Sponsored by:

71 Lt1 Info Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 03:52 PM
opes
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 71 Lt1 Info Need Help

i just bought a 71 coupe lt1 with 68k original miles this car is all original and has been in storage for 25years or so.it has never been hit or had any paint work done.my question is did all lt1 cars come with the big block style hood?this car has a standard hood and the fellow i bought it from said it had always been that way. help out there?.

Last edited by opes; 11-28-2007 at 05:30 PM.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:55 PM
gccch
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

Neuman!

I've been looking high and low for your new car! Yes it has the big block hood, but no holes where the "454" would be, just a decal. Post some pics and your price to sell it to me.

Greg
Old 11-28-2007, 03:56 PM
moosie982
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

LT-1's all had the big block style hood on them from St.Louis. Anything else aint original. Peace,,,Moosie
Old 11-28-2007, 03:59 PM
opes
Navigator

i have a few pics of when i bought it not very good as the car was stuffed i a garage but i will post them.this car doesnt have a big block hood and i look and looked and it doesnt appear to have ever been changed.could one car have slipped threw the cracks and got a reg hood?could it have been ordered that way?i
Old 11-28-2007, 04:04 PM
moosie982
Safety Car

Would the carb./ intake combo. fit under a flat hood ? LT-1's had an aluminum high rise manifold . Peace,,, Moosie
Old 11-28-2007, 04:09 PM
garage-ghost
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by moosie982
Would the carb./ intake combo. fit under a flat hood ? LT-1's had an aluminum high rise manifold . Peace,,, Moosie
No..... it won't...RED FLAG here. .
I'll bet the car isn't a LT-1 or it has the wrong intake on it.
We need pics.....
Old 11-28-2007, 04:43 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by garage-ghost
No..... it won't...RED FLAG here. .
I'll bet the car isn't a LT-1 or it has the wrong intake on it.
We need pics.....

The LT1 intake carb and air filter will not fit under the flat hood. I'll bet the car is not an LT1. Do you have any documentation? There are a few tell tale signs of an LT1 but the hood is obvious. No it did not slip out the back door this way.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:44 PM
opes
Navigator

it a real lt1 car all the codes are correct tach red line and build sheet is still on the car.how can i add pics?
Old 11-28-2007, 04:54 PM
opes
Navigator

engine code is cgz

options are

A85
Custom Shoulder Belts
C50
Rear Window Defroster
J50
Power Brakes
LT1
350ci 330hp Engine
M21
4 Speed Manual Close Ratio
N40
Power Steering
A31
Power Windows
PU9
White Letter Tires F70x15
PO2
Deluxe Wheel Cover
U69
AM/FM Radio
Old 11-28-2007, 05:15 PM
gccch
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

Here are your pics... can't tell too much from these. Do you have any of the engine?

Last edited by gccch; 11-28-2007 at 05:44 PM.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:53 PM
opes
Navigator

i will send you some tommorow,have to take them tonight when i get home.the hood is a little hard to open and doesnt fit well as you can see in the one picture.may be it was changed some time ago.it does have the correct intake and carb,valve cover etc on it.i did run all the numbers i could find on the motor etc and everything seems to me right.hood closes fine but it is tight and looks like it might hit the air cleaner housing.anyways i didnt want to spark any great debate on if the car was a real lt1 or not.i know it is, i just wanted to know if anyone ever had seen a lt1 with a reg hood on it.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:33 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

There has been a debate (war) for years about 67 small blocks with big block hoods. Wouldn't it be great if this was the start of a LT-1 debate.
Regards,
Alan
Old 11-28-2007, 09:13 PM
mstanton
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the chances that an LT-1 left the factory with a small block hood is slim to none. It is far more likely that the hood was replaced.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:45 PM
dmayhew
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Not the same thing

Originally Posted by Alan 71
There has been a debate (war) for years about 67 small blocks with big block hoods. Wouldn't it be great if this was the start of a LT-1 debate.
Regards,
Alan
There is quite a difference in a small block car getting a big block hood by accident. The big block hood would have no problems with room for the small block manifold / filter. It is completly impossible for a high rise aluminum intake and open element filter to fit under the base car hood on a LT-1.

Also , most of the list of optons does not indicate LT-1 , the radio proves nothing.

The CGZ is LT-1 , but is that original?

Nothing in the VIN tells anything

The tach face can be replaced with a 6,500 face.

I suggest you pull the oil pan and see if it is a 4 bolt main.

Also the emission sticker behind the brake booster should have AX

Check right side wall of fuel tank , reach hand up and feel for concave portion , is there a nipple ? If so that is a base car tank , If no nipple then that is a LT-1 / LS6 tank

Are there heavy duty caps on the rearend side yokes?

