Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash Wiring Harness'...all the same?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 01:29 AM
chevyreb
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dash Wiring Harness'...all the same?

I am looking to replace my under dash wiring harness in my 69 w/o A/C. I have looked at different sites and see prices ranging from $375 or so up to $479. All of the adds say the wire colors and plugs are as original and so on. So I am wondering if they are all made by the same place or if there are some better than others, or ones to avoid using.

I have a local dealer who said he can beat the advertised prices as well, but not sure of his source/brand.

Can some of you that have done this before please give feedback on the quality of products used? Also any tips are welcome.

Thanks,

reb
Old 01-17-2008, 04:55 AM
brs6482
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Dude, get ready for some work. I used a "lectric limited" system and it was just like i pulled out only updated. Good system. HAve had no issues with it. I bought the system for the entire car but i know they sell the system for just under the dash. Good luck and post us on your work.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:41 AM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

'Lectric Limited makes a very nice harness. I believe it is still the favorite of the NCRS people. You will get a good price from Last Detail in Atlanta.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:37 AM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 638 Likes on 427 Posts

I'm using Lectric Limited harnesses on my car and have had zero issues. A true plug-n-play harness.

Shop for prices as they do vary by vendor: I'm not sure if all 3 are 'lectric limited

The Last Detail $449 w/ or w/o A/C
Paragon $479 w/o A/C or $436 w/ A/C
Zip $459 w/ or w/o A/C
Old 01-17-2008, 09:49 AM
1Fordman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Lectric Limited is the way to go. Look on e--y, the partsladi sells them at good prices.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:25 AM
Sully1882
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Fordman
Lectric Limited is the way to go. Look on e--y, the partsladi sells them at good prices.
I agree with the other guys... lectric limited is the way to go. I used their products when I replaced my engine and front lighting harness and plan on doing the same for the under dash harness. The best price I have found is partsladi on ebay. I called and emailed and verified that they are lectric limited brand harnesses. Beat all other prices I found by almost $100.00.

good luck,

Sully
Old 01-17-2008, 04:33 PM
427basketcase
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

One more here for Lectric Limited, I replaced mine from the bulkhead forward, it almost fell into place. Zero problems!
Old 01-17-2008, 08:17 PM
chevyreb
Instructor

Originally Posted by brs6482
Dude, get ready for some work. I used a "lectric limited" system and it was just like i pulled out only updated. Good system. HAve had no issues with it. I bought the system for the entire car but i know they sell the system for just under the dash. Good luck and post us on your work.

Well my car came already disassembled so at least some of the work is already done LOL. The bad part is that I did not take all the dash and console out so I will be asking lots of ?'s when I get to putting it back together. It just does not make sense not to replace the wiring when everything is already apart. If I have any issues with the front or rear harness's I will replace them too but everything seams to work on them. The ends on the dash bulbs and connectors are just too brittle, and I don't want to repeat this task.

Thanks to all who replied. I am looking at the partsladi (e--y) and looks like $395 for the one I need which is much less than other places I have seen. Looks like they have lots of other things I need too so will be checking them out closer.

Any tips on getting this done are sooo welcome. Anyone got pic's and instructions for doing this?
Old 01-17-2008, 08:20 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Another voter for Lectric Limited from The Last Detail.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:19 PM
1Fordman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Having just recently replaced all 4 harness' in my car (68), just lay the new one(s) in as you take the old one(s) out. If your's has the wiring out the AIM shows the routing. Getting the dash harness in correctly makes putting in the speedo and tach side as well as the gauge cluster much easier. When you get there run up the red flag and we'll be here to guide you through it. Just be patient and dont get in a hurry. Probably the hardest part is taking apart and hooking up the fuse box to engine side bulkhead connection at the firewall. It's kind of tight for space down there.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:21 PM
chevyreb
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1Fordman
Having just recently replaced all 4 harness' in my car (68), just lay the new one(s) in as you take the old one(s) out. If your's has the wiring out the AIM shows the routing. Getting the dash harness in correctly makes putting in the speedo and tach side as well as the gauge cluster much easier. When you get there run up the red flag and we'll be here to guide you through it. Just be patient and dont get in a hurry. Probably the hardest part is taking apart and hooking up the fuse box to engine side bulkhead connection at the firewall. It's kind of tight for space down there.
Thanks for the heads up 1Fordman, I will probably need some help from a friend for that part. I took off part of my right middle top fingernail tip down into the nail bed and a little off the ring finger in a router accident last Saturday while making some raised panel cabinet doors :-(
So I am hacking around on the computer keyboard trying to get a list of stuff I need for the car together. Hopefully I won't go crazy because I am somewhat limited with my injury for a few weeks.

But I will sure ask questions when I get the harness in, I know all of you guys will be there to help and encourage me through this project!

Thanks again everyone.

reb

Last edited by chevyreb; 01-17-2008 at 11:28 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Dash Wiring Harness'...all the same?

Quick Reply: Dash Wiring Harness'...all the same?