Rust protection ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 03:42 PM
jakvette
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Rust protection ??

Hi Guys ,
Does anyone know if rust protection / rubberizing was part of the factory assemble process or after market ?

The rear parcel area is covered in a black rubberizing like a rust preventer, it's very thick and uneven and then has a coating of contact adhesive over it when someone tried to glue the carpet . I am trying to scrape it all off so I can have a smooth surface to stick the dynamat to , but it's going to take some time to get this smooth and back to the metal underneath .

Cheers ,

John
Attached Images  
Old 04-16-2015, 03:57 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

It's factory undercoating. The primary purpose was for sound deadening and insulation, but it can help prevent rust. You're also looking at carpet glue.

Old 04-16-2015, 04:49 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi John,
I believe it might have something to do with the model year of the car.
Certainly 68-72 cars had no 'undercoating' sprayed in the interior.
A minimal amount of undercoating was sprayed in the front and rear wheel-wells….. but very, very, little.
Regards,
Alan

Old 04-16-2015, 07:39 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by jakvette
Hi Guys ,
Does anyone know if rust protection / rubberizing was part of the factory assemble process or after market ?

The rear parcel area is covered in a black rubberizing like a rust preventer, it's very thick and uneven and then has a coating of contact adhesive over it when someone tried to glue the carpet . I am trying to scrape it all off so I can have a smooth surface to stick the dynamat to , but it's going to take some time to get this smooth and back to the metal underneath .

Cheers ,

John
John,
By no means am I telling you what to do on your corvette. But I install Dynamat. And I would not remove this stuff. IF I wanted to add some DynaMat Extreme to it. I would apply it to the backside of this panel and leave the outside alone.

if you are concerned about noise....applying it to the backside will achieve the SAME result. And knowing that HEAT is not a factor here...that is why I would not worry about getting it clean.

If you just have to get this stuff off because now you are on a mission to get it clean...use a heat gun. One this areas gets covered with carpet...no one will ever know.

From your photo and what I can see....I am guessing that your Corvette is pre-1976. You have seat belt retractors that mount under the seat...and the floorboards are still fiberglass. Hard to say for sure due to the three pop rivets over by the area where your seat belt retractor is installed. The floorboard may bee steel....just not enough of a photo for me to be for certain. Not that it matters.

DUB
Old 04-17-2015, 01:45 AM
jakvette
Racer

Default Insulation

Hi Guys,

Thanks a stack to all that responded i really do appreciate the replies .
So Mike its primarily sound deadening insulation ? thanks you are a wealth of information , this forum is blessed to have guys with such in depth knowledge of these vehicles , better than any AIM any day .

Dub the car is a 73 and the covering is strange , not uniform , in fact in the corner closest to the passenger seat there isnt any at all !! yet over the wheel arches as well as inside the wheel arches there is plenty of the stuff I will clean it off on both sides and treat the metal and repaint it all before installing the dynamat .

I have another querie as well , when i took out the carpets covering the wheel arches there were two chrome brackets almost the same as the seat belt strap guides fitted to the rocker channels . Why would they be on the wheel arches hidden under the carpet , they were not doing anything like providing a cable or vac hose routing , yet they are chrome , they dont assist in the seat belt area as they are set too far back ?? They must have been installed for a reason

Thanks to all the guys who replied .

Cheers,

John

Originally Posted by DUB
John,
By no means am I telling you what to do on your corvette. But I install Dynamat. And I would not remove this stuff. IF I wanted to add some DynaMat Extreme to it. I would apply it to the backside of this panel and leave the outside alone.

if you are concerned about noise....applying it to the backside will achieve the SAME result. And knowing that HEAT is not a factor here...that is why I would not worry about getting it clean.

If you just have to get this stuff off because now you are on a mission to get it clean...use a heat gun. One this areas gets covered with carpet...no one will ever know.

From your photo and what I can see....I am guessing that your Corvette is pre-1976. You have seat belt retractors that mount under the seat...and the floorboards are still fiberglass. Hard to say for sure due to the three pop rivets over by the area where your seat belt retractor is installed. The floorboard may bee steel....just not enough of a photo for me to be for certain. Not that it matters.

DUB
Old 04-17-2015, 06:11 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by jakvette
I have another querie as well , when i took out the carpets covering the wheel arches there were two chrome brackets almost the same as the seat belt strap guides fitted to the rocker channels . Why would they be on the wheel arches hidden under the carpet , they were not doing anything like providing a cable or vac hose routing , yet they are chrome , they dont assist in the seat belt area as they are set too far back ?? They must have been installed for a reason
It is always wise to post a photos of your concern if possible. It aids in any conflict on what parts are called and their mounted location.

The small chrome brackets are used for your T-top strap. It provides a place to secure it in two places in the back ( one on each side) and the last one is in between your seats. These two chrome brackets look just like the one at the top of the panel in your photo where it would be in between the seats.

I am having to say that is what they are ...but in your comment...you said that they were fitted to the rocker channels....and that is NOT where they are located(or should be)...because the rocker channel is where your door sill mounts to when you open up the door.

The large bracket that is located on the inside of your rocker channel is for routing your seat belt form under the seat.

DUB
Old 04-18-2015, 02:27 AM
jakvette
Racer

Default chrome brackets

Hi Dub,

Thanks a stack for your input , i do have a pic of the brackets unfortunately they are on my I pad and i was sending my replies to the forum from my office computer .

That clears up quite a bit now and its obvious that the PO replaced the carpets at some time or another because the brackets were just covered over by the carpet , i was actually stupid because on my 80 vette i have all the straps in the parcel area and just never gave it a thought to go and have a look .

Yes you are correct about the brackets for the seat belts on the rocker channels , when i cut out the rusted out units i had to fabricate new units as these were also badly rusted . If i could only find out why the pictures on my I pad will only load one attachment at a time i could post lots more info that i think might be of use to other guys doing the same repairs to their cars , but its a real pain in the butt and time consuming sending one pic at a time . Maybe i need a course in technology instaed of restoring my vette Nah , vette comes first

and thanks again for taking time out to reply .

John

Originally Posted by DUB
It is always wise to post a photos of your concern if possible. It aids in any conflict on what parts are called and their mounted location.

The small chrome brackets are used for your T-top strap. It provides a place to secure it in two places in the back ( one on each side) and the last one is in between your seats. These two chrome brackets look just like the one at the top of the panel in your photo where it would be in between the seats.

I am having to say that is what they are ...but in your comment...you said that they were fitted to the rocker channels....and that is NOT where they are located(or should be)...because the rocker channel is where your door sill mounts to when you open up the door.

The large bracket that is located on the inside of your rocker channel is for routing your seat belt form under the seat.

DUB
Old 04-18-2015, 01:48 PM
nwav8tor
Old Fart Pilot
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 344 Likes on 206 Posts

To get all that goop and glue off, try a wire wheel on a drill. That's what I used throughout the interior of my '71 and it worked well. Just don't press down too hard and stop once the material is removed but before the base surface is affected. All of my fiberglass floor boards are still intact and the "zinc chromate" primer is still on the cockpit rear vertical riser. Saves a TON of elbow grease!
Old 04-18-2015, 03:18 PM
andy67
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Dont take that goop off it is sound deadner just clean it up nice then paint over it. I have a 74 and I'm doing the same thing here's a before and after

Get notified of new replies

To Rust protection ??

Quick Reply: Rust protection ??