C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to get an Ipod to work with our old C3 systems!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 02:19 AM
polo1134
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Trying to get an Ipod to work with our old C3 systems!

Anyone had any luck getting an Ipod to play on our old C3 systems? I tried dialing in my girlfriends Ipod using the transmitter that plugs into cig lighter, but it did not work! Does the stereo have to be digital to work with the trans? It's a pretty cheap transmitter maybe a better quality one would work?

I really want to keep the stock stereo in place, but commercial radio is bad around these parts. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 11-01-2007, 02:26 AM
rayluka
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?p...dept%5Fid=1029

Might think about this
Old 11-01-2007, 02:44 AM
another-user
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

i used to use a cassette adapter for my cd player. i would think the same could be done for an ipod.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:02 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sully1882 just bought a really slick transmitter unit kit for his C5 and C3. It's top notch quality and looks fantastic. I don't have the link so hopefully he'll chime in with details.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:20 AM
Attfay Elleybay
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a hardwired one from Crutchfield. Works fine (volume is lower than radio)
Old 11-01-2007, 09:10 AM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by another-user
i used to use a cassette adapter for my cd player. i would think the same could be done for an ipod.
I use one in my Passat. Sounds great.
Fm transmitters are prone to interference % static. I have several friends who aren't to happy with them.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:22 AM
spedaleden
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by polo1134
Anyone had any luck getting an Ipod to play on our old C3 systems? I tried dialing in my girlfriends Ipod using the transmitter that plugs into cig lighter, but it did not work! Does the stereo have to be digital to work with the trans? It's a pretty cheap transmitter maybe a better quality one would work?

I really want to keep the stock stereo in place, but commercial radio is bad around these parts. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

If you have a AM/FM Stereo then the only way to get your ipod to work is by R/F modulator. The stereo doesn't have any source input. R/F Modulator will work with or without a digital radio. Make sure your radio will tune into the 88 or 89 on the FM band. Some radio's, the dial freezes up in this section because of age. The lower the band the better your signal will be. Lower band radio station are weak, the higher you go up in the FM band the stronger the station are, so bleed over is much stronger around 94 and up.

If you have cassette go with the cassette adapter that will have a wire coming out of it to plug into the headphone jack on your ipod. This wll be much cleaner signal.

Or it's changing the radio with a audio source in.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:54 PM
Jay-Dog
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, what a timely subject. I just dropped a heavy hint to my wife to buy me a MP3 transmitter for use in my 76. I wondered the same thing about digital vs. analog tuners. Also, I dont have a cassette player. If this doesn't work, I'll cancel my wish list. If it does work, this an awesome alternative to messing with the original radio and bezel. Plus, they're cheap. Anyone able to confirm that they have personally used one in their analog vette radio and not a newer car?
Old 11-01-2007, 01:55 PM
Sully1882
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default this is what I am getting

Corvette Fever just had a big write up in the last edition I got and this was part of an install in a C5. The Harmon Kardon drive &play... i looked it up and it seems really nice to me... Vette fever said it worked great... I went ahead and got two of them on fleebay... one for the C5 and one for the C3... will make a posting when I install them... here's the link of what I purchased...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN:IT&ih=013

see about getting the article fromm corvette fever... it was very informative. They also recommeded getting this additional part too...said it made the reception that much better:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=003

check ebay... i bought the two together as one package but some of them don't have the FM transmitter hardwired...

hth,

Sully
Old 11-01-2007, 02:04 PM
Ak. Mal
Race Director

Location: Kansas City, MO ...I'd like to go fishing and catch a fishstick. That'd be convenient. - Mitch Hedberg

The head unit I just installed in my car has an input jack for a mp3 player. It's always a $100 option that will improve more than just plugging in an iPod into an older radio.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:08 PM
spedaleden
Safety Car

My nephew has a 78 with the factory AM/FM/ 8 track and the R/F piece works as good as a R/F can. One thing, set your volume on your Ipod about 1/2 to 3/4 volume. Anything more just over modulates the modulator and it sounds terrible.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:55 PM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by spedaleden
My nephew has a 78 with the factory AM/FM/ 8 track and the R/F piece works as good as a R/F can. One thing, set your volume on your Ipod about 1/2 to 3/4 volume. Anything more just over modulates the modulator and it sounds terrible.
Same volume if you use the cassette adapter.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:17 PM
Ron R
Drifting

I have the "digital radio that looks like the factory radio" in the 81, in the 80 (which came with an 8-track) I bought a replacement cluster piece from Ecklers that was already cut for the rectangle radios and took out the original and 8-track and shelved them. If I ever sell the car they'll go with it. In the 68 I left it original and attempted to use one of those little FM transmitter things but the problem was that in my area every single one of the frequencies available either had a station broadcasting on it, or had interference from a far away station that was well out of normal listening range but close enough to create a bunch of static.

