Sponsored by:

72 Red convertible

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 06:14 PM
Chaz 01
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

Default 72 Red convertible

I'm about to close the deal on a 1972 Red Convertible, 4 speed, 91,750 miles. I have spent the last 4 days checking the car out and everything works fine although, I discovered the wiper door does not open, not that I'll be driving her in the rain, but this has me concern'd. Would you all have any idea on what may be causing this problem. The car has been very well taken care of.

Having my 2004, this is really taking a step back in time. But I feel it's such a good deal, I couldn't pass it up.

Could this be a deal killer?

Charlie
Old 04-04-2008, 06:17 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

No not a deal killer. It is either the vacuum door is not working properly or the wiper motor is shot or maybe both. Either one is not a big deal to fix. What is not happening? When you turn on the wipers does the wiper door open?
Old 04-04-2008, 07:56 PM
Poppa Bud
Race Director

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In IX Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Could be as simple as a vacuum hose off, but also could be an actuator, hoses need replacing, or solenoid. I would think no more than a couple hundred $$ at most. If you like the car and the deal it shouldn't matter. Maybe you can get the seller to knock off a C-note to take care of it.

Good luck
Old 04-04-2008, 08:23 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

I agree with the above postitions, with the caveat that you must be willing to work on the door to get it fixed. There are few [if any] experienced mechanics that are [both] knowledgeable about this subject nor that are readily available for you to hire. Thus, you will have to learn about the vacuum system, do the diagnostic testing, and implement the fix to get it working again. The good news is that this problem is NOT complicated...a simple vacuum system diagram and a diagnostic manual, along with an inexpensive vacuum gauge and some time and patience, are all that are required to get it working well again.

We're here to help with that....so...go buy a car!
Old 04-04-2008, 08:50 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

If you like the car and want it, don't let the wiper door stop you from getting it. Lots of us on here have been through the wiper door stuff and can help you fix it.

Be sure to let us know how it goes and bring back some pics of the new toy.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:21 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My 72 had been sitting for 10 years before I bought it. When we first got it running I was amazed that the headlights worked, but the wiper door didn't open. I pulled back the rubber boot going to the wiper door canister and found that the seal had come off the canister. Pushed it back on and the wiper door opened and the wipers started working.

If you are going to buy an older Vette you should either be prepared to work on it yourself as a hobby or spend lots of $ to have someone else work on it. Find a good shop if the latter. It seems that 50% of the hacks on these cars are done by Bubba and the other 50% are done by "Corvette" shops.

Rick B.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:52 PM
ss396t6
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A red '72 Corvette convertible and a listless wiper door will stop you? I'd buy it regardless. As Poppa Bud said, it could be as simple as a hose off. He gave you a clue. Start with the simple, inexpensive route. After you buy it and begin to post questions you are going to get a lot of help here. It could be a hose or either the white plastic filter or that Trico three way pewter colored valve. Check under the steering column to see if the manual override **** is pulled down. If it's none of the above then consider the relay tree on the firewall might be defective. Check the vacuum tank under the inside of the driver's side fender to see if all the hoses are firmly on the ports. It could be only two hoses reversed somewhere.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:41 PM
Chaz 01
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

The deal is done. I have a new addition - a 1972 Red Convertible 4 speed, just got home and I tell you, I'm smiling from ear to ear. I've never owned a convertible before, more or less with both tops. I do have 2 small things to take care of, the wiper door is not working properly, but you all have given me some great ideas on where to start, and my highbeam head lamp on the driverside is out. After driving a C5 for so long, getting in the 72 is a real treat. I'll post some pictures once the weather in Maryland gets better.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:45 AM
moosie982
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Well, congrats on the new car, betcha that as time passes you will prefer the '72 even tho its an antique compared to your newer one as far as amenities go. Peace,,, Moosie
Old 04-08-2008, 02:38 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 549 Likes on 376 Posts

As for the door not opening. The vacuum solenoid that opens the door - it looks like two little pie pans stuck together - has a rubber button on the end for manual opening. Remove the button, insert a dowell or rod and push. You'll have to push hard. The door should open. When I do this, just to ease up on stress to the open mechanism, I use my fingers and pull the door up to give it a little assistance.

Work the door open and closed a few times manually. Next, I'd take a hose direct from engine manifold vacuum and attach it to the solenoid. Start the engine and it should open. Notice the solenoid has two vacuum ports. The one facing the front of the car should be the open port.

Get a vacuum schematic.. I like Dr Rebuild's. Next look at the little pull down black plastic rod under the steering column. With your hoses correct, pull this rod down and the door should open even with the wiper motor off. This rod essentially applies engine vacuum directly to the solenoid. The little rod will basically functionally duplicate running engine vacuum directly to the solenoid. On second thought you should do this easy test before applying engine vacuum directly to the solenoid (see above). All these vacuum things and their overrides are a lot of fun. Somebody put a lot of thought into the mechanics of the headlight opening mechanism.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:28 PM
gonzo14
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chaz 01
The deal is done. I have a new addition - a 1972 Red Convertible 4 speed, just got home and I tell you, I'm smiling from ear to ear. I've never owned a convertible before, more or less with both tops. I do have 2 small things to take care of, the wiper door is not working properly, but you all have given me some great ideas on where to start, and my highbeam head lamp on the driverside is out. After driving a C5 for so long, getting in the 72 is a real treat. I'll post some pictures once the weather in Maryland gets better.
I can tell your turning into a "chrome bumper warrior" already!! YOU GOT THE FEVER!!! You will NEVER go back now. Congratulations man, I am really happy for ya'

Gonzo
Old 04-08-2008, 04:52 PM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Great news! You're one of us now! You will need those wipers working to pass inspection, so fix then asap. Hi-beam bulb is probably shot. Now post pics and lots of them.
Glenn

Get notified of new replies

To 72 Red convertible

Quick Reply: 72 Red convertible