Sponsored by:

4 spd clutch safety switch

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 08:29 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 430 Likes on 308 Posts

Default 4 spd clutch safety switch

I finally got around to investigating why my car will start in gear. The wire is disconnected from the switch. I'm betting there's a reason why considering how hard it is to reach it. Anyone have any tips on how to actually reach it, I want to reconnect the wire just to see what happens, but can't for the life of me figure out how to get my hand in there. The seat is out, and I'm lying on my back but cant' reach it.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:41 PM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I find this thread funny because I have the same situation. I've been meaning to fix my disconnected wire for about 5 yrs but do not want to break my back trying to get up and under the dash.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:52 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

I swear it looks like it would be easier to cut a hole in the firewall from under the hood and then go back a patch it. I'm headed out to the garage for another shot at it. Maybe I should try some streching exercises first.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:17 PM
moosie982
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by C3 4ME
I swear it looks like it would be easier to cut a hole in the firewall from under the hood and then go back a patch it. I'm headed out to the garage for another shot at it. Maybe I should try some streching exercises first.
Bubba ,,,,izat you ? They do that when they refurbish submarines, Peace,,,Moosie
Old 07-17-2007, 12:14 AM
skeptic
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had that problem with mine as well. I tried to disconnect it where it connects to other wires in order to troubleshoot why my car wasn't starting at all, and accidentally pulled it out of plug you are talking about. I tried 3 or 4 times, probably a half hour each, and could not get it. Then I pulled the front seat and was finally able to get it after about 10 minutes. What I ended up doing was using this cheap-o $5 multi-tool. It unfolds into a a small needle nose pliers and has a small led light on it. Using that I was able to wiggle into a position where I could reach the plug and with the light I could see what I was aiming for.

HTH.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:10 AM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

thanks skeptic. After some searching I found your post in the archives about this same this same thing. I do have a pair of long needlenose pliers that I will try tonight. I bet the switch is bad and that's why it's disconnected, so I'll probably just wind up disconnecting it again and having the fun of figuring out how in the heck to get in there to replace the switch. Don't worry Moosie, no chance of me actually doing something that drastic, but it sure would feel good.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:05 AM
CTZR1
Burning Brakes

I had the same problem with my '70. When I was on the road I blew the clutch. I could not get the car into gear. On the road car running, thinking it may be linkage, I am checking from the clutch peddle on down. Unable to see a darn thing under there I follow the linkage to the clutch start switch. Tucked in there so nice and sweet. Well in the midst of my blind digging and groping I managed to pull a wire out of the plug. Nice.. Once I had determined it was not the linkage but the clutch itself, I could not get the ole girl started, I knew what I did when I was digging around down there... sure enough i needed a needle nose and a flashlight to try and waggle that wire back into the plug. I am just glad the wife could not find the camera to get a picture of that contortionist position head up under the dash, lower back on the front seat, feet sticking up out through the t-top, I am 6'2" . I do not think I could do it again. Taking the front seat out is definately the way to go.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:26 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I jumped mine so I would not have to get in it everytime I wanted to started while working on the eng. Just make sure to rattle the handle EVERYTIME you go to start it.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:32 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Fevre
I jumped mine so I would not have to get in it everytime I wanted to started while working on the eng. Just make sure to rattle the handle EVERYTIME you go to start it.

Me too. I want mine to start in gear. It saved me two times when the clutch link pin broke rendering the clutch useless. I just started it in gear and drove home that way. (The Muncies shift pretty easily without releasing the clutch once the rpm is matched.)
Old 07-17-2007, 11:44 PM
Mark PittPayne
Instructor

You will definitely stretch muscles you didn't know you had getting at it. You may find that once you hook it up the car won't start. When they quit working, a lot of us just bypass it instead of fixing it. I don't plan on ever putting the clutch safety back on mine.

Get notified of new replies

To 4 spd clutch safety switch

Quick Reply: 4 spd clutch safety switch