With a M21 rear end ratio should be 3:55 / 3:70 / 4:11

car would tach no less than ~2,650 @ 60 mph with 225/70 tires

look at the driver side front fender well by opening the hood , there should be T.I. ingition amplifer or if it was removed then the 3 bolt holes should be there. 2 holes low and 1 hole at top.

David
Old 11-29-2007, 12:34 AM
copter
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love these LT1 cars. The 4 I've had were in 70 Z/28's and were a blast to drive. I think the Z/28 had a weight advanage also. I'll be set right if I'm wrong, that's for sure.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:40 AM
copter
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love these LT1 cars. The 4 I've had were in 70 Z/28's and were a blast to drive. I think the Z/28 had a weight advanage also. I'll be set right if I'm wrong, that's for sure. I really think the HP was the same. Gm did the old decal mombo jumbo. Even if there was to 10 hp diff wouldn't notice the diff.Now torque that might be a different story. I can't remember who had what but with this Al Gore invented internet it shouldn't be to hard to find.Which just reminded me to buy some more carbon offsets.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:17 AM
opes
Navigator

you guys amaze me you are so quick to say the car isnt a real lt1,i dont have a concern it being a real lt1 car i have all the documentation as well like i said in the one post that the sheet is still on the tank.i just was asking about the hood.i have a few vettes now and have owned 50 or so in my day and i have seen alot of different things on original cars.

like the great debate with big block hoods on small block c2,s i have had a few if those as well.as for the hood not closing it does as you can plainly see.i am sorry for asking the question i really didnt think the car authenticity would be questioned.

i have a 70 coupe 350 350h.p. car in the same condition with a big block hood.again a number matching unrestored car with 35k miles.now are you going to tell me the it isnt a original small block car because it has a big block hood.

Get notified of new replies

To 71 Lt1 Info Need Help

Old 11-29-2007, 03:08 AM
moosie982
Safety Car

Unless you are the origional owner its hard to say what has been done to the car by previous caretakers. All the documentation in the world doesnt really amount to much unless you are the first, origional, owner . It is 2007, soon to be 2008 and we are talking about a car that is 36/37 years old. I dont doubt the car is what you say it is, and that is fine with me and is I am sure with a great percentage of the guys here. Peace,,,Moosie
Old 11-29-2007, 03:38 AM
Muddywaters
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At one time... I put a 3/4 inch ball of plumbers puddy on my 72 LT-1 air cleaner...and eased the hood down on it. My original hood has between 1/4 & 3/8 inch clearance over the cleaner. Needless to say, I would imagine this clearance shrinks with a little torque on the engine Muddy
Old 11-29-2007, 08:36 AM
Bullshark
Melting Slicks

Received 104 Likes on 49 Posts
CI 5 & 8 Veteran

Originally Posted by opes
you guys amaze me you are so quick to say the car isnt a real lt1,i dont have a concern it being a real lt1 car i have all the documentation as well like i said in the one post that the sheet is still on the tank.i just was asking about the hood.i have a few vettes now and have owned 50 or so in my day and i have seen alot of different things on original cars.

like the great debate with big block hoods on small block c2,s i have had a few if those as well.as for the hood not closing it does as you can plainly see.i am sorry for asking the question i really didnt think the car authenticity would be questioned.

i have a 70 coupe 350 350h.p. car in the same condition with a big block hood.again a number matching unrestored car with 35k miles.now are you going to tell me the it isnt a original small block car because it has a big block hood.
Opes, After reading all the posts, I didn't get the impression that the guys were saying that the car was not an original LT-1. I just think they were trying to arm you with some info, and in some cases opinions as to the likelihood of the situation. If you have done all your homework taking into account all the tell tale LT-1 indicators then you know more than any of us. My brother as well as a number of my close friends worked down at the Corvette Plant back when it was in St. Louis and I can tell you that there were some minor parts substitutions based on availability. One example I like to use is with my early build 70 LT-1. It has an original chrome shift ball on it. NCRS guys swear up and down that all 70's had black chrome *****. Just not true. Most probably a substitution was made using a 69 ball. This was confirmed back to the original owner.
With regard to your hood, I would bet my stable of vettes that that stock SB hood is not original. The odds of that level of substitution (at least in 70-72) are zero. That's not to say that a dealer couldn't have replaced it after the fact, but why?????

So, you have a SB 350/350 with the BB/LT-1 hood??? Why don't you just switch them and be done with it? The cars will be worth more in the long run.

Bullshark

Last edited by Bullshark; 11-29-2007 at 11:10 AM.
The following users liked this post:
1974Pantera (07-04-2020)

Quick Reply: 71 Lt1 Info Need Help