Sponsored by:

Valuation of a 79 L48, auto with 5,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 07:32 PM
keeks2915
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Valuation of a 79 L48, auto with 5,000 miles

I am looking at 79 l48, auto red on black, loaded except for the L82. Original owner, full documented, clearly accurate mileage. No accidents, al original survivor paint, original tires.... Everything.. (Obviously tires unsafe) fluids / gas maintained and changed out routinely.

So...not a highly collectible year and not top dog engine/ tranny.

Assuming it is as I describe it where do ballpark pricing when negotiating with the owner.

I have large vette collection of the expensive ones but not sure how to come at the later C3s....

Appreciate any reasoned responses.

Thanks,

Keeks
Old 04-22-2016, 12:13 AM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 518 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by keeks2915
I am looking at 79 l48, auto red on black, loaded except for the L82. Original owner, full documented, clearly accurate mileage. No accidents, al original survivor paint, original tires.... Everything.. (Obviously tires unsafe) fluids / gas maintained and changed out routinely.

So...not a highly collectible year and not top dog engine/ tranny.

Assuming it is as I describe it where do ballpark pricing when negotiating with the owner.

I have large vette collection of the expensive ones but not sure how to come at the later C3s....

Appreciate any reasoned responses.

Thanks,

Keeks
With this low miles you will probably have problems with everything that seals in fluids. Problems with vacuum hose craking, suspension bushing will start to crack. I would not pay extra because of the low mileage, but it may be worth more than others because it should not have any poorly done repairs (DIY people).

All the problems will start to show once you start to put miles on it.

The area that helps is the condition of the interior, while you can get replacement parts for the interior, the after market stuff usually fits poorly.

But expect to repair brakes, power steering system problems, engine leaks (head valve seals), A/C if it has AC.

Also the side yokes of the original cars would usually be worn @ 30-40k miles (OEM were very soft metal)

If this becomes a garage queen for you as well then this may not be of concern.

If you want a daily driver don't expect to escape the continues train of repairs your C3 will require over the next 2-5 years.

Here in Canada people would ask 18-28k ( canadian for 79's low milage) I would guess he would be asking 23-25k (canadian) for a well optioned car.

US Market I would guess 18-20k if the car looked like a show car with everything original and working and has all the options.

A/C power windows / doors / glass T-Roof L82 engine. YJ8 Aluminum wheels ,

At barret jackson 78 pace cars with 8 miles only sold for $48k and that is with multi million dollars buyers (customers) bidding.

My 78 when it was new Was only 14.2k Canadian.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:31 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by keeks2915
...Assuming it is as I describe it...
Why assume anything? Have you seen the car? This car is worth what someone will pay for it. As a starting point, what is the seller asking? If the asking price is an irrational figure, pass on this one and keep looking.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:55 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,543 Likes on 2,159 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Keeks, These ultra low mileage cars are worth, basically what people are willing to pay for them. A nice, original 79 L-48 is worth in the ballpark of $10,000 (more or less). If it's as new with that mileage and the fluids have been changed along with occasional drives to keep it running, it's worth a bit more. It all depends on how you value a time capsule type Vette.

The problem (aside from mechanical issues/leaks from sitting), is that once you drive these cars the value diminishes rapidly. If you like it and it can be purchased reasonably it may be an interesting buy, but it is not an inherently collectible car. So once you buy it, what do you do with it? It can occupy space in your collection or you can drive it and lose money???
Old 04-22-2016, 08:12 AM
fishslayer143
Drifting

Received 156 Likes on 143 Posts

You are asking for approx. value with little detail and no pictures .. We would just be guessing.. Location , which you don t provide, also influences price.. It has no special interest, not even an L-82 car.. That car would go for around $10-12K here.. but if someone REALLY wants a specific car, they will pay more... Whats the asking price?
Old 04-22-2016, 09:58 AM
81corvettevortec
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Gonna have to agree with others. I am saying 10k and really the biggest motivating factor is that it probably has less bubba crap done to it. Its not a desirable year or engine combo so the mileage really doesn't increase its value in my opinion...

Keep in mind that almost all the seals will need to be changed on that car and is going to add up quick!
Old 04-22-2016, 05:03 PM
keeks2915
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 42 Posts

Thanks for the advice guys.... This is why I have always loved this site. I understand the non collectibility very well... It is s high school thing. I always saw the cool kid driving one of these and lusted after it. Bear in mind I have a numbers **** 63 split, 61, 69, 15 z06, 66 gt350 etc so I have a bunch cool stuff worth $, this is Just something that isn't much money and a fun thing. He is asking 25 USD which is clearly high but 15-18 would be in my ballpark.

Doubt he will go there but now I have the opinions I was looking for... Thx

Get notified of new replies

To Valuation of a 79 L48, auto with 5,000 miles

Quick Reply: Valuation of a 79 L48, auto with 5,000 miles