It didn't work for me, but it might work for you depending on where you live. If your radio selection is limited you'll probably be fine.

Your other option is to bypass the radio completely and go right to the speakers from the ipod. If you have an amp this is easy enough to do - first install a 3 pin on/off switch so you can toggle the power source to the amp. Normally the amp receives power when the radio is on - you want a switch that can toggle between getting the power from the radio or getting the power from another source (an "always on" or "on when vehicle is running" line). Then just take a cable from the ipod, strip the ends, and connect them to the R/L audio input on your amp. When you want to listen to the radio, just turn it on and it's business as usual. When you want to use the ipod, turn the radio off, flip the toggle switch to power the amp, and turn on your ipod. Use the ipod's volume control. You'll be good to go.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:32 PM
polo1134
Racer

On my '74 there is no tape player just the stock radio.

The R/F modulator might work but will need to look more into that. Also going to research Sully1982's setup. I would really like to see and know how easy it is to install and what your final thoughts are on how well it works.

Anyone out there that actually has this setup done and working, what are your thoughts?
Old 11-02-2007, 12:03 AM
rihwoods
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a Sirius Sat radio and transmit on a FM station with no issues thru my 78 AM/FM 8 track...speakers are upgrade Pioneer...volume is controled at the stock 8 track receiver....
Old 11-02-2007, 08:44 AM
spedaleden
Safety Car

Originally Posted by polo1134
On my '74 there is no tape player just the stock radio.

The R/F modulator might work but will need to look more into that. Also going to research Sully1982's setup. I would really like to see and know how easy it is to install and what your final thoughts are on how well it works.

Anyone out there that actually has this setup done and working, what are your thoughts?

The HK piece is a glorified FM Modulaor. Your sound won't be any cleaner with the HK piece or a FM modulator frm BB for $15.00. You scroll for your music on the HK wheel. If I have to do that, I might as well scroll through my I pod.

Just my 2 cents
Old 11-02-2007, 09:02 AM
Surfer69
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I just went through this a couple weeks ago. Alternator whine was a big problem using tape adaptor or FM trans. Went out and got Crutch FM modulator but still had whine. Got new alternator and whine went down by 90%. FM modulator used with old "Corvette" FM/AM tape deck now works great.

Get notified of new replies

To Trying to get an Ipod to work with our old C3 systems!

Old 11-02-2007, 02:12 PM
tigers123
Burning Brakes

Having used a couple of fm modulators [wireless] in the vette and in my Buick Lesabre I'm kind of dissapointed in the sound quality and I kept having to change frequency to keep the interference down. I can't change the radio in the Buick as it ties into the steering wheel for controlling it [factory Bose nightmare] but I am putting a pioneer ipod compatible deck in the vette. Unless your cars is trying to qualify for NCRS Remove the old radio and update to one that will let you control the ipod. I did this to my Nissan Frontier and the sound was fantastic.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:09 PM
polo1134
Racer

Originally Posted by tigers123
Having used a couple of fm modulators [wireless] in the vette and in my Buick Lesabre I'm kind of dissapointed in the sound quality and I kept having to change frequency to keep the interference down. I can't change the radio in the Buick as it ties into the steering wheel for controlling it [factory Bose nightmare] but I am putting a pioneer ipod compatible deck in the vette. Unless your cars is trying to qualify for NCRS Remove the old radio and update to one that will let you control the ipod. I did this to my Nissan Frontier and the sound was fantastic.
I think I finally accepted the fact that a new stereo is what need. I like the ones from Eckler's they have a somewhat vintage look to them. The one I like is a bit pricey,the Corvette USA-6 AM/FM Stereo $260. Anyone have any thoughts on the stereo's from Eckler's? It seems pretty straight forward to install, and it says it fits dash without modifications, I hope so.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:37 PM
jshug
Instructor

Walmart carries FM Modulator.....$29.00.
If you dont like it, take it back......I like mine.

Quick Reply: Trying to get an Ipod to work with our old C3 systems!