Broken Hood Release Cable

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 10:57 AM
ddevious1
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Hood Release Cable

Hey,

Is there a way to open the hood with the hood cable broken at the front drivers side latch. I can reach up from the bottom and get the passenger side released but not the drivers. Whats the method to solve this frustrating problem??
Thanks Kevin
Old 09-04-2007, 11:38 AM
Bill Baird
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

You don't say what year car you have. When the hood release cable on my 75 broke, I was able to reach the driver's side latch from underneath. It took some studying of the AIM and a strange position for my arm, but I was able to get it.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:40 PM
ddevious1
2nd Gear

Thanks Bill, I have a "72 and I was trying that but guess my arm is too short. lol I am going to try a flat bar and bend it but any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:54 AM
corvetteload
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Can't the side gills "grates" be removed and maybe reach up in that gaping hole?!?!?!?!?!?! On my 69, they have the little individual gills and I had to remove the side molding and get the splash plate removed and reach in with something long and sturdy to pop the latch. GOOD LUCK........................B
Old 09-05-2007, 07:29 AM
Jims79
Safety Car

on later C3's you can open them w/a long screw driver from under the hood on the drivers side. place the screw driver between the windshield and hood and try to push the release over to the left or driver side. G/L
Old 09-05-2007, 07:45 AM
JimT
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

On my '72, there is a hole to the far left of the windshield well. I formed a 1/4 inch metal rod to slide down in front of the windshield but maintaing a horizontal position into the hole, then felt around for the latch. Once found, push it forward to release the latch. You may have to remove the side louver, then reach up and release the latch. Good luck
Old 09-05-2007, 11:58 AM
corvetteload
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I FORGOT ABOUT THIS!!!!!!!!!------------On my 69, I can only assume your's has it too, on the pass side in the wiper well there is a plastic plug in line with the latch. Pull the plug and insert a tool of some sort and knock latch open!!!!! It is near the wiper vacuum setup, may have to remove the wiper door, may make it easier to get at................B
Old 09-05-2007, 12:11 PM
jude
Instructor

If you pull the egg crate grill off you can shine a light up there and see the release. A large flat screwdriver will trip it open. Had to do it at a car show once. embarrassing.

Get notified of new replies

To Broken Hood Release Cable

Quick Reply: Broken Hood Release Cable