C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you (C3 Owners) Think of the C6?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 02:25 PM
Gunn353
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the look (and performance) of the C6, They brought back the curves to make it look a little more like a C3...
Old 07-23-2007, 03:45 PM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Technically more advanced,way over priced.If I had $50,000 or so to spend,and the choice between a stock C-6,or a C-3 ....with mods,it would be a C-3 all the way! Can't be beat for sex appeal.

Of course I am slightly biased.....
Old 07-23-2007, 03:46 PM
MixxMaster
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The performance is great, the looks are pretty tame. They look too similar to a Viper, imho. I would like to see the next version to be a complete restyling, like the way they used to do for generation changes. It's not as easy to notice the difference between a C5 and a C6, if one is not a Corvette owner...
The fact that there are SO many of them out there, dilutes the mystique and head-turning power of the name.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:53 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by The Money Pit
Technically more advanced,way over priced.If I had $50,000 or so to spend,and the choice between a stock C-6,or a C-3 ....with mods,it would be a C-3 all the way! Can't be beat for sex appeal.

Of course I am slightly biased.....
Hopefully with that $50k, you can get a 5yr/100k warranty, good fuel economy, a great ride, lots of cargo space, no cabin flex, headroom, leg room, SHOULDER ROOM, etc.

I love my 78, but no matter how much money I dump into it, the new vette will always be a better all-around car.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:50 PM
panic
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Shark Racer
.........the new vette will always be a better all-around car.
it all depends what's the use you do of your car...i'd surely prefer a C6 as a daily driver but to toy around on a saturday night i'd choose my C3...these are two different cars altogether and cannot be put together to choose which is 'best', i have the modest opinion that a bone stock C6 is just similar to an hypothetical lower roof 2 doors cayenne S (or to any other fast all round business and politically correct car...) , comfy, fast, secure, pollution (near) free, well assisted and with all the amenities our soft asses deserve but far from beeing an icon and an extraordinary piece of modern art...

Last edited by panic; 07-23-2007 at 05:11 PM.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:59 PM
HUSKER-Z
Pro

Thus the reason I bought my 05 GTO. I love the performance, but the price just didn't make sense. LS2 for 10k less.

I am a fan of the new body style, but if I was to pony up the $$ I'd go Z06.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:02 PM
Lucky13
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by panic
it all depends what's the use you do of your car...i'd surely prefer a C6 as a daily driver but to toy around on a saturday night i'd choose my C3...these are two different cars altogether and cannot be put together to choose which is 'best', i have the modest opinion that a bone stock C6 is just similar to an ipothetic lower roof 2 doors cayenne S (or to any other fast all round business and politically correct car...) , comfy, fast, secure, pollution (near) free, well assisted and with all the amenities our soft asses deserve but far from beeing an icon and an extraordinary piece of modern art...
Not sure what ipothetic means but if it's anything like apathetic then we may be talking about different cars.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:11 PM
Glensgages
Race Director

Received 62 Likes on 35 Posts

.........the new vette will always be a better all-around car.
..... it all depends what's the use you do of your car...
Old 07-23-2007, 05:13 PM
panic
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Lucky13
Not sure what ipothetic means but if it's anything like apathetic then we may be talking about different cars.
sorry...my english is far from beeing perfect (and it shows:o ), i wanted to say: 'hypothetical'
Old 07-23-2007, 05:26 PM
Lucky13
Burning Brakes

sorry...my english is far from beeing perfect (and it shows:o ), i wanted to say: 'hypothetical'
Got it. Thanks
Old 07-23-2007, 05:34 PM
75 Red Vert
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm lucky enough to have a 2005 and a 1975. Although they are both Vettes, there is a world of difference between the two, performance and visual.

My 75 gets more comments and looks. The 05 is comfort, speed and a few comments.

I kid my wife that the only reason they built the C5 and C6s were so that Chubby people can sit in them and drive them.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:39 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Glensgages
All-around comprises of:

ride comfort
handling
fuel economy
aesthetics
ergonomics
reliability
cost of maintenance
acceleration
top speed
seating comfort
etc

