car, black and no rack sure looks good. Unfortunately I have no chrome bumpers.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:59 PM
1ARACE
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Is there any possibility of having your rack re-finished in black-chrome? I've never seen a C3 luggage rack done that way, but it might be really unique and look good on your black car (assuming you want to retain the rack).
That is a very interesting idea...that just may look really sharp...thanks for the idea.

Originally Posted by m8rixguy
Nice call 7T1vette. After looking at the pics a few more times I think its the wood wrap that kinda looks funny. Wonder what it would look like painted black instead? Just a beautiful vette though!
Funny you mention that, I was actually considering taking it apart and having it rechromed and finding some sort of black wrap, like vinyl or leather, in place of the wood grain look...I think that just may look dam good as well.

Originally Posted by harrin
I went through the same thoughts about mine, finally decided to go with the rack, I like the look of chrome against the darker colour

Beautiful vette, love that blue and the chrome sets it off just right!

Originally Posted by cm-smith
Looked better with it off, in my opinion. However, if you're not planning to fill the holes, leave it on. 6 black bumps disturbing the clean back would look worse. Put that hitch on there too.

I've got the same thing to consider. My car needs paint and has a rack. I'm a little worried about filling the holes properly. Not looking forward to dropping the gas tank to get underneath to properly patch. But my rack has rust. Either I fill the holes or get a new rack. After seeing your car, black and no rack sure looks good. Unfortunately I have no chrome bumpers.
Only plus I have is it's only 4 holes to mount, it's black, and the well nuts are black, so it's not 'as' obvious from a distance.

I considered glassing the holes over during the restoration, but the thing is...they eventually come back, no matter what. After years and heat/cold the fiberglass/paint expands/shrinks and eventually you see 'ghost holes' where they were.

Get notified of new replies

To [PICS] Luggage rack back on, what do you think?

Old 04-24-2008, 06:50 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

Nice rack, nice body, what could be better?
Old 04-24-2008, 11:25 PM
vetteguy75
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
LA Events Coordinator

I like the rack.....it seems to put the finishing touch...
Old 04-25-2008, 02:51 AM
RunningMan373
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Durango_boy
I always remove the rack too. I don't like the way it looks and I have never used one nor seen anyone else practically use one. You put ANYTHING on those racks and you lose all visibility out of the rear view mirror and let's face it, the side mirrors don't exactly show you much of anything but your rear fender.
If you remove the rack, what do you use to cover the holes?

Quick Reply: [PICS] Luggage rack back on, what do you think?