Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

69 dies at car show

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 02:04 PM
Meh
Team Owner

Received 51 Likes on 28 Posts

When you figure that out, you can come check mine over. Volts will drop below 12 for a bit while driving, then jump back to 13.5 or so. I'm guessing a bad connection somewhere, most likely in the one place I can't reach or don't think to check, etc. Luckily, no issues yet, but the first time I go on a trip where I'm relatively far from home, it will happen.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:18 PM
rihwoods
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Me2
When you figure that out, you can come check mine over. Volts will drop below 12 for a bit while driving, then jump back to 13.5 or so. I'm guessing a bad connection somewhere, most likely in the one place I can't reach or don't think to check, etc. Luckily, no issues yet, but the first time I go on a trip where I'm relatively far from home, it will happen.
Good to hear from you...could be alternator "fluctuating" in your case..or nothing to worry about...but check frame grounds first...clean/hook back up...that is my first move...
I'm going to check/clean all grounds,clean fuse box connections,etc...in meantime,I'll get some seat time in the 78.. Been "neglecting" the rubber bumper step child...

Rich

Last edited by rihwoods; 05-17-2007 at 02:20 PM.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:41 PM
71rdster
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rich,

You might check your bulhead connector in the engine compartment (back side of fuse box). The connectors may be corroded where your engine and light harnesses hook up to the fuse box. A little steel wool, some dielectric grease and your good to go. By the way, I like Red Robin's big burgers and endless fries, but Sonic is just around the corner.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:10 PM
rihwoods
Race Director

Originally Posted by 71rdster
Rich,

You might check your bulhead connector in the engine compartment (back side of fuse box). The connectors may be corroded where your engine and light harnesses hook up to the fuse box. A little steel wool, some dielectric grease and your good to go. By the way, I like Red Robin's big burgers and endless fries, but Sonic is just around the corner.
Got it..thanks...been researching some common circuits which may use relays..such as headlights,starter etc...but puzzled a bit over influence of light switch affecting current to engine(starter)...I'm getting it on ramps...disconecting battery..and will follow all suggestions made by you and all others..really appreciate all the ideas...they are on my new "check list"...
Meantime..I've fired up the 78 and moved it out of the garage for more room to work...wife will guide me onto ramps...trying to keep 69 in garage...

As theesir said..I got a "wrinkle".....

Rich
Old 05-17-2007, 07:23 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 757 Likes on 526 Posts

Rich,
I just took a look at my schematic for my '71 and there is a wire going from the headlamp switch to the ignition switch. For what, I don't have a clue because my lights can come on even when the key is not in the ignition. I am using my AIM schematic and it is hard to follow sometimes. It's been a while since I've looked at it and with the AIM schematic you have to teach yourself how to read it correctly especially the way the fuse panel/bulkhead connector is drawn. I did teach myself correctly because I used it to fix my wipers. I'll study it some more and see what I come up with. Right now my son wants me to play some B-Ball with him before he has to do his homework.
John
Old 05-17-2007, 07:53 PM
Restorod '79
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not long ago I put a dimmer switch on the floor of the '79 because the column rebuild didn't go so well. When I stepped on the button, ( while driving at night) it killed the whole car for a moment. I thought it was the new hi/lo button, but with a meter determined it was in the VERY COMPLEX light switch. I replaced with a generic NAPA switch, ( I have no vacc sys.) and all was fine. My point is- the whole car, ignition included was killed by the short, or problem in the switch.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:53 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

I have a friend who had a problem with his 70. The car would shut off and have no power. I don't know if a 69 has the same set up but on the driver side inner fender there is a relay and a fuseable link. The link would burn out. He found that with the headlights on there was a wire rubbed through going to the lowbeam light on the driverside. After fixing it he never had a problem.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:51 AM
rihwoods
Race Director

Originally Posted by Corvette ED
I have a friend who had a problem with his 70. The car would shut off and have no power. I don't know if a 69 has the same set up but on the driver side inner fender there is a relay and a fuseable link. The link would burn out. He found that with the headlights on there was a wire rubbed through going to the lowbeam light on the driverside. After fixing it he never had a problem.
I just looked at the relay today...plan to test that and I'll certainly look at wires at headlights...thanks...

