Sponsored by:

The looks from the young kids

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 10:49 AM
Kenny Bonnell
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default The looks from the young kids

My wife took my 73 out for ice cream last night and a little cruise. I still can't get over how the younger kids today love the C-3's. When we drove up to our favorite ice cream shop there was a young boy probably 7 or 8 years old and I could see him smiling and pointing to our car. As we were leaving another young boy proabably around 10 and I would guess his sister were walkng with who looked to be his grandparents and as they passed my car in the parking lot I could hear his grandpa telling him it was a Corvette. The boys jaw was hitting his chest as I fired the car and his sister had a huge smile on her face. They both looked like they were in a trance as we drove off. Later in the cruise we passed a ball diamond as a game was going on, several kids turned and pointed as we drove by.
What a great feeling, I feel bad for the kids of today when they look at the newer cars and see what looks like the same car over and over. I guess when they see a C-3 they are seeing something really different. Great fun.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:54 AM
2th farmer
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CI 6-8-9 Veteran

Originally Posted by Kenny Bonnell
My wife took my 73 out for ice cream last night and a little cruise. I still can't get over how the younger kids today love the C-3's. When we drove up to our favorite ice cream shop there was a young boy probably 7 or 8 years old and I could see him smiling and pointing to our car. As we were leaving another young boy proabably around 10 and I would guess his sister were walkng with who looked to be his grandparents and as they passed my car in the parking lot I could hear his grandpa telling him it was a Corvette. The boys jaw was hitting his chest as I fired the car and his sister had a huge smile on her face. They both looked like they were in a trance as we drove off. Later in the cruise we passed a ball diamond as a game was going on, several kids turned and pointed as we drove by.
What a great feeling, I feel bad for the kids of today when they look at the newer cars and see what looks like the same car over and over. I guess when they see a C-3 they are seeing something really different. Great fun.
To me the C3 is the epitome of the corvette and everybody knows the 73 is THE best year for the C3 Good story, keep cruising!
Old 07-08-2007, 11:03 AM
GM for life
Cruising

I had my car in the local 4th of July parade and then it sat at the firehouse all day during the festivities. Same type of responses from the little ones. It's like they don't quite know what they are looking at, but they know it's something really different and really cool. Makes me realize how over the top the styling really was when it was new and still to this day.

Hell.......even the teenage ricers love the C3....tho I'm not really sure that's a good thing!! I overheard one of them saying, "It's so old it has chrome bumpers". My respnse to myself was....."That's right biatch.Chrome!!"
Old 07-08-2007, 11:09 AM
Bruthish
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'06-'08-'09

Something similar..I was getting Ice cream too, but my wife was in the passenger seat...when a woman pulled out and said out her window t my wife "I wish i was you"......i am ASSUMING it was because of the vette, but I guess it could have been because it was of me
Old 07-08-2007, 11:22 AM
JungleCat
Safety Car

Received 253 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Kenny Bonnell
That's the thing about C3s. It just proves that styling means as much to some people as performance.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:44 AM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

people love the C3s.....you should here/see the looks i get with the 69 tilt front vert ....with flares and no bumpers.... it looks like a hot wheels car and people just love it
Old 07-08-2007, 01:20 PM
C3 RV
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '15

I you really want to make a little kid's day, pop the headlights up while they are looking at the front of the car. One day we were in the drive through at dairy queen and there were a line of kids up front. One little pre-school boy kept leaning around the corner to look at the car as we waited for what seemed forever. About the 3rd time he stuck his head out, I popped up the headlights and then dropped them when he went to get his buddies. Of course, the headlights didn't come up when everyone was looking. When just he stuck his head around again, the headlights came up again.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:49 PM
3 Vette Man
Intermediate

To my friend's 4 boys, I am the guy with the "race car".....(stock 81). It is different, that is why I like it. I have had a '57 Nomad, '63 Caddy,
'62 Impala, and now 4 vettes....what the hell happened to style.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:42 PM
7Deuce
Racer

I had my 72 out for a cruise last weekend. Pulled up to a stop sign where a bunch of younger kids were out front playing in the yard. All I heard as I pulled up to the stop were shouts of "awesome car" and "we love your car." They all stopped what they were doing to watch. That seems to happen a lot with the kids. Funny thing..I owned a 99 frc vette for a couple of years before my 72 and that never happened
Old 07-08-2007, 02:44 PM
71 Green 454
Le Mans Master

