Sponsored by:

A couple of brake questions.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 08:41 AM
Neo Fender
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default A couple of brake questions.

First, is there any issue with replacing just one caliper? I understand that on a “typical” brake job when pads are being replaced, both sides of the axle are done because if one side is worn, the other side should be as well. However, I only have a leaking caliper (right rear). All eight pads have plenty of material on them and all four rotors appear to be in good shape. If money weren’t an object, I’d replace all four calipers, brake lines and the master cylinder but I can’t afford to fix anything that isn’t broken.

Second, how can I determine if my current calipers are stainless steel sleeved? The apparent answer would be “with a magnet” but many grades of stainless steel are magenetic.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:53 AM
Hezzy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Neo Fender
I can’t afford to fix anything that isn’t broken.

how bad is your caliper? where is it leaking from? I just ordered the rebuild kit and installed them in the front calipers on my 76. so far so good!
but if you have to replace it, just the one should be fine.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:04 AM
Neo Fender
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don’t know exactly where it’s leaking from. The car sat up for nearly a year so I assume it’s leaking from the cylinder(s). I don’t have any experience in rebuilding a C3 caliper so I just planned on following the quickest/easiest path and replace the caliper with a rebuilt one.

Originally Posted by Hezzy

how bad is your caliper? where is it leaking from? I just ordered the rebuild kit and installed them in the front calipers on my 76. so far so good!
but if you have to replace it, just the one should be fine.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:16 AM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

IMO, if one leaks it's only a matter of time until another (then another) will leak. I've always done 4 at a time when one leaks. I figure if I'm in the mess, I might as well do 'em all.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:22 AM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by TWINRAY
IMO, if one leaks it's only a matter of time until another (then another) will leak. I've always done 4 at a time when one leaks. I figure if I'm in the mess, I might as well do 'em all.

All that rubber ages at the same rate. You better believe the other is right behind it.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:19 PM
stock76
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by wcsinx

All that rubber ages at the same rate. You better believe the other is right behind it.
Yes, and another will probably start leaking two or three days after you fix the first one. I bet a lot of people on this forum have been down this road and I was one of them. If they are stainless steel sleeved you can rebuild them, or just replace them with new ones.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:31 PM
vettehed
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But its not just the rubber that goes bad...its also the bore that gets rust pits in it. The hygroscopic nature of the fluid causes it to absorb moisture which eventually pits the walls of the cylinder...thats where the stainless sleeves come in. You can buy a rebuild kit for cheap, but that may not fix the leak. You almost need to inspect the bore for pitting prior to making a decision on rebuilding or replacing. The stainless sleeve is fairly thin compared to the bulk of the body of the caliper itself, so I'm not sure a magnet will tell you anything. I definitely would not waste money on a non-stainless replacement caliper.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:43 AM
ratflinger
NCM Grand Opening Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 362 Likes on 252 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '17

Right now the right calipers for your car are on sale at VB&P.

Get notified of new replies

To A couple of brake questions.

Quick Reply: A couple of brake questions.