Rich
Old 05-18-2007, 10:33 AM
Tim Schrum
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default show

hey Rich does that mean that you won't be going to the car show this weekend, then no compition with my 69

Tim S.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:31 AM
Crunch-o-Matic
Racer

Originally Posted by 45ACP
Crunch-o-Matic: Looking at your avatar image, it appears that you have a very, very clever duck. Excellent piece of work on his part - few would be able to capture and bring home a dog that size, even with many years of experience.
Duck training is a challenging prospect...hard to convince them that the Lab doesnt want to eat them!
BTW: The lab is named "Kia"; she is 13yrs young and still hunts!

Cheers,

Crunch
Old 05-18-2007, 11:35 AM
Crunch-o-Matic
Racer

Originally Posted by rihwoods
Battery cables are tight and look in good shape......good point about "jostling"...I'm going to get it up on ramp and check grounds first..hopefully,I find a loose one...I had cleaned those grounds about 4 months ago...

Rich
Grounds are the simple and obvious. I wouldnt have thought of the highbeam relay mentioned in another thread.

There are some very solid recommendations within this thread and this is what I like about the forum.

Electrical problems are "fun"...best of luck and I hope you get it figured out before the weekend.

Cheers,

Crunch
Old 05-18-2007, 03:58 PM
Strats-N-Vettes
Friend Request Magnet
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 149 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by rihwoods
I just looked at the relay today...plan to test that and I'll certainly look at wires at headlights...thanks...

Rich
Whats the verdict/culprit?

Jim
Old 05-18-2007, 04:27 PM
rihwoods
Race Director

Originally Posted by Tim Schrum
hey Rich does that mean that you won't be going to the car show this weekend, then no compition with my 69

Tim S.
I was just going display anyway with some Corvette guys from our Corvette /Cobra group out of San Diego...I burned out on trophy runs last year.....this year I'm doing only one more show after this one in August.....

You have a very good chance...good luck..

Rich
Old 05-18-2007, 04:33 PM
rihwoods
Race Director

Originally Posted by Strats-N-Vettes
Whats the verdict/culprit?

Jim
Nothing yet...got side tracked.... But going thru diagrams...

Rich

Last edited by rihwoods; 05-18-2007 at 04:52 PM.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:45 PM
FRSTR90
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is your electric fuel pump hooked up right to were it will not cause any electrical problems? Also can we see some pics of that 502??
Old 05-19-2007, 09:05 AM
rihwoods
Race Director

Originally Posted by FRSTR90
Is your electric fuel pump hooked up right to were it will not cause any electrical problems? Also can we see some pics of that 502??
Here are some pics...

In the process of checking all electrical hook-ups/grounds...will know more next week...got a run to make today in the 78....fishing with son tomorrow...

Rich
Old 05-19-2007, 05:48 PM
FRSTR90
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rich,
thats a nice looking engine... Is that the Torker manifold, the TorkerII or what manifold??

Get notified of new replies

To 69 dies at car show

Old 05-19-2007, 11:57 PM
rihwoods
Race Director

Originally Posted by FRSTR90
Rich,
thats a nice looking engine... Is that the Torker manifold, the TorkerII or what manifold??
Yes..it is the Torker 2.0 which carb is on a 20 degree slant...old school single plane intake from the 70's...running a 750 Holley...

Rich
Old 05-20-2007, 12:08 AM
MsVetteMan
Melting Slicks

Awe.............poor baby...............:o

Last edited by MsVetteMan; 05-20-2007 at 12:31 AM.
Old 05-20-2007, 02:16 AM
427SIXPACK
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 453 Likes on 268 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

This exact thing happened to me a few weeks ago, turned on headlights & car shut off while driving.

SOLUTION:
found that the positive cable on my battery had been spliced together by bubba in the tunnel, not in the box & there was a bad connection. It was also arking to the frame. Lucky not to have a fire. Also replaced all wire braided ground straps, 2 new battery cables, added new OPTIMA YELLOW battery, & no more ISSUES or TISSUES !!

ZIXXXPACKER

Quick Reply: 69 dies at car show