Received 1,186 Likes on 650 Posts

This topic reminds me of a conversation I had with my wife last week. I mentioned to her that since man has been on this earth, classic cars are just a pencil dot on the time line. They were only made for a short period, and they don't make them anymore. As a kid, I always admired chrome... whether it was on a car, bike, or any metal object. Today's cars are basically the same, and I don't see them ever becoming classics or something to be restored.
Now I need to get my car out of the garage and take the wife out for some ice cream.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:49 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

...was at the local drive-in getting a burger in my '68 convertible last week and a car went by with a small 5-6yr old boy hanging out the window yelling "Corvette, Corvette, Corvette". Funny, they don't know C4s, C5s or C6s, but they know C3s as a "Corvette".
Old 07-08-2007, 03:51 PM
panic
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

...the purity of the C3 lines perfectly match the purity of children eyes...that's why they get crazy when they see our rides...
Old 07-08-2007, 04:01 PM
kidneyboy
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Filling upast summer a van pulled into the next pump and the driver (Dad) began fueling. A little guy about 9 was beside himself in the van almost in tears that he wanted to see the "race car" up close and Dad was making him stay by the van. I asked him if he wanted to sit in the drivers seat and he almost jumped out of his shoes he ran so fast to hop in. There he was sitting behind the wheel going "VROOM VROOM" with me and Vettegirl just laughing. It was very cool and the little guy was thrilled. I loved it!
C3's are THE vettes.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:23 PM
Overlord
Le Mans Master

Location: Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of the women TX

It's the older kids too. Took my 10 year old to get fireworks at a huge stand on the 4th. We got out of the car and hadn't gotten to the back bumper before a car of high school kids was stopped sideways behind me. Five faces trying to fill one front door window and all of them talking at the same time.

With the T/A all I got was kids trying to race me on the way to work. I work at night, I don't want to race, I'm just trying to keep from spilling my coffee....
Old 07-08-2007, 04:36 PM
my mach 5
Racer

Same kind of story as well. I stopped over at a buddies house to run an errand and his 9 year old son told his Dad that a "race car just pulled in the driveway". The little guy came running out with a Hot Wheels C3 and showed it to me. I took him for a spin so he could tell his friends how he went for a ride in it. He was grinnin' from ear-to-ear after that.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:44 PM
Kenny Bonnell
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kidneyboy
Filling upast summer a van pulled into the next pump and the driver (Dad) began fueling. A little guy about 9 was beside himself in the van almost in tears that he wanted to see the "race car" up close and Dad was making him stay by the van. I asked him if he wanted to sit in the drivers seat and he almost jumped out of his shoes he ran so fast to hop in. There he was sitting behind the wheel going "VROOM VROOM" with me and Vettegirl just laughing. It was very cool and the little guy was thrilled. I loved it!
C3's are THE vettes.
I agree with letting the kids sit in the car, or giving them a ride. Some of you might know I am a crew chief on a nostalgia funny car, and at every race I try and put at least one kid in the car for pictures. Some are afraid, but many get huge samiles and can't wait for mom or dad to take a picture. Who knows, we might be starting the interest in a future Corvette driver, or a race car driver. I love to make the kids day because it makes mine too.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:56 AM
wirebill
Instructor

Just this past Saturday I was driving my 73 and three young boys on bicycles were going by, looking and pointing and then one of them yelled out "Nice ride, dude". I had to laugh.

Get notified of new replies

To The looks from the young kids

Old 07-09-2007, 02:25 AM
Graemeinvette
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

If you guys are getting these comments in the USA, imagine the comments I get when I take my 70 through Edinburgh in Scotland where I live (when I'm not in Moscow that is). Apart from the looks and comments, the noise reverberating off the old tall buildings in the narrow streets is something to be heard. It brings a smile to everyones face, not just mine!
Old 07-09-2007, 02:28 AM
another-user
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

when my car actually runs, i get the same thing. if i drive through a friends subdivision, i see every one out side just stop what theyre doing and watch.

best so far is when i have to pick up something for my sister at her high school and i have the vette. seems like the car just gets swarmed with kids as soon as i pull up, and they all love it. which honestly, completly suprises me as this is a very very rich school with the kids driveing hummers, fully loaded escalades, new Jags, new BMWs, and ive heard tell that on occasion a Lotus Elise, a Ferrari Testarossa and Modena, and a Viper show up in the lot, and almost no one bats an eye at this stuff. here i come, in a 69 vette that has half the paint missing, and is being held together by chewing gum and chicken wire, and i get swarmed.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:48 AM
curtis74
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great story! I know exactly what you mean...........

Quick Reply: The looks from the young kids