Sponsored by:

Rear clip options for '77

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 06:31 PM
black 77 in ri
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear clip options for '77

Hi guys, first time vette owner (1977 L82) and first-time poster. This car is in terrific shape, save for the paint. I've done lots of work with boats, so I'm pretty confident in my fiberglass skills. The rear urethane bumper is a bit warped and I'm thinking I'll go the fiberglass route before sending to paint. What are my options for a rear clip? I REALLY like flat style of the chrome bumper years , but I believe they were a one-piece rear body section without a separate tail piece. Is there any way to get that flat, late 60's look on my 77? I would forego metal bumpers for a mold-in job. I guess plab B would be an 80-82 style.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:12 PM
dannyman
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quite the task! You will need to recreate recess areas for taillight assemblies, and there is no room for them if no rear bumper, on a 77. May be best to locate a damage rear from a 68-71.

Like to see what you come up with!
Old 03-04-2008, 01:50 PM
temvette72
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you could get the rear half of a 68-73 rear clip and graft it to your existing rear clip. I know that Vanacor (www.vanacorvette.com) advertises that they will mold up any part that you desire (partial panels, gill panels, etc), so maybe you could contact them. I just am finishing up the install of a new front clip that I bought from J and D Corvette in Bellflower, CA, and I am very pleased with the quality of their 'glas, so they may be another source. I have seen another Vette on the forum with the 68-73 rear end with the bumpers removed and the molded-in fairing smoothed....It is VERY cool...good luck.

Temvette72
Old 03-04-2008, 07:51 PM
seventysixvette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to smile when I read this thread. I posted almost the exact same thing 'bout 7 months ago. I looked around and finally decided to make one myself. I just started on this this past Sunday (Mar 2).

I'm cutting up a new SE rear cover. I sectioned 3" out and re-glassed the lower license section back on.

The rear cover is tapered so I had to cut and widen the lower section to make it fit up on the ends.

I'm going to go straight and flat on the top half. I can re-use the the tail light buckets by cutting them out and glassing them back in.

I have to agree with you, I really like the looks of a bumper cars rear end without the bumpers. I figure if I just build it myself, I could get just what I want and maybe save a few bucks.

BTW, one of the guys here has done up the rear end of his car, pulling the metal bumpers off and moulding the whole thing in. It's got a great red paint job on it, too. It looks great!

Please keep us "chronicly unsatisfieds" posted on what you find!
John

Clik on this link, scroll down to Kid Vettes pics...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1950935

Last edited by seventysixvette; 03-04-2008 at 09:11 PM.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:09 PM
NAVY08
Race Director

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Originally Posted by seventysixvette
I had to smile when I read this thread. I posted almost the exact same thing 'bout 7 months ago. I looked around and finally decided to make one myself. I just started on this this past Sunday (Mar 2).

I'm cutting up a new SE rear cover. I sectioned 3" out and re-glassed the lower license section back on.

The rear cover is tapered so I had to cut and widen the lower section to make it fit up on the ends.

I'm going to go straight and flat on the top half. I can re-use the the tail light buckets by cutting them out and glassing them back in.

I have to agree with you, I really like the looks of a bumper cars rear end without the bumpers. I figure if I just built it my self, I could get just what I want and maybe save a few bucks.

BTW, one of the guys here has done up the rear end of his car, pulling the metal bumpers off and moulding the whole thing in. It's got a great red paint job on it, too. It looks great!

Please keep us "chronicly unsatisfieds" posted on what you find!
John

Clik on this link, scroll down to Kid Vettes pics...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1950935
I asked this question less than a few months ago and i got the "its not possible unless you replace the whole clip answer too

You are awesome and doing exactly what ive been thinknig of doing the last few weeks, I havent drawn up dimensions yet, but I will, did you start with the 80-82 rear or the 74-77 style? I have so many more questions, you need to start a thread documenting everything
Old 03-04-2008, 09:02 PM
seventysixvette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NAVY08
I asked this question less than a few months ago and i got the "its not possible unless you replace the whole clip answer too

You are awesome and doing exactly what ive been thinknig of doing the last few weeks, I havent drawn up dimensions yet, but I will, did you start with the 80-82 rear or the 74-77 style? I have so many more questions, you need to start a thread documenting everything
Just sent you a long PM with more pics. I don't want to hijack Black 77s thread.
John
Old 03-05-2008, 08:24 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

... I'm pretty confident in my fiberglass skills.
So you are in good shape to do what you want.

Some things you might want to consider:
The original design 68 rear spoiler was cut way down for prod. for better aerodynamics- the front was lifting at speed.
You can also get the ZR1 style rear bumber.

The Indy pace car ft. spoiler is a great addition for 68-77. Cleans up airflow underneath & sweeps airflow around ft. tires & scoops up air for cooling. Rec. for all 68-79 ! I put mine on as soon as possible, so early that the paint matches & it appears original.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:22 PM
black 77 in ri
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, looks like I've come to the right place. Time to break out the cutoff wheel...
Old 04-04-2008, 07:49 PM
seventysixvette
Burning Brakes

After I posted, I had a couple of you guys who were asking what I had in mind for a rear cover.

Here is what im going with. Please keep in mind this is very rough, not filed, ground on, filled and sanded or finished in any way. Just the rough fiberglass shell.

I've got a lot of finish work and reinforcing to do , but after dummying it up, I like the general direction it's going.
John

Get notified of new replies

To Rear clip options for '77

Quick Reply: Rear clip options for '77