Suspension Questions 1971

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 03:05 PM
catdog
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension Questions 1971

I've got a bunch of questions.

1. Front rebuild - Polyurethane versus Rubber. In the old days it squeaked and was a real pain. Don't care about the slightly better ride with rubber and would rather have performance. Is Polyurethane the best choice?

2. Has anyone converted to a Rack & Pinion steering? Is it worth the money? I'm trying to build a good driver car for the wife and have not had much luck with the "assist" type power steering.

3. Is Ecklers a good source for suspension parts?

4. Thinking of buying a complete suspension system. Ecklers has a Monospring system for approximately $1000. It comes with a 315 lb spring rating. I’m building an approximately 400 hp ZZ4 motor with a 700R4 Trans. Should I increase the spring rating to handle the increased hp?

Just want to say thanks for all the people who reply with positive feedback.

Catdog
Old 11-05-2007, 03:21 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

1, Yes, Urethane is better, use the supplied silicone grease liberally and you will be ok
2. Lots of guys running R&P from junk yards, Flaming River, Van Steel, VBP etc. Most guys swear by them, I still got stock
3. Ecklers is ok sometimes, Checkout VBP and Van Steel for suspension packages and prices. Make sure you get good components like Moog ball joints and tie rods.

Originally Posted by catdog

1. Front rebuild - Polyurethane versus Rubber. In the old days it squeaked and was a real pain. Don't care about the slightly better ride with rubber and would rather have performance. Is Polyurethane the best choice?

2. Has anyone converted to a Rack & Pinion steering? Is it worth the money? I'm trying to build a good driver car for the wife and have not had much luck with the "assist" type power steering.

4. Thinking of buying a complete suspension system. Ecklers has a Monospring system for approximately $1000. It comes with a 315 lb spring rating. I’m building an approximately 400 hp ZZ4 motor with a 700R4 Trans. Should I increase the spring rating to handle the increased hp?

Catdog
Old 11-05-2007, 03:26 PM
0Road-Race Vette
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by catdog

Catdog
Poly is the way to go for performance and longevity.Period.
If installed corectly bushings wont squeek.

I converted one of my customers cars to the steeroids set up.He loves it.Definately more responsive than a steering box for sure.

Ecklers is the same as most other big manufacturers.(A lot of them carry the same stuff).

The 315 is ok but if you want better handling step it up a notch to the stiffer spring.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:44 PM
RxForPain
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just did the front end on my 71 coupe. Went with the poly. bushings and love it. I bought everything from VB&P and their bushings have graphite within the poly to help with squeeking. Ecklers is okay, but I would really suggest VB&P, better prices and products.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:40 PM
catdog
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the good tips. It nice to get replies from people whom actually work on cars. As you know, everybody is an expert at the parts store. You guys are great!

Get notified of new replies

To Suspension Questions 1971

Quick Reply: Suspension Questions 1971