Sponsored by:

Question about 200 r4 transmission

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 10:13 AM
Jchrisd
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Question about 200 r4 transmission

Hello there. I have been reading post on the 200 r4 trans, and the lower 1st gear and the overdrive.. Question is....If I were to do nothing other than remove my 350c trans out of my 81 vette and install a 200 r4 would I notice any major difference when pulling out from a dead stop compared to the gearing in the 350c??
Question two.. There are a few U-Pull-it yards in my area. What cars or trucks had these transmissions in them? I would hope not just camaros.. If you know, please fill me it. I don't want to have to look under every car, as I am sure you guys know, it isn't the safest thing in the world the way some of these cars are stacked ect..
The reason I am doing this is I am looking for the high way driveability and more low end pull out. I got rid of the 2.56 gears and installed 3.73, and there is a big difference pulling out, but it needs a little more.

Also..Have any of you guys installed the 58cc chamber 305 heads on your engine? I was considering this. I built my engine to work from 600rpm to 4500rpms so I don't need high flowing heads, but I would like to raise the Compression to make my cam more effective. I figure I could fine a set of these in the yard as well, and just rebuild them at work.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:10 AM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Regals, some cadillacs, monte carlos, those are the ones that come to mind but I am sure there are others.
DO the rebuild yourself with a goot Master kit, get one with the Red Alto clutches. Also get a Transgo Shift kit and a good stall converter.
The lower 1st gear will give you a bit more grunt off the line even with stock rear end and the over drive will give you longer legs on the hiway with some improvement in gas milage.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:34 AM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 138 Likes on 73 Posts

Here is some info that might help you
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo-Hydramatic
Old 05-27-2007, 08:13 PM
minitech
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

What about keeping the stock trans and adding an electronic controlled overdrive?
Old 05-29-2007, 09:55 AM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by minitech
What about keeping the stock trans and adding an electronic controlled overdrive?
The addition of overdrive is a Lot of work and cost, for the $$ and amount of work, it would be better to go with a builtup 2004R
Old 05-29-2007, 10:06 AM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

If you'll notice a difference in acceleration depends on your converter.. There should be a slight difference as the 200R4 should accelerate faster.. Don't know if it'll be noticeable though...

If you want to get a stronger TH200R4, get one from a Buick Grand National.. The ones from other vehicles might be too weak..

Get notified of new replies

To Question about 200 r4 transmission

Quick Reply: Question about 200 r4 transmission