Sponsored by:

How to open door with stuck latch

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 05:14 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 318 Likes on 269 Posts

Default How to open door with stuck latch

The passenger side door latch hasn't been working right for some time. I found that it would jam every time I used the inside locking mechanism. I unhooked this and only used the key. A couple of weeks back, that stopped working. The door was locked and shut so at least I could drive it.

I managed to get the door panel off from the inside. Prying pretty hard, I am still not able to free the lock. I don't mind replacing the latch, but i can't even get the door open and can't get the latch out without opening it.

Any ideas? I'm starting to have thoughts of cut off wheels and that's usually a good time to stop and post.
Old 06-03-2007, 05:33 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't cut off anything. It's very easy. You need a long flat head screw driver and a flashlight. Place the flat tip on the part of the mechanism being pointed to. It's right up against the bulkhead. You'll see it. Get the screw driver on it, and push down firmly. It may slip off once or twice but once you get a good contact and push it down the door will pop open.
The following users liked this post:
Thumbs (05-13-2019)
Old 06-03-2007, 07:48 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Thanks for the fast post DB, but I think it must be for a different year. The jammed lock is on my 81 and It looks somewhat different. I'll try to take a decent pic and post it.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:53 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CA-Legal-Vette
Thanks for the fast post DB, but I think it must be for a different year. The jammed lock is on my 81 and It looks somewhat different. I'll try to take a decent pic and post it.

Yeah this is from a '77, and they will be different but the mechanism should be similar enough to help you find the correct the lever to actuate manually.

A pic would be great.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:00 PM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 136 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Durango_boy
Don't cut off anything. It's very easy. You need a long flat head screw driver and a flashlight. Place the flat tip on the part of the mechanism being pointed to. It's right up against the bulkhead. You'll see it. Get the screw driver on it, and push down firmly. It may slip off once or twice but once you get a good contact and push it down the door will pop open.
Exact picture that worked for me. got my door open when both inside and outside handles wouldnt work.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:01 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Ok guys, I was able to find a pic on line of the latch (79 to 82). As you can see, the part that you're pointing at is covered. That's why I kept wondering. Suggestions?

Old 06-04-2007, 08:54 PM
randommj
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get a running jump

dukes of hazzard style!

Miles
Old 06-04-2007, 10:21 PM
paulywannafly
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 374 Likes on 64 Posts

think the outside door handle rod is still pushed down . handle will pop up but rod is still loading the latch and WILL not unlock till returned to neutral
try lubing pivot at bottom of door handle and force outside door handle rod back up . then unlock door it will open
Old 06-12-2007, 12:09 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Originally Posted by paulywannafly
think the outside door handle rod is still pushed down . handle will pop up but rod is still loading the latch and WILL not unlock till returned to neutral
try lubing pivot at bottom of door handle and force outside door handle rod back up . then unlock door it will open
Looks like this was the problem. I disconected every rod to the latch and then was able to easily free the lock. Not sure which was the culprit but at least now I can open the door and see the latch and rods clearly.

Thanks again guys.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:58 AM
7t5
Le Mans Master

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I had to resurrect this thread. Thanks for the info, I tried to open it for an hour. 3 minutes after reading this I was standing in front of an open door. Durango Boy/ Corvette Forum rock!
Old 07-07-2010, 07:58 PM
redglassvette
Advanced

Default door latch wont work

i have the opposite problem, door locks wont work, and the door wont shut! kinda hard to drive down the road holding the door....tia
Old 06-13-2011, 02:05 PM
Keith333
2nd Gear

Any tips/tricks to removing the door panel from a 75' when the door is locked closed with this problem? I have the screws out (bottom three plus door pull, the rest are busted (I thinK) from previous owner), but the interior door handle is a problem. There doesn't seem to be any room to manuver the panel forward to clear the door handle. Any help will be appreciated!
Old 06-13-2011, 03:36 PM
Derrick Reynolds
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15, '17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by Keith333
Any tips/tricks to removing the door panel from a 75' when the door is locked closed with this problem? I have the screws out (bottom three plus door pull, the rest are busted (I thinK) from previous owner), but the interior door handle is a problem. There doesn't seem to be any room to manuver the panel forward to clear the door handle. Any help will be appreciated!
With the door closed, that would be tough. Luckly, the door handle (the thing you pull on to open the door) is only held on with one screw. Unscrew that screw, wiggle the handle off, and you won't have any trouble with it after that. But, I'm not sure how you got the screws around the outside of the panel off with the door closed.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:02 AM
corvette31
Heel & Toe

Default can't get door to un lock

I put new outside handle on rhs of car, door opened fine with new handle tried locking door it locked but would not unlock seems like it is not throwing unlock lever far enough can;t budge it door is shut but will not open at least door panel is off any suggestions
Old 07-05-2013, 11:30 AM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

You have to adjust the outer handle linkage so there is no tension on the mechanism when the handle is all the way up. Disconnect the outer handle and the lock should work again and you can open the door.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:20 PM
corvette31
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by '75
You have to adjust the outer handle linkage so there is no tension on the mechanism when the handle is all the way up. Disconnect the outer handle and the lock should work again and you can open the door.
okay I'll try it . Do I have to remove hande again or just linkage that back nut is a pain in the butt to start thanks again
Old 07-05-2013, 09:57 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts

To open the locked door...first of all, open the door that you can still open. Take of the interior panel. Now with the door open, and the panel off, practice opening this door where you can see more about what you're doing. This is what I did for my 68 and 70 !!! I've had a locked door hit on each car.

Once a door latch has locked up on you...think about replacing it. Up until a few years ago, new 69 to 82 latches were still available..still available? Need a 68 latch...this is a different world. The interior levers in these latches are 0.070 inches thick of soft steel, once one gets bent or deformed you've got to start thinking about getting rid of it. If it jams once, it'll most likely jamb again.'

Get notified of new replies

To How to open door with stuck latch

Quick Reply: How to open door with stuck latch