C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you let a Vette turn into a POS ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 11:21 PM
Kerry67
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you let a Vette turn into a POS ??

Hey everyone,

For my first post (other than my intro on the intro page), I am going to ask a ? that has been going through my mind. Today, I was at a stop light when an older Corvette pulled up by me and I was thinking about mine, anyway, the Corvette by me was beat. REALLY beat, and I wondered, since Vettes are pretty desireable and not the cheapest car around, how can someone let them turn in to a piece of junk. At one time someone had to have cared about the car and was proud when they first got it, but how can anyone let that happen ??? Makes me wonder....

Cheers !!
Old 03-07-2008, 11:26 PM
michael c. volpe
Pro

maybe just to be able to say......'hey baby.....i own a vette'

or maybe they just can't afford to keep it up.
it is a shame though.

but i vote status symbol.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:49 PM
myoriginal77
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Someone over extends themselves buying one, either repairs or whatever. Then the neglect starts then its starts all over when they sell to the next over-extender .....

Frank
Old 03-08-2008, 12:03 AM
DvBoard
Instructor

They drive it to the ground and don't baby it? It's what i plan on doing when i find mine. No beauty queen plans here!
Old 03-08-2008, 12:22 AM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A perfect example (although a C2 not a C3 but the principle applies). I picked up this 63 Convertible on Saturday. It had been sitting outside and with no cover for most of the last 30 years. One window was out. It is full of mice, mold, and water. Good combo. Makes you want to hurl, literally and figuratively.

Old 03-08-2008, 12:39 AM
blively
Advanced

you know, i wonder that too.. but thats the way i was able to pick mine up.. person neglected this poor car and it broke down on them, then i came in the picture and picked it up cheap. only bad thing is having to repair what could have been prevented!
Old 03-08-2008, 06:45 AM
AWilson
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I think sometimes they are second cars and become optional and discretionary. So if there are no extra discretionary funds then they sit and deteriorate. Other reasons are people buy them but don't really have anywhere to work on them or at least less than ideal conditions. Then the owner looses interest because as it sits it needs more and more money to get it going. By then very often the work required is out of the expertise of the owner and they can't pay to have it done. So it sits some more.
Then someone says something like; When you gonna do something with that junk or sell it. The owner defends the car but secretly knows they are right. And then it sits some more.
Then the guy sells it and the car leaves with a little bit of the poor guys hopes and dreams.

Kinda mimics life in some ways. But those dreams and hopes keep us going.
Old 03-08-2008, 06:46 AM
AWilson
Drifting

Originally Posted by 78Vette-SA
A perfect example (although a C2 not a C3 but the principle applies). I picked up this 63 Convertible on Saturday. It had been sitting outside and with no cover for most of the last 30 years. One window was out. It is full of mice, mold, and water. Good combo. Makes you want to hurl, literally and figuratively.

Very cool. I envy this. When my C3 is done in a couple of years I want a 61 or 62 project. But I better stay focused on the 68 right now!!
Old 03-08-2008, 07:12 AM
65convt
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a shame that people allow Vettes to get to that point. Theres a 61 about 10 min. from me sitting i a guys yard. Must have been there for years as it has OLD Whitewall snow tires on it, and from what you can see of it. It's pretty BEAT.
Only covered by Tattered old tarps. This guy will not get off it either. I have tried talking to him countless times. Now he just lets the dogs out
Old 03-08-2008, 08:53 AM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

There are still countless stories of Vettes in yards rotting for 35-40 years and not for sale. There are many reasons for this but one of the more common is the son bought the car before being shipped off to Nam and gave his all for country. With a connection like that, do you think you'll ever buy it at any price? Respect the family's privacy.
Old 03-08-2008, 03:49 PM
Kerry67
Instructor

I am not talking about cars that are just sitting and rotting, that is a whole other topic. I am talking about drivers. It is a CORVETTE for God's sake. Take care of it !
Old 03-08-2008, 05:03 PM
DvBoard
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kerry67
I am not talking about cars that are just sitting and rotting, that is a whole other topic. I am talking about drivers. It is a CORVETTE for God's sake. Take care of it !
It's a corvette, it's meant to be driven!
Old 03-08-2008, 06:17 PM
AWilson
Drifting

I'm on a mission to drive mine
Old 03-08-2008, 08:15 PM
RogerDeV
Instructor

Originally Posted by 78Vette-SA
And if that was an original COUPE it would have sold for $25k or so in that condition...

Anyway- it'll be worth the investment, assuming you paid a fair price. Post some pics after it's restored!
Old 03-08-2008, 09:09 PM
Recon12thman
Instructor

yea my buddys wife her grandparents live next to a guy who has a 63 split window and another 62 both on jack stands and under tarps but theyre rotting and just goin south, the guys will sell them though for 30k a piece
Old 03-08-2008, 10:58 PM
RODD
Advanced

maybe ... just maybe, the guy was on his way to a restoration shop, and wanted to get that last drive before the two year ??? restoration began.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:49 PM
DZRick
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It took me years to get mine up to POS condition But it was a work in progress and finally being able to drive it overrode any concern I had about how it looked at the time.

Get notified of new replies

To How do you let a Vette turn into a POS ??

Old 03-09-2008, 01:39 AM
ed427vette
Melting Slicks

Received 657 Likes on 468 Posts

Another General Discussion thread in the For Sale section.

This forum is turning into the same condition as the cars you are talking about.

Just like the car someone cared about that turned to crap, the moderators used to care about this forum.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:51 AM
vintage-racer
Instructor

Default c5 POS

It's sickening but...it's not just the vintage ones. There is a 99 red fixed roof coupe running around near the hospital were I work that has had right front body damage since it was only 6 months old. I saw it again the other day wearing yet another layer of 200 MPH tape slapped on its' fender-nose-headlight area. Funny ,they have always sprung for the extra cost TEACHERS FIRST license plates,but not sprung for repairs. Full coverage insurance???
Old 04-11-2008, 08:14 AM
corvettedad123
Racer

St. Jude Donor '08

Default Amen brother....lol...

Originally Posted by Kerry67
But then again, if it werent for those people letting those cars sit up and rot as you say, people like me couldnt buy fixer uppers and make em great again....What would we do then.....lol....

Quick Reply: How do you let a Vette turn into a POS ??