Ride comfort: C6 by a long shot, and I'm comparing a Z06 to a 78 gymkhana car.
Handling: C6 by a long shot, even if you take away the overall grip, the 78 gymkhana car is twitchy and unreliable.
Fuel economy: C6 Z06. By a long shot. Even compared to my 78 with an OVERDRIVE transmission.
Ergonomics: C6, by a long shot. Everything is easier to grab and use. Controls are closer to you.
Reliability: C6, going to electrical removed a lot of condition sensitive equipment (vacuum lines). The LSx motor is a much better design than the gen 1 small block. This is no surprise.
Cost of maintenance: The C3 is cheaper in almost every single way. I can't think of any part on the car that's more expensive on my 78 than it would be on the Z06. The LS2 powered cars are the same.
acceleration: The stock C6 is faster than any C3 ever produced. Period. There is NO stock-configured C3 that could outrun a C6. Add slicks to the equation and the C6 is still faster than the stock C3s.
Top speed: The L-88 with tall gearing will edge out the Z06. Maybe. Definitely will edge out the regular car. Otherwise, the C6 takes the lead against all comers.
Seating comfort: If you're over 5'10, the C6 wins hands down. I love my 78, but I always have to have my left arm out the window in order to steer.
Aesthetics: I like the looks of the C3 much better, especially a big-block hunkered down and looking ready to kill.

This is what I mean by better all-around car. That doesn't mean I think the C3 is a bad car by any means, but if I had to pick one car to own for the rest of my life, I would shamefully choose the Z06.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:44 PM
vetteaddic
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm working on getting a 07 or 08 z06,but no one whats to give GMS on them, only the regular vettes,so I've been looking at the 2008 vettes with 436hp and so far on the dyno 390rwhp bone stock and 430rwhp with a tune and cia,you ad headers and cam 500+rwhp, thats what LG Motorsports have done.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:49 PM
fauxrs2
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've owned a C4 and my C3 - the C4 was a good car, decent performance, and excellent handling but its styling is a bit pedestrian if you ask me.. The C5 never flipped my switch I'm afraid, although it was a slight improvement over the C4...love the technology and the performance, you cant argue that, but again the styling never appealed.

The C6 at least has taken on a bit more of style than the C5, I like the crease in the fender crowns and the rear end seems less bulbous than before...I'm not quite there yet but I find the C6 growing on me.. albeit slowly.

I doubt very much I will ever go out of my way to get one though. If I were given the choice between a C6, Viper or Elise... I'd likely take the Viper or Elise over the C6...
Old 07-23-2007, 06:06 PM
windup
Instructor

Ok lets put it this way.

C3=Oldish sexy milf

C6=Young sexy **** star,

Both have their uses,but the oldish sexy milf has proven that she has aged and matured into a classic beauty,kept her good looks and fiesty personality.

Do you think we can say the same about the young sexy **** star in 30 years time?
Old 07-23-2007, 06:10 PM
Glensgages
Race Director

Received 62 Likes on 35 Posts

acceleration: The stock C6 is faster than any C3 ever produced. Period. There is NO stock-configured C3 that could outrun a C6. Add slicks to the equation and the C6 is still faster than the stock C3s.
I'm a bracket-racer, where all-out HP/TQ isn't as important as consistency and reliability:
in many cases, the only time EFI-cars win bracket-races is when they are competing exclusively against-themselves, and to my knowledge nobody makes a tire that'll fit a C6 capable of hooking-up consistently-enough to be a serious contender.

Old 07-23-2007, 06:14 PM
mikebaskette
Instructor

Default Under 40K

We have a dealer here in San Diego that sells the base model under
40K. For those with no house or no teeth this is should not be undertaken. But for the price, nothing compares.

Get notified of new replies

To What do you (C3 Owners) Think of the C6?

Old 07-23-2007, 07:47 PM
check714
Intermediate

I agree with all who thought that the C3 ended an era, but after drivng my friends C6 this weekend there is something to be said.
If I didn't love my C3 so much the C6 would be my next choice. I like the options the one member has, a C3 and a C6, both beutiful
Old 07-23-2007, 07:53 PM
randommj
Safety Car

Originally Posted by windup
Ok lets put it this way.

C3=Oldish sexy milf

C6=Young sexy **** star,

Both have their uses,but the oldish sexy milf has proven that she has aged and matured into a classic beauty,kept her good looks and fiesty personality.

Do you think we can say the same about the young sexy **** star in 30 years time?
wierd

Miles
Old 07-23-2007, 08:06 PM
stock76
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

If I had the garage space I would probably go the other way and spend the money on a half way decent C-2. No doubt a much better investment. The newer corvettes really don't do all that much for me. The older body styles looked like nothing else on the road - you knew what it was when one passed you by....and you wanted one.

Quick Reply: What do you (C3 Owners) Think of the C6?