Sponsored by:

light replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 06:38 PM
bucstiger40
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default light replacement.

ok guys, heres a dumb one for ya. I am replacing the tail light bulb. how do I remove it without breaking the bulb? Just have to get it out!
Old 03-05-2008, 06:48 PM
moosie982
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Push in on it , gently, and twist, if it doesnt move spray some bust rust or similar on the base where it contacts the holder. Works for me every time, Good Luck, Peace,,,Moosie
Old 03-05-2008, 06:51 PM
bucstiger40
Advanced

thanks for your help Moos, I saw you were on and hoped you'd chime in, with your infinite Vette knowledge and all. thanks

Update: I replaced the right rear tail light and my problem was not fixed. When I turn on the right turn signal, it doe not blink, just stays on. But when I push the brake the right rear light goes off. Whats the next move?

Last edited by bucstiger40; 03-05-2008 at 06:57 PM.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:09 PM
bucstiger40
Advanced

bump, I want to get this done tonight

(taps feet and looks at watch)

Last edited by bucstiger40; 03-05-2008 at 07:46 PM.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:46 PM
bucstiger40
Advanced

anyone?
Old 03-05-2008, 07:57 PM
hicswa
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You got a 1157 bulb in there?
Old 03-05-2008, 08:00 PM
bucstiger40
Advanced

yes, but I have the same result as I did with the old light bulb in there.

keep in mind that the tail lights work like normal, but it's the right that won't blink with the turn signal( just brightens like the brake is being pushed.) and will not work when the brake is applied(goes off totally).

Last edited by bucstiger40; 03-05-2008 at 08:04 PM.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:53 PM
moosie982
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Well if it lights up but dont blink and goes off when you step on the brakes it should be grounded enough besides the tail lights work properly, is the bulb positioned in the socket the right way ? Maybe you should check the flasher up in the fuse box, other then that unless Bubba's been into the wires what else could be wrong, the switch itself ? Dunno but good luck, electrical problems generally suck. Peace,,,Moosie
Old 03-05-2008, 09:53 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

Does the right front signal light up? I was thinking that if the front bulb is burnt out, there might not be enough load to make the flasher flash.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:03 PM
bucstiger40
Advanced

no, all of the blinking on the one side doesnt blink, just lights up. Well, if bubba did mess with them he at least got them to work since July of last year. I mean, I was driving down the highway on sunday, and my dad who is following me called and told me that it just started happening. Aggrivated right now!
Old 03-05-2008, 11:25 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,236 Likes on 2,312 Posts

Check the ground wire that goes into the tail lamp socket on the side. My 78 was acting about the same and the wire was corroded inside the socket. You can test it by running a ground wire to the frame and touching to the brass part of the bulb while it's in the socket and see if it flashes.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:09 AM
bucstiger40
Advanced

Someone suggested replacing the socket, so I ordered one off ecklers. I'll try this and see if it works, if not I'll go
Old 03-16-2008, 08:41 PM
bucstiger40
Advanced

Default Help!!!

***UPDATE***
Alright, we replaced the socket, and the problem is not solved. Now, tail lights stay on like before, the only difference is that the right one does not go off when brake is applied like before. It remains on, but does not get brighter. The blinker also does not blink, all of the right side lights do not blink. Can it be a light is going dead somewhere else in the car? Are there separate fuses for brake and turn signal? Or does it all fall under tail lights? Also, where do the wires run from the fuse box to the tail, is it all under the center console? What else, any suggestions?
Old 03-16-2008, 09:14 PM
PeteZO6
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Little terminology here: The taillight is the filament that is on when the park/headlights are on - not as bright. The other, brighter, filament is the stop/brake/turnsignal light/flasher light.

What happens when you put the 4-way flasher on? Do all four corners and the two in the speedo/tach flash? When you put the brake on when the flashers are flashing, all lights should stay on - no flashing.

When you turn a turnsignal on, the bright filament should flash. When the turnsignal is on when the brakes are applied, the light should still flash.

Like previous poster said, check your grounds. Check the wiring, and check the flasher itself, altough if the left turnsignals work, it is most likely good. The lamp socket should have two power leads, one for each filament, and a ground. Having a plastic body, Corvettes are notorious for poor grounds, and a poor or missing ground will certainly mess you up. The grounds don't go to the body like on most cars, but to a common point that is grounded on the frame.

Cheers,
Pete
Old 03-17-2008, 11:49 AM
bucstiger40
Advanced

Alright, the flashers work on the right side and the left side (remember, everything on the left side is fine) , EXCEPT for the right tail light. The front and side lamps all flash. What does this mean? Is the ground to the right tail light bad? When the brake is applied, the right side gets no brighter than the regular tail light. Are we getting close to the answer?
Old 03-17-2008, 03:32 PM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bucstiger40
Alright, the flashers work on the right side and the left side (remember, everything on the left side is fine) , EXCEPT for the right tail light. The front and side lamps all flash. What does this mean? Is the ground to the right tail light bad? When the brake is applied, the right side gets no brighter than the regular tail light. Are we getting close to the answer?
Sounds like the brighter fillament is burned out.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:45 PM
Kerry67
Instructor

Actually, you try to remove it, bust it in your hand and cut your finger and bleed all over, proceed with the obsenities, then grab a needle nose pliars and pull it out. At, least that is how I did it a couple weeks ago.

Get notified of new replies

To light replacement.

Old 03-17-2008, 03:59 PM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kerry67
Actually, you try to remove it, bust it in your hand and cut your finger and bleed all over, proceed with the obsenities, then grab a needle nose pliars and pull it out. At, least that is how I did it a couple weeks ago.
I was trying to replace one of my backup bulbs yesterday and couldn't get it out and that was by biggest fear. Even using rubber gloves for better grip, I could only push it and twist it a bit, but not enough to get out. PITA! Have to try again.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:25 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,236 Likes on 2,312 Posts

Originally Posted by bucstiger40
Okay, your still confusing me with the tail and brake lamp terminology. When you turn on the parking lights, does the right rear come on at the same brightness as the left? When you step on the brake with the lights off, does the right rear light up the same as the left? There are two filaments in each bulb as stated before, one is the tail lamp and the other is the brake/turn signal. Is the tail lamp filament working properly now and when you step on the brake with the lights on, it doesn't get any brighter? When the lights are on and the brake pressed, both filaments will light (in the same bulb). When the turn signal is turned on, the tail lamp will stay lit and the brake light flash brighter. Tell me which of these is not right on your car.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:36 PM
bucstiger40
Advanced

The second filament does not light up. The first filament is lit up like normal, but when brake is applied, the second does not light up. When turn signal is on and tail lights are off, the tail lamp never lights up, but the other lights on the right side turn on but don't flash. When lights are on and turn signal is on, the tail lamp remains lit (but gets no brighter.)and the other lights on this side do get brighter, but do not flash. On both of these, the dash indicator stays lit and does not flash. Here's the tricky part, when the hazard lights are on, the dash indicator flashes and the whole car's exterior lights flash EXCEPT for the right tail lamp. What gives?
Since it is a new bulb and a new socket, does one of the three wires running into the socket only control that second filament? I assume one is a ground. What do you think? could one of the wires be bad that runs to the new wire of the new socket?

Last edited by bucstiger40; 03-17-2008 at 11:39 PM.

Quick Reply: light replacement.