Sponsored by:

The new LT-1 is in but not running yet Pic's

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 06:17 PM
Jims79
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default The new LT-1 is in but not running yet Pic's

OK I put the strong running L-48 up for sale and decided if I sell it then that's it. I building my LT-1 350/400 SB. Mark from NC owns the L-48 and now I have a custom built LT-1 in my vette. I think Mark will be very happy w/his purchase. The shop took the heads, intake & oil pan off thinking they were going to rebuild the L-48 or buy it for a core. After some yelling on my part they put the motor back together w/all new gaskets. Turns out the little L-48 was rebuilt only 20K miles before & everything was tight as a drum. It has a Comp Cam performance package in it. A monster cam, double springs, lifters, a double roller timing chain and not one pit of dirt or sluge inside the motor. After hearing & seeing all this I wanted to keep the L-48 for another project. But a deals a deal and Mark made out w/a very good deal. I'm glad its going into another vette his 71 coupe. OK now for the new motor. I had built an LT-1 350/400 SB for the 79. I'll give details later right now enjoy the pic's.

PS Mark if you read this before the motor gets to your place tip the driver well. Him & I worked for over 2 hours to load everything onto the 18 wheeler. Why did it take so long that's another story.

Old 05-01-2007, 07:01 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

i stopped by and looked at it today it looks good.....what are you saying that rolling an engine down a gravel driveway is not the easist thing to do?
Old 05-01-2007, 07:07 PM
Jims79
Safety Car

Originally Posted by bobs77vet
i stopped by and looked at it today it looks good.....what are you saying that rolling an engine down a gravel driveway is not the easist thing to do?
That was the easy part. It was lifting it 5 feet in the air to get it onto a flatbed 18 wheeler that sucked. My back is killing me. When the L-48 was loaded we looked at the short block 350 and the little driver said "that one too" Then he said a bunch of things in Spanish. I don't think he was too happy.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:31 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod

did the engine lift help out?

do you still have the bungie cord that wraps around the legs?
Old 05-01-2007, 09:04 PM
Jims79
Safety Car

did the engine lift help out?

do you still have the bungie cord that wraps around the legs?
W/out the engine lift I would still have the two motors sitting in my garage. I do have the bungle, I just wanted to get the lift back while I still had a truck. I'll drop off the cord Wed.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:31 PM
RIJVETTES
Burning Brakes

Hey, from a former guy from Jersey: thanks for the great pix of the new engine, and I'm sharing your pain movin the old one. Give us the update on the LT1 when you can.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:08 PM
cochise12us
Advanced

Default hey jim

hey jim just wanted to thank you again for all your help with getting my motors and engine stand to me, i took care of the driver this morning , he was ok this morning but said alot of stuff in spanish about you and his ordeal loading my stuff , but as always greenbacks make people smile . i will be sawpping out the motor this saturday after some prep work in the eng. comp. just bought a brand new cherry picker for 50 bucks so i am ready, be glad your having someone do the sawp for you , i had a hell of a time getting the radiator and shroud off mine , i have the wife going underneath the car tonite to unhook the bell housing starter etc.she said she wanted to help hahaha, any way i will post some pics as the swap takes place, your new motor looks fantastic i bet that vette will scream when your finished you did a nice job of prepping the eng.comp. it looks great, good luck to you and i want everyone who reads this thread to know jim is a great guy to deal with stay in touch my friend
mark
Old 05-02-2007, 01:00 PM
Jims79
Safety Car

Thanks Mark, good luck w/your swap. I want to see pic's of the L48 when you repaint it before you install. Oh the temp sending unit tab broke off when the motor hit the side of the flatbed. Chicken s*it driver jumped out of the way when the motor decided to swing his way. Maybe you can use the one off your old motor. G/L Jim

PS don't throw away those old moroso valve covers. you can cut open the tops & use them to adjust the valves. keeps oil from getting all over the motor. good tool to have in the garage.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:24 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jims79
PS don't throw away those old moroso valve covers. you can cut open the tops & use them to adjust the valves. keeps oil from getting all over the motor. good tool to have in the garage.
i didn't realize i gave them to you........i stopped by and saw them on the engine.....i guess they were in one of the boxes of parts.....those things have a fine pedigree.....
Old 05-02-2007, 08:25 PM
Jims79
Safety Car

i didn't realize i gave them to you........i stopped by and saw them on the engine.....i guess they were in one of the boxes of parts.....those things have a fine pedigree.....
You didn't give them to me. I knew you wanted to cut the top off to make a new tool for your collection, So I picked up a used set from Chris.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:29 PM
Jims79
Safety Car

Update. Today the LT-1 had life fired into it. A little gas in the q-jet and w/one turn of the key she fired to life. Man somewhere near 400hp sounds nice. The cam was broke in 20 mins at 1500 to 2500, valves and carb adjusted and shut down to rest. A good day. W/a little more adjustment she is coming home. I'll post pic's when she home.

Oh I used my rebuilt Q-jet and the shop had a used edelbrock performer. I was hoping for an RPM but things didn't work out as planned. Next year.

Get notified of new replies

To The new LT-1 is in but not running yet Pic's

Quick Reply: The new LT-1 is in but not running yet Pic's