Sponsored by:

My piece of $*&@!# stereo & static

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 02:17 PM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default My piece of $*&@!# stereo & static

I know the ignition shielding is suppose to eliminate this and mine is gone.
I currently have a 20 something JVC, 5W per channel powerhouse that sounds like an old transistor AM pocket radio.
My question is when I replace it with a modern unit will I still have the static problem? Is the shielding absolutely necessary to get rid of it?
Thanks, Glenn
Old 08-03-2007, 02:27 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

New equipment should be better built and better shielded. The existing ground under the dash sux, run a new one in 12 or 14 gage wire to the birs cage on one side or the other and make sure your antenna cable is good. Frequently I have seen them with the center conductor not even soldered to the center pin. On a lot of the old stuff the wire was crap, get a good head unit and a good wire kit for it.
DB has some good posts in here on upgrades
Old 08-03-2007, 02:31 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Can't help with aftermarket stereos in Corvettes. My two are stock units; the '68 has replacement ignition shielding (distributor can only) and has no interference, but I never had interference on FM before I installed the can.

Old 08-03-2007, 03:05 PM
spedaleden
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by SIXFOOTER
New equipment should be better built and better shielded. The existing ground under the dash sux, run a new one in 12 or 14 gage wire to the birs cage on one side or the other and make sure your antenna cable is good. Frequently I have seen them with the center conductor not even soldered to the center pin. On a lot of the old stuff the wire was crap, get a good head unit and a good wire kit for it.
DB has some good posts in here on upgrades

Make sure you have resistor type plugs in the car and the plug wires are suppressor type. Make your grounds as close to the radio as possible. Never run long ground cable, it will just pick up noise.

If you are getting noise unplug antenna and see if it goes away. If it does you found your problem. A lot of installes have used the ground form the antenna, so when you unplug the antenna the radio shuts off. This is a big source of noise.

If you get alternator wine. Use a suppressor on the 12 power line and the memory power. You should be good to go. Buy a good radio not a piece of crap. That is another biggest reason for noise. You get what you pay for.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:48 PM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by spedaleden

Make sure you have resistor type plugs in the car and the plug wires are suppressor type. Make your grounds as close to the radio as possible. Never run long ground cable, it will just pick up noise.

If you are getting noise unplug antenna and see if it goes away. If it does you found your problem. A lot of installes have used the ground form the antenna, so when you unplug the antenna the radio shuts off. This is a big source of noise.

If you get alternator wine. Use a suppressor on the 12 power line and the memory power. You should be good to go. Buy a good radio not a piece of crap. That is another biggest reason for noise. You get what you pay for.
I believe it may be alternator noise because the static whine increases with engine revs.
So I take it the Ignition shielding is not necessary.
And yeah, I've read most of DB's threads which are great, but I'm not going high end since it's not my daily driver and these cars are too easy to break into, just want something better that the piece of crap in there now.
Thanks guys.
Glenn
Old 08-03-2007, 03:55 PM
spedaleden
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts

That is definently alt whine. Disconnect antenna and see if it goes away. There used to be a filter on the fuse panel for alt whine. make sure it's there. It was round and looked like brown cardboard with a wire coming out each end.

Spend at least 100 - 150 for a decent head unit.

What make of radio is in there now?
Old 08-03-2007, 06:29 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Something that will help not only the alternator whine but performance is a nice new set of 8mm+ spiral core spark plug wires. I suggest either Taylor or Accell. Both make awesome race wires with spiral core technology which is perfect for cutting down on RFI.

Also, running power and ground to the head unit from the battery directly will help a lot.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:01 PM
FRSTR90
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GD70
I know the ignition shielding is suppose to eliminate this and mine is gone.
I currently have a 20 something JVC, 5W per channel powerhouse that sounds like an old transistor AM pocket radio.
My question is when I replace it with a modern unit will I still have the static problem? Is the shielding absolutely necessary to get rid of it?
Thanks, Glenn
I know what ya mean! Before I bought my vette, I rode and drove my dad's. The engine was so loud that in order to hear any music you had to crank it up all the way! When I cranked it up all the way, I would always hear a whine according to the rev of the engine! This would drive me nuts. So after I bought my vette one of the first things I wanted was a stereo that sounded great with no whines or any kind of static.

As I was looking through CD players, speakers, and what not, I stumbled across a "noise killer." I bought it from Crutchfield and when I installed the CD player I hooked it up and have had nothing, but clear music! No whines, no static (other than some radio stations of course). However, I cant compare it to the way MY vette use to be because the original AM/FM Radio didn't work, but I can say for sure my music quality is better than any other car I've been in...

I think this is exactly what I bought if not, its very similar.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-NpUy6dm...=890&I=003S25A
Old 08-03-2007, 10:11 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by FRSTR90
I think this is exactly what I bought if not, its very similar.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-NpUy6dm...=890&I=003S25A

Those work just fine but with stereos with high sound quality the filter will also drag down the overall quality of the sound. In lower end systems it's not as apparent so it's a shot in the dark. Drop the RFI and maybe a little sound quality.

Get notified of new replies

To My piece of $*&@!# stereo & static

Quick Reply: My piece of $*&@!# stereo & static