C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pictures of my New Motor & Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 12:54 AM
str8upchevy
Burning Brakes

Location: 90% of all Fords are still on the road.....the other 10% actually made it home!
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pictures of my New Motor & Wheels

Well, I finally got my new wheels mounted and balanced and put on the car last week. Then I went and picked up my new small block 406 from the machine shop yesterday and decided to do a Mock-up to see what it will look like all together. (Well, sort of)

I decided to do the Exterior last so it's going to look like Poop for a little while longer. Anyway here it is with the new wheels/tires, and also a few pics of the motor on the engine stand.

The Data Sheet claims it's suppose to make 420 HP at the flywheel........(Keep in mind this was a buget build. I got the complete balanced long block with end pieces and timing set for $1800) Engine specs are listed in post #3.

I'll post some more pictures after I get it dropped in the car!

Last edited by str8upchevy; 01-17-2008 at 11:57 PM.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:01 AM
Ak. Mal
Race Director

Location: Kansas City, MO ...I'd like to go fishing and catch a fishstick. That'd be convenient. - Mitch Hedberg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice. Although I suspect you might have some hood clearance issues. What are the specs on the engine?
Old 01-17-2008, 01:49 AM
str8upchevy
Burning Brakes

Location: 90% of all Fords are still on the road.....the other 10% actually made it home!

Originally Posted by Ak. Mal
Nice. Although I suspect you might have some hood clearance issues. What are the specs on the engine?
Yeah, I'm glad I decided not to buy a cowl hood for it. Actually cutting the hole in one of these hoods is really easy because of the way it tilts back. There's no need for cutting extra space because it lifts almost straight up.

406 Engine Specs are as follows....... .030 over 400 block (2 bolt studded) Virgin 400 Crank, 5.7" Pink Rods, ARP Bolt Kit, Rod Bolts have a 45 degree angle grind on the cam side of the bolt head, Clevite bearings, Keith Black forged pistons (10.5:1 ), Moly rings, custom grind Hyd cam .520/lift 270/Duration, Ported & Polished 69 Corvette Heads, Manley Swirl Polished 2.02/1.60 Valves, High Rev Springs, Thin wall bronze guides, 1.5 roller tip rockers, PRW Flex Plate & Balancer.

There's a double roller timing set in there now, but I decided at the last minute to go with a "Quiet" gear drive. It's also been completely balanced so it should turn 6000 without any problems. The next time I save up some extra money, the first thing I'll be buying is a good set of aluminum heads. Something that will really let this 406 breath.

(Oh yeah, it has a Weiand Tunnel Ram w/dual 450's. I'm just happy I get to run 92 Octane from the pump)

Last edited by str8upchevy; 01-18-2008 at 12:02 AM.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:24 AM
Buffalo Dude
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Old 01-17-2008, 04:52 AM
brs6482
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Ummm....what kind of mileage you gonna get with that monster? Looks like a beast, cant wait to see it in thre.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:20 AM
Evmcevil
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by str8upchevy
Yeah, I'm glad I decided not to buy a cowl hood for it. Actually cutting the hole in one of these hoods is really easy because of the way it tilts back. There's no need for cutting extra space because it lifts almost straight up.

Engine specs are pretty basic....... .030 over 400 block (2 bolt studded) Virgin 400 Crank, 5.7 Pink Rods, ARP Bolts with a 45 degree angle grind on the cam side of the bolt head, Clevite bearings, Keith Black forged pistons (10.5:1 ), Moly rings, custom grind Hyd cam .520/lift 270/Duration, Ported & Polished 69 Corvette Heads, Manley Swirl Polished 2.02/1.60 Valves, High Rev Springs, Thin wall bronze guides, 1.5 roller tip rockers, PRW Flex Plate & Balancer.

There's a double roller timing set in there now, but I decided at the last minute to go with a "Quiet" gear drive. It's also been completely balanced so it should turn 6000 without any problems. The next time I save up some extra money, the first thing I'll buy is a good set of aluminum heads. Something that will really let this 400 breath.

(Oh yeah, it has a Weiand Tunnel Ram w/dual 450's. I'm just happy I get to run 92 Octane from the pump)
Awesome!!!
Old 01-17-2008, 07:07 AM
Glassbowtie77
Melting Slicks

Old 01-17-2008, 08:41 AM
dannyman
Melting Slicks

WOW! Looks awesome! I am so envious!!

On a side note, I know how diffficult it is in some places to dispose of old beat up stuff. Like those old wheels, in the background! You ship them to me and I'll get rid of them for you!
Old 01-17-2008, 09:52 AM
markbett
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Are you trying to compensate for something? Looks Big!

Good luck
Old 01-17-2008, 12:19 PM
Ron R
Drifting

Originally Posted by brs6482
Ummm....what kind of mileage you gonna get with that monster? Looks like a beast, cant wait to see it in thre.
I believe we measure these in "gallons per mile", not miles per gallon.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:20 PM
Ron R
Drifting

Originally Posted by markbett

Good luck
All of us with the later C3's are trying to compensate for something - we're compensating for a lack of HP!
Old 01-17-2008, 12:45 PM
Silver-80
Advanced

Old 01-17-2008, 01:06 PM
BB72
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

At 420hp ...you might as well put on a Victor Jr and get the same HP and not cut your hood and get a lot better gas mileage. It will fit.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:01 PM
Glass Act
Melting Slicks

Location: 406ci SB, AFR 180 Heads - 490 HP @5,600 RPM 529 lb-ft @ 4,100 RPM

Great choice on rims, looks awsome
Old 01-17-2008, 05:13 PM
spedaleden
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts

Rims are nice. There is aother forum member that has the same look, but his car is yellow. My son is trooling over that engine. Keep the pics coming.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:41 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

That motor sure looks impressive but with those heads and that cam the tunnel ram is way overkill. It is not going to be much fun in the lower rpms and if you are not going to spin it above 6000 rpm the tunnel ram is not the best choice. If you are mainly going for the killer look you have got it hands down. Performance wise a good dual plane with a 650 to 750 carb is going to make more usable HP with your combo.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:51 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Nice What color are you going to paint it ?

Here I lowered it shaved the flares and painted it Dark Claret, hmmm starting to look familiar

Last edited by MotorHead; 01-17-2008 at 06:08 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Pictures of my New Motor & Wheels

Old 01-17-2008, 10:42 PM
str8upchevy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by brs6482
When a person goes to this extreme, they're usually not someone who's even thinking about gas mileage. As far as I'm concerned, there's way more to life than gas mileage!!!

Originally Posted by dannyman
WOW! Looks awesome! I am so envious!!

On a side note, I know how diffficult it is in some places to dispose of old beat up stuff. Like those old wheels, in the background! You ship them to me and I'll get rid of them for you!
Funny you mention that, I just sold those wheels and tires today!

Originally Posted by markbett

Good luck
I can't help but laugh everytime I hear that expression about Corvette owners. I'd love nothing more than to prove just how stupid it really is,.....but, I don't think they would allow me to post my proof.

Originally Posted by BB72
At 420hp ...you might as well put on a Victor Jr and get the same HP and not cut your hood and get a lot better gas mileage. It will fit.
I just love how people are always telling me what I should and shouldn't do to my own car. I wouldn't have bothered spending the money on a tunnel ram if I wanted to go that route. And cutting my hood will be very easy for me to do......it's not like this is some specialty Corvette and I'm destroying something important. If I decide to go with a single manifold down the road, I'll buy a 2" cowl hood for it.

Originally Posted by Gordonm
That motor sure looks impressive but with those heads and that cam the tunnel ram is way overkill. It is not going to be much fun in the lower rpms and if you are not going to spin it above 6000 rpm the tunnel ram is not the best choice. If you are mainly going for the killer look you have got it hands down. Performance wise a good dual plane with a 650 to 750 carb is going to make more usable HP with your combo.
What lower RPM's? I'm running a 9.5" 3000 Stall Converter. I don't think I'll have any problems what-so-ever with my lower RPM range. I appreciate the advice, but you nailed it right on the head when you mentioned the "Killer Look" thing. Besides, I really don't think I'll have much of a problem blowing the doors off a few Rustangs!

There's actually a whole list of things I would have done differently had I been going for performance alone. In a nutshell, I'm building an "Attention Getter" with some *****,....which is why I decided to go with the geardrive instead of running the roller. This is going to be street car 99% of the time. Now I'll probably take it out to the track once or twice just to see what it will run, but for the most part, I'm just having fun with it!

Originally Posted by MotorHead

Here I lowered it shaved the flares and painted it Dark Claret, hmmm starting to look familiar

"HOLY COW"

OMG Wayne, that is just too cool,........now I have a better idea of what it will look like. (especially with the flares shaved down. I'm actually sticking with Black on the color. I remember seeing a White 80-82 that was lowered and had a 6-71 Blower & BDS Scoop, (this was back in 1986) and ever since then I've wanted to do something similar in Black.

Obviously I can't afford to do the blower thing right now, but I have every intention of making it as close to the picture in my head as possible! Man, thanks again for taking the time to photoshop and post that picture!!!

Thanks a lot for all the comments guys.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:23 PM
BB72
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, really my point was if your going to stick something out of your hood, make it worth some HP. But if you don't mind bad gas mileage, a hole in your hood and a terrible view then go for it. I think a blower would look much better, thats just me. But if it doesn't work for you ...oh well. I'm going to get knocked for this comment I'm sure... aren't tunnel rams so 70's?!?! I do think your motor looks great though.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:26 PM
Ak. Mal
Race Director

Location: Kansas City, MO ...I'd like to go fishing and catch a fishstick. That'd be convenient. - Mitch Hedberg

Originally Posted by str8upchevy
Originally Posted by MotorHead

"HOLY COW"

OMG Wayne, that is just too cool,........now I have a better idea of what it will look like. (especially with the flares shaved down. I'm actually sticking with Black on the color. I remember seeing a White 80-82 that was lowered and had a 6-71 Blower & BDS Scoop, (this was back in 1986) and ever since then I've wanted to do something similar in Black.

Obviously I can't afford to do the blower thing right now, but I have every intention of making it as close to the picture in my head as possible! Man, thanks again for taking the time to photoshop and post that picture!!!

Thanks a lot for all the comments guys.
I apologize for the crappy photoshop, just my attempt. If the color is off, it's because I'm using a new laptop and can't figure out how to adjust the screen colors in Vista.

Quick Reply: Pictures of my New Motor